Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
try this ...

If the FA's stuff is really old or lame (and I can't remember when I last heard new material from a Southwest FA), I tell him/her that there are a whole bunch of other Southwest FAs out there stealing their stuff. That gets the message across without being obnoxious about it.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
One more reason not to fly WN, er, apart from the fact that they banned me from doing so in the nineties
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
One more reason not to fly WN, er, apart from the fact that they banned me from doing so in the nineties
You must have done something REALLY bad to have gotten banned from WN
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

It was not 30 seconds of shut eye. It was 5 to 10 minutes of nonstop banter, and THEN he followed up with the safety demo, with more banter liberally tossed in ... and everyone knew he was not going to stop. No one responded to what he was saying .. not a laugh, not a grimace, not a comment ... NOTHING.

What they do is no different than the person sitting next you that you have never met that insists on talking to you the whole flight. You can be courteous and tell them to stop, you can be polite when you ask them, you can try to feign sleep, and nothing helps. And I suppose that you would just sit there and do nothing to finally tell them enough is enough.

Or how about a kid that keeps kicking your seat or being loud and the parents do nothing to calm and/or quiet the kid down. I suppose you think it would be proper to just put up with it.

Frankly, there is no difference between the above behavior and the behavior of a FA that is constantly on the intercom with drivel.

I call BS on all of it and frankly, so should Southwest.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

So I was on a WN flight yesterday, early am flight, and the head FA for that segment just kept trying to tell jokes on the intercom. When no one said anything, he kept saying "rough crowd" (a la Rodney Dangerfield). And all this BEFORE the safety demo!

So now he goes into the safety demo, sprinkling jokes along the way. When no one says anything, he says there will be a test at the end. He finishes up and says "Any questions before the test?"

Whereupon I yell out "Yes, I have a question. Is our plane today one of the Southwest planes equipped with a sunroof, and if so, can you demonstrate how to use it?

And suddenly, he decided to stop telling jokes .... thank GOD.
To the OP,

And YOUR joke was in bad taste. Nuff said.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
If the FA's stuff is really old or lame (and I can't remember when I last heard new material from a Southwest FA), I tell him/her that there are a whole bunch of other Southwest FAs out there stealing their stuff. That gets the message across without being obnoxious about it.
^

And the sad part is that, the incident the OP was referring to with the sunroof was not even SWA fault. Boeing admits it was their fault and NOT SWA.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by rrz518
Who appointed YOU spokeman for the "majority of customers on board"???

What is the basis for this comment, aside from personal opinion? On which study/poll/marketing analysis, etc., are you basing the comment that "the majority of customers on board would appreciate it?"

To make such a statement without said backup is, in itself, douchbaggery. You are entitled to an opinion, but please don't speak on behalf of a group.
^
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Miles&Points

..and this relates to Miles&Points....how?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
You should call Gary and beg him to let you back into their fantastic, well run airline....
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
You must have done something REALLY bad to have gotten banned from WN
Short skirt?
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by spineangel
You should call Gary and beg him to let you back into their fantastic, well run airline....
Yes, since it's totally different people running the airline, if he asks nicely enough maybe they will let him back in. And if he's really lucky maybe they will let him enroll in the wonderful new RR program
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Although I have heard most of them, I like their jokes and consider it a feature of SWA. If you want a stuffy airline, go fly with UA or DL. Pay their change fees. If DL really is cheaper, why weren't you flying with them on that day? Maybe the extra $20 at SWA was worth it for two free bags and no change fees? Maybe SWA had a better schedule for your needs? Surely you didn't give up a chance (albeit a small one) for a first class upgrade just to hear corny jokes?

Jokes about the "sunroof" are inappropriate when on-board. Even Jay Leno's jokes about them are getting a bit old. From everything I have read and heard, Southwest did everything by the book with regards to inspections. The airplane that was going PHX-SMF that landed SAFELY in YUM, along with the few others that had cracks were traced to manufacturing at Boeing at about the same time. Something was wrong with the manufacturing process during that narrow window.

FA's need a snappy comeback for those who make remarks about the "sunroof." Did you even check if it was a -700 or -300 before you made the remark? If it was a -700, the FA should have told you, no sir, this is one of our newer -700 aircraft. All of our aircraft are maintained in strict compliance with the recommendations of the FAA and Boeing.

Another one that the FA might have thought, but had the sense not to say might have been: You sir, if you stay in your seat, with your seat belt fastened, are at very little risk. I, on the other hand, have to be up and about to get you a free drink. Are the drinks even free over on DL? If the roof pops, I'm a lot more likely to get sucked out than you. But I'm not really worried about the roof. They have been inspected.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FCfree
Although I have heard most of them, I like their jokes and consider it a feature of SWA. If you want a stuffy airline, go fly with UA or DL. Pay their change fees. If DL really is cheaper, why weren't you flying with them on that day? Maybe the extra $20 at SWA was worth it for two free bags and no change fees? Maybe SWA had a better schedule for your needs? Surely you didn't give up a chance (albeit a small one) for a first class upgrade just to hear corny jokes?

Jokes about the "sunroof" are inappropriate when on-board. Even Jay Leno's jokes about them are getting a bit old. From everything I have read and heard, Southwest did everything by the book with regards to inspections. The airplane that was going PHX-SMF that landed SAFELY in YUM, along with the few others that had cracks were traced to manufacturing at Boeing at about the same time. Something was wrong with the manufacturing process during that narrow window.

FA's need a snappy comeback for those who make remarks about the "sunroof." Did you even check if it was a -700 or -300 before you made the remark? If it was a -700, the FA should have told you, no sir, this is one of our newer -700 aircraft. All of our aircraft are maintained in strict compliance with the recommendations of the FAA and Boeing.

Another one that the FA might have thought, but had the sense not to say might have been: You sir, if you stay in your seat, with your seat belt fastened, are at very little risk. I, on the other hand, have to be up and about to get you a free drink. Are the drinks even free over on DL? If the roof pops, I'm a lot more likely to get sucked out than you. But I'm not really worried about the roof. They have been inspected.

WHen did WN start offering free drinks???????? Unless you are in Business select which you get 1 free drink (and they are unlimited in first class on Delta and the other airlines) or have the drink coupons (and in my case seeing I bought a lot of them being told I could use them on monster and they would never expire, when in fact they do, I am PAYING for those drinks), they charge $5 for drinks. Delta does offer 1 free drink to non upgraded customers who are gold and higher, providing the have one on us coupon feature works. WN can tell me all the corny jokes they wnat if they provide free drinks
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:46 am
Original Poster

My "joke" was not a joke, it was a comment designed along the lines of "can't you just keep quiet so people can try to get some sleep?", You're right, I suppose I could have just said that.

And, he certainly DID shut up after my remark, so I view it as entirely successful and entirely appropriate.

What IS inappropriate is a nonstop babbling FA, with no regard to the passenger's sanity and comfort, inflicting himself on them.

Why couldn't he maybe tell one joke, maybe two ... see that no one was into what he was saying, into his shtick, and then give it a rest?

And as for the tired refrain of "Well, go fly another carrier", sometime you don't have a choice. But to your point - WN is not the cheapest. I carry on so free bags don't mean anything. Free standby on other carriers vs paying up to catch an earlier flight on WN also goes against WN. FF redemption in C around the world vs middle seat Y in the US. So yes, I don't fly WN unless there's no other viable option.

If they truly want to lure BS passengers from other carriers, then they need to provide the services and environment that those customers (who are, for the most part, pretty savvy) desire, while maintaining the appearance of the old WN for those that like the party bus atmosphere. Just like they are not the old low fare carrier anymore, but they try to maintain the appearance that they are.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orwaid
But to your point - WN is not the cheapest. I carry on so free bags don't mean anything. Free standby on other carriers vs paying up to catch an earlier flight on WN also goes against WN.

If they truly want to lure BS passengers from other carriers, then they need to provide the services and environment that those customers (who are, for the most part, pretty savvy) desire, while maintaining the appearance of the old WN for those that like the party bus atmosphere. Just like they are not the old low fare carrier anymore, but they try to maintain the appearance that they are.
Good points.

WN used to be the cheapest but lately that isn't the case, at least on the routes I check. If you have elite status with any other airlien you actually get a more generous baggage allowance than with WN, since you can check two 70-lb bags vs 2-50lb bags with WN, and on other airlines higher elite level members bags get tagged with first class and come out first, so if checking bags is a bag deal to a frequent flyer (which most FF's I know try to carry on whenever possible) they would be better off getting elite status with delta than A-list with WN.

I think the business select is a joke as well. A gold member or higher that doesn't get upgraded is going to get the same (or possibly better) benefits in Y on a cheap L, U or T class ticket than a BS ticket on WN. Instead of having to board like you do on WN, you can be the last one on board and still have a great seat, your bags come out first if you have to check bags, providing the have one on us function is working you get a free drink, if you want to board early you get to board right after first class, and if you want to fly earlier and there is space available you can for free, plus you have a chance at sitting in First if your upgrade clears on that trip.

I don't know why all the legacys don't call out WN on their no change-fee ads. I will admit when I flew WN a lot, I liked being able to change the ticket if prices went down and have the savings for future trips and last year I had a WN flight so delayed I decided to drive (it was so delayed I arrived into chicago driving before my plane even left DTW) and had all the funds to use on future travel (but I was also told that if you have metal on DL and the flight was delayed five hours they would have refunded my ticket in full instead of making me use the credit on another flight). True you save the $150 if you need to change the flight, but on the other airlines if you are elite you can fly on an earlier flight the same day for free and if you aren't it's only a $25 or $50 fee, WN makes you upgrade to a full fare ticket and then you end up sitting in a middle seat in the back of the bus since you are going to end up boardnig last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.