Community
Wiki Posts
Search

southwest early bird boarding is a sham

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Justin026
As a newcomer from AirTran, the main things we seem to be worried about on this board are (a) boarding early and (b) getting to the seats with a little extra room or that are up front in the plane.

I think what SWA should do is set aside maybe three or four rows in the front of the planes and give them some extra room. Possibly, they could improve on that with some service perks, like some free drinks en route. Then work out a way for your frequent flyers to have first crack at getting those seats by boarding first.

If you need any ideas about how that part of the plane could look, you already have 130 of them in service with green stripes on them.
This won't really work with the SW system. There are so many through flights where previous passengers do not deplane. The through passengers can actually change seats before the new passengers board.

SW has always allowed seat saving, they just use the verbage of "claimed seat". It's up to the passengers to sort it out amongst themselves. If I had status or paid for EB and the FA refused to allow me to sit in an unoccupied seat, whether claimed or not, then I would be writing to SW and every news station that would listen. IMHO, SW is seriously removing any benefit of status, BS fares, and EB by their refusal to deal with this issue.

After Rotten Rewards 2.0 was rolled out, our SW spending has dropped significantly. We cancelled the SW credit card and only use SW when they have a non-stop where others don't. There often is not a price incentive to fly SW, so why bother with all the hassel?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by normalone
I honestly don't know why anyone would buy EBCI unless they absolutely were not going to have internet/cell phone access the day before the flight.

Based on the posts here basically everyone who pays the money in hopes of a "better" seat ends up feeling screwed by something - line cutters, seat savers, pre-boards, or through passengers.
Hello - my name is "Janet". I pay for EBCI to avoid the hassle and pick a seat before the masses. Sometimes I do feel "screwed".
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by GottaLuvCruising
Hello - my name is "Janet". I pay for EBCI to avoid the hassle and pick a seat before the masses. Sometimes I do feel "screwed".
If you are comfortable with spending the $$ to avoid the hassle, more power to you. With the current enforcement policies (i.e. nothing) factoring "picking seats before the masses" into your cost/benefit analysis is flawed.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
I have sat in "saved" seats when they have been in the exit row, and have argued with the "saver" over the policy on occasion and refused to budge. The FA didn't make me give up my seat, or tell me that it is OK for the other guy to save his seat. The FA just took a neutral position, and I took my seat, and the saver stayed upset. If I enter the plane before another person, I am entitled to any vacant seat, and if it's in the exit row, I'm going to take it. If you want to save a seat, don't make it a premium seat and it will probably work for you.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
This won't really work with the SW system. There are so many through flights where previous passengers do not deplane. The through passengers can actually change seats before the new passengers board.
He was just word for word describing Airtran business class and the A+ Elite program. It really wouldn't be that hard to have assigned seating for business and free for all in the back but obviously Southwest thinks their way is best and they are sticking to it no matter what.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by westau
He was just word for word describing Airtran business class and the A+ Elite program. It really wouldn't be that hard to have assigned seating for business and free for all in the back but obviously Southwest thinks their way is best and they are sticking to it no matter what.
I know what he was describing. Still won't work for SW. SW has many, many flights that have through passengers making one or two stops and picking up additional passenegers on the way. SW also allows hidden city ticketing. So seat allocation won't work under the current model.

It will be interesting to see if/how SW merges seating and boarding with Airtran. Until then it is pointless trying to comapre how SW currently does boarding/seating to Airtran.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by westau
Just as Airtran was sticking to their assigned seating policy, no matter what - even though a much more successful airline than they were was not assigning seats.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
Just as Airtran was sticking to their assigned seating policy, no matter what - even though a much more successful airline than they were was not assigning seats.
If one airline does something that no other airlines do(at least no big ones) and over the course of many years no airlines choose to follow along with the plan of that one airline, why would anyone assume that is the best way to fly? Are all the other airlines just too stubborn and dumb to follow Southwest?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:33 am

I know what he was describing. Still won't work for SW. SW has many, many flights that have through passengers making one or two stops and picking up additional passenegers on the way. SW also allows hidden city ticketing. So seat allocation won't work under the current model.

It will be interesting to see if/how SW merges seating and boarding with Airtran. Until then it is pointless trying to comapre how SW currently does boarding/seating to Airtran.
I thought most people were assuming that as quickly as possible Southwest was just going to convert Airtran's planes and do everything the Southwest way. The executives have already said they are keeping open seating and doing away with Airtran business class. Those are basically the only differences between the 2 procedures that matter.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN

Sorry, MMP, I was mostly kidding with my post. But I'm not sure I agree that it is pointless comparing the two airlines' ways of handling this. This board is full of threads complaining about how SWA does it now. The subsidiary with the 138 planes doesn't have the problem that started this thread: allegedly sham early boarding.

Why is it less pointless to wait until after they merge their operations and then to talk about how AirTran used to do it?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Originally Posted by lougord99
Just a bit of history: the old AirTran and the old ValuJet both had cabin layouts and boarding methods identical to the old SWA methods. After their merger, they installed the first class cabins and adopted the current method of coach seat assignments.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:28 am

I found strange my EB seating which I purchased months ago for a flight from Ft Laud to Denver got me A-51. My companion pass holder (wife) got A-24.

Weird.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sofakingcane
I found strange my EB seating which I purchased months ago for a flight from Ft Laud to Denver got me A-51. My companion pass holder (wife) got A-24.

Weird.
Yes, this is SW way of saying that EB gives them an extra $10 but guarantees you no true value. It is simply a chance that you MAY get a better number than a random person checking in at 24hrs.

There has been a fault in the system of allocating boarding numbers for a long time. SW is aware of this but has chosen not to correct it. They are still willing to collect extra money and not provide the service being sold.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Yes, this is SW way of saying that EB gives them an extra $10 but guarantees you no true value. It is simply a chance that you MAY get a better number than a random person checking in at 24hrs.

There has been a fault in the system of allocating boarding numbers for a long time. SW is aware of this but has chosen not to correct it. They are still willing to collect extra money and not provide the service being sold.
When Boardfirst.com existed I always got an EXCELLENT boarding pass with them. This was before BS and A-list though and there were times I received a-1. Something I liked about boardfirst was they guaranteed you an A boarding pass. I wish Southwest would offer that same guarantee with EBCI. ANd if an a boarding pass isn't obtained allow the people who paid for EBCI with a B boarding pass to board after A, but before family boarding.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Southwest is not selling early boarding or even a better position in line. They are selling a GAMBLE.

Of course, the house always wins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.