Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:18 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Yes, most likely. If so, however, it will post as 1,200 points, which you can convert to the needed credit. You will only need to worry about calling customer service if you specifically need an extendable Standard Award. And if your earn-by date is many months away, waiting to top off is better and cheaper than having an award issued this weekend and paying $50 to extend it.
I thought that the only way you could top off your account was to pay, which meant $50,- since it is $25/1000 pts (and 1200 pts = 1 cr).

Originally Posted by mile ho
I've spent a good deal of time working through 2.0. 2.0 is all about driving the BS fare. Notice on the How to Earn page of their website on the A+ portion, it says at the top, 'The amount of your fare determines how many points you earn. Simply put, when you spend more, you'll earn more points. Now you have another reason to go for that Business Select Fare.' The way 2.0 is structured it will be difficult for the majority to acheive A+ and CP without utilizing the BS fare. I believe A+ and CP are WN's F/C-style seats, pre-flight drinks, etc.
I understand what you are saying, but just because you call a fare "Business" doesn't mean it has all the trappings of business. Surely, you'd concede that WN's BS product is inferior to ALL of its rivals. Given that, and the changes to the system, where is the incentive to remain a loyal business customer on WN?

I just don't see it.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I looked at some numbers and came up with a rough estimate that award trips average about 50% longer by mileage.
More proof that FTers are not typical customers!

The example passenger probably redeemed those seven intra-CA awards for short-notice flights (WGA not available). The transcon was probably a vacation trip for which he would have only paid a WGA fare.

For the example passenger, therefore, the use of the seven awards for intra-CA travel was the glaring weakness, not the use of the one award for the transcon. That is the problem that RR 2.0 is designed to eliminate.
Weakness from Southwest's point of view? In RR 2.0, I would NEVER redeem for a short-notice flight. At the A+ level I would get 1/3 of my Anytime fare back as an effective rebate toward future WGA trips. That's a much better deal than redeeming points at 40% less value than normal.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Realistically, from the above information you are likely costing WN money and they will benefit from dumping you. If I used the CP and awards as effectively as you do, they might benefit from dumping me too!
Maybe so. But I imagine they make good money from the CC and a lot of the time my son and I are on planes with empty seats, so that doesn't cost them much. And I steer a lot of people to WN, not least by posting here.

If an WN earnings mall comes in, I anticipate hitting that hard, and I presume they will make money there.

I doubt WN will make it in this economy focusing on BS-A-Listers and people flying once a year to see Grandma. The blatant effort to skew things to reward people paying 4x for a seat seems odd to me. Many of the people they are trying to attract wouldn't consider WN anyway, because they want their F and Europe, which aren't that big a deal to me.

But we shall see.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:38 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Maybe so. But I imagine they make good money from the CC
I figure Southwest makes about 1% of your credit card spending. Nearly all of that 1% is profit, but it's still only $500 for $50k of spending.

People like you and me could leave without any damage to Southwest's bottom line, and they know it.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I figure Southwest makes about 1% of your credit card spending. Nearly all of that 1% is profit, but it's still only $500 for $50k of spending.

People like you and me could leave without any damage to Southwest's bottom line, and they know it.
Plus whatever they got selling 1.0 credits to Hilton, Budget, etc.

And now with "the rest this calendar year and all of next year" on the CP, it should be even EASIER for me to get it (or at least cheaper in spend terms, per year). I might have to front-load some serious spend in the first few months of the year, though, if they do away with SPG, etc. transfers.

How does that change make sense if they are losing money on me?

Last edited by toomanybooks; Feb 22, 2011 at 11:56 am
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by uxb
I thought that the only way you could top off your account was to pay, which meant $50,- since it is $25/1000 pts (and 1200 pts = 1 cr).

I understand what you are saying, but just because you call a fare "Business" doesn't mean it has all the trappings of business. Surely, you'd concede that WN's BS product is inferior to ALL of its rivals. Given that, and the changes to the system, where is the incentive to remain a loyal business customer on WN?

I just don't see it.
I know. I don't see it either. If you'd seen my previous posts on this thread, you'd know I think trying to push their BS fares through 2.0 is going to fail. I wasn't making a case for their BS product at all, just saying that 2.0 is all about the BS fare and that's why the all new 2.0 is going to be a net loser. You can go back a few posts (#953) and I pretty much lay out what I think about it there.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:16 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
I know. I don't see it either. If you'd seen my previous posts on this thread, you'd know I think trying to push their BS fares through 2.0 is going to fail. I wasn't making a case for their BS product at all, just saying that 2.0 is all about the BS fare and that's why the all new 2.0 is going to be a net loser. You can go back a few posts (#953) and I pretty much lay out what I think about it there.
I think I agreed w/ RR 2 being a "net-loser," but I think my reasons were slightly different. Doesn't matter. My "luv" affair w/ WN is over. :-P
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
If he earns eight awards and redeems one of them for a 2,000 mile (each way) long haul and the other seven for 400 mile (each way) intra-CA trips..

I cringed when I read that...but then I remembered as nsx later mentioned, not all WN fliers are FT'ers.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
Nope. You can top off an award later by converting 1200 pts. to 1 credit. Those can be points earned through flying, partners, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
I cringed when I read that
Ya know?! I'm sitting on 4 rewards (and am only using the one expiring in April 'cause I don't want to pay to have it reissued) 'cause there's nowhere I want to go in the ConUS right now, but I'll be damned if I use any of 'em to run up the CA coast!

(... of course, the flip-side of this is my Mother in FLL will probably see a lot of me in the upcoming year )

However, NSX' point about how "not everyone is an FTer" is probably highly relevant to this thread, as I suspect that the guy who spends an SA to go ~400mi is likely way more typical than we think- it's a "free ticket"- and probably more-relevant to the model for RR2.0 .
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by nsx

If WN is able as you say to gather 1% off the top there is also this to consider:
For every 19.2k in spend (less if it's with WN or its partners) 320.00 in fare is generated. WN would of course be paid by Chase for the points they provide to the customer. While Chase probably gets a decent discount I would still venture to say that WN receives another 275.00 or so in revenue in exchange for the 320 in fare provided the customer. Chase is responsible in effect for selling thousands and thousands of $320 blocks of WN product. The cash amount ($275) WN receives is just my guess. Others more in the know could elaborate.

But I do believe most FFers underestimate the amount of revenue received by the airlines as a result of our activity with their partners. We have always paid for our 'free' tickets, CPs and everything else we get from the airlines. Sometimes it was just through a middleman, aka 'our partners'.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:09 pm

3 RR Questions

At the risk of being flamed because I haven't read all of the nearly 1,000 posts in the RR2.0 thread, here it goes:

1. Can an RR 1.0 award be used for a one way trip for 2 pax?

2. Will it be possible to convert an RR1.0 award to RR2.0 credits which can be more valuable for advance purchase, short haul.

3. Will we be able to use RR2.0 points as partial payment of a new ticket?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:47 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If WN is able as you say to gather 1% off the top there is also this to consider:
For every 19.2k in spend (less if it's with WN or its partners) 320.00 in fare is generated.
The bank does not pay WN 1% of the 19.2k and then pay WN another $320 for the RR credits/points deposited in your account. It's just the 1%, which is my guess since the actual numbers are proprietary.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by JSteele
At the risk of being flamed because I haven't read all of the nearly 1,000 posts in the RR2.0 thread, here it goes:

Yes.

2. Will it be possible to convert an RR1.0 award to RR2.0 credits which can be more valuable for advance purchase, short haul.
No.

Sort of. You will be able to purchase blocks of points for cash, and then use those purchased points in combination with your earned points to buy a ticket. You will not, however, be able to simply use 3,000 existing points as a $50 off coupon and pay the remainder of the fare with cash.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:56 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JSteele

1. Yes
2. No
3. No, but you can buy the necessary points at $25/1k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.