Community
Wiki Posts
Search

southwest early bird boarding is a sham

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:51 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
My experience this week ... and returning, a near COS took the window so the middle stayed empty and might have been the only empty middle on the flight. I did use my trick of opening up the wsj paper in a big way to help mask the seat being available..
The seat in the middle was really not available because it was not completely empty.
... self enforce ... saving seats ...
Other than for extremely rare and coveted seats like in exit rows, why would you want to force yourself next to someone you really don't want to sit next to and also who really does not want to sit next to you?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:01 am

Assume there are only middle seats available when you board. I'd rather sit next to a small person rather then sit next to a passenger who is almost a "COS", even if the small person is trying to game an empty middle seat.

Originally Posted by AllanJ
The seat in the middle was really not available because it was not completely empty.

Other than for extremely rare and coveted seats like in exit rows, why would you want to force yourself next to someone you really don't want to sit next to and also who really does not want to sit next to you?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jkburns1
screw the alarm.. throw in a lil bracelet that gives the GA a lil shock each time the GA scans a seat >5 off.

Then you'll see a new sense of enforcement now won't ya?
Or, perhaps more positively, give each GA $10 for each flight that is boarded in numerical order.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Since I was scolded a few days ago, it is my turn.

It is Operations Agents that scan the BP's. Gate Agents stand at the desk and pass out blue sleeves and tell people how late the flight will be.

See, I train well.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta,American, British Air
Early Bird not always early

I booked a flight to denver for saturday with my wife and myself months ago. I did EB for me and later added EB last week for my wife. At check in I got B 7 she got A56. Customer service said that EB are assigned randomly and that there was no benefit to my booking it months earlier. If true save your money if flight is not full you probably don't need it and if it is you can always add it later.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
You're right. Plenty of testimonials here.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: sw
inform me how you are going to know if your flight is full or not when buying early bird.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
Originally Posted by grain
inform me how you are going to know if your flight is full or not when buying early bird.
Try to book 8 seats a couple days out.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
They should lift the fee and limit the sales. People don't want to pay and then perceive no value - even if it's just ten bucks. Really disagree with how Gary and his bean counters are looking at this, even though I'm A-List and not affected by it.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:33 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

How many RR 2.0 points do you earn for paying EBCI?

I can guess what the answer is, I'm just surprised to have not seen it asked or discussed previously.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:48 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ftnoob

I can guess what the answer is, I'm just surprised to have not seen it asked or discussed previously.
It's unfare.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ftnoob

40 if you use your wn visa lol
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:32 pm

Do you mean for a round trip?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by rove312
Do you mean for a round trip?
Yeah sorry for roundtrip. $20 would be 20 points and since its a WN purchase would be double.

Something that REALLY irritates me over EBCI is you cant use a WN gift card to pay that fee.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:57 am

Flying MCO - LAS today on award with EBCI - got A20. That's the best I've seen since a few months after they rolled out EBCI. Totally worth my $10 this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.