Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Saving seats is becoming an epidemic! EarlyBird check in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saving seats is becoming an epidemic! EarlyBird check in.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:41 pm

I saw my first "seat saver" on an LAS - SFO flight this weekend. Some guy, obvious A list (busisness traveler, frequent flier), in the aisle, row 5 or so. My girlfriend and I asked if we could sit there and he stated that he was saving the middle seat. I ignored it, and went back to row 9 or so. In the middle of the C's, his wife and infant board, and sit with him. So I thought of this thread.

Here are my issues:

1) you are right, saving seats sucks. It was a full flight, and our goal was to sit together at the front of the plane so we could get off as soon as we got to SFO.

2) I wasn't going to argue, or pick a fight with the guy, the main reason was to because my only goal was to get to SFO ASAP, and picking a fight would have delayed the process.

3) what kind of [...] leaves his wife and infant at the gate, while he boards A list and saves a seat. I had A49 and my girl had A56, we tried to board together at about A53 and the gate Nazi (this is a good thing) made her wait for untill A55 had boarded. I waited just inside the jetway for her, not getting on the plane and saving a seat.

I dunno, no solutions here, just that I noticed it, and it annoyed me.

Last edited by curbcrusher; Feb 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by USAF1
You're not serious? You're surprised that most guys would enjoy having a female (caucasion or not) sitting next to them vs. a guy?? In fact, I believe most females would rather as well, especially if she was thin and didn't intrude on any personal space on the adjacent seat. That does not come close to being a racist. Sexist perhaps. But you should not be so quick to play the reckless racist card.
But the OP has a point. I have seen it more frequently as well. But not to the point that I would ever get into a confrontation or threaten a lawsuit over someone over it.
racist.. sexist.. same smell. basically a lowlife jerk.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
In this thread, the issue has been drawn pretty closely around saving seats for family and friends. But izzik and USAF1 are debating the question of whether someone has the right to save a seat until s/he sees someone come along that s/he'd prefer to sit beside. That is, to deny people on that basis. ...The same right someone claims to save seats for family and friends.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
At 33 comments, many pretty strong, it looks like Don'tCallMeShirley sure called it. Then again, one can observe that things nearly always work out in real life. But, then again, when I said above that it's huge that she would post this, it was because she sees a sample, while most of the comments from Customers here reflect a sample of one.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Maybe, but ever so slightly.

I believe a good way to solve this problem is that if you purchase early bird, then everyone on your reservation must also purchase it. If they don't the purchase wont go through. Of course, some could be savig for people not on their reservation

Originally Posted by Beckles
Every flight? Shirley you're exaggerating ...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Firewind
At 33 comments, many pretty strong, it looks like Don'tCallMeShirley sure called it. Then again, one can observe that things nearly always work out in real life. But, then again, when I said above that it's huge that she would post this, it was because she sees a sample, while most of the comments from Customers here reflect a sample of one.
Originally Posted by Firewind
First, having Don'tCallMeShirley start this thread is huge. Thank you. I hope there's a vehicle for this to be communicated to Southwest's culture thingy.
Not sure why this is huge -- there are two senses in which this post could be huge, and I don't think either applies:

(a.) "This is a huge problem." I disagree, because I don't think most people care. I don't see how it's that big a deal. Literally > 90% of my WN trips (I take 40+ RT per year on WN), I'm alone. But I want to save a seat for my companions on the other < 10%.

I'm willing to be consistent: I'm A-List so I'm always first in my group to board. I save one or two seats as long as it's not row 1 or 11. No one has ever as much as given me a dirty look for this, let alone tell me "I'm sitting here anyway", or try to physically climb over me, or call a FA.

Likewise, if someone else happens to be saving a seat on any flight I don't make a ruckus, even if it is row 1 or 11. I feel some of the sentiment on this board is from another planet than the rest of WN passengers live in.

(b.) "The OP will be the impetus for WN to change its policies"... with all due respect, this is something like the 17th thread about people saving seats, and it's usually the same half dozen people agreeing with the OP. Is the thread huge because DontCallMeShirley is the CEO of Southwest or something? (No offense meant to the OP, really and truly, I promise).
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Please reread my OP. I specifically spoke about the EXIT ROW SEATS.

And, this has become a huge problem that I witness on a day to day basis. Trust me, I would hope that people have the decency to be honest and not do something so sneaky as this, but we live in a ME ME ME world, and I am never shocked to see people pull strategy such as this anymore. I just feel terrible for the people that followed proper procedure and then get screwed by the folks that don't give a darn about anyone besides themselves.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Epidemic? Talk about hyperbole.

The funny part is that I can't imagine this is a problem for most of the people on this board. Either you are at the head of the line, and get the coveted exit row (assuming a through passenger hasn't snagged it) or you are slightly behind and can get your seat of choice near the front. I'm not any kind of elite and never had a problem getting an aisle seat and saving the rest of the row. It is just not an issue unless you are back in the B or C list. I suppose theoretically somebody could try to save a bunch of aisle seats around him, but I've just never seen it - rather it is someone sitting in the aisle saving the rest of his row.

So I think somebody is making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Again, it sounds as if no one gave you much trouble as you were not taking the ER seats. I have been witnessing one person sitting down in the ER, then throwing their bags on other EXIT seats. I am not referring to other seats, as I don't keep an eye on those, although I think it's pretty low to save those as well.

Originally Posted by judolphin
Not sure why this is huge -- there are two senses in which this post could be huge, and I don't think either applies:

(a.) "This is a huge problem." I disagree, because I don't think most people care. I don't see how it's that big a deal. Literally > 90% of my WN trips (I take 40+ RT per year on WN), I'm alone. But I want to save a seat for my companions on the other < 10%.

I'm willing to be consistent: I'm A-List so I'm always first in my group to board. I save one or two seats as long as it's not row 1 or 11. No one has ever as much as given me a dirty look for this, let alone tell me "I'm sitting here anyway", or try to physically climb over me, or call a FA.

Likewise, if someone else happens to be saving a seat on any flight I don't make a ruckus, even if it is row 1 or 11. I feel some of the sentiment on this board is from another planet than the rest of WN passengers live in.

(b.) "The OP will be the impetus for WN to change its policies"... with all due respect, this is something like the 17th thread about people saving seats, and it's usually the same half dozen people agreeing with the OP. Is the thread huge because DontCallMeShirley is the CEO of Southwest or something? (No offense meant to the OP, really and truly, I promise).
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I saw my first "seat saver" on an LAS - SFO flight this weekend. Some guy, obvious A list (busisness traveler, frequent flier), in the aisle, row 5 or so. My girlfriend and I asked if we could sit there and he stated that he was saving the middle seat. I ignored it, and went back to row 9 or so. In the middle of the C's, his wife and infant board, and sit with him. So I thought of this thread.
Wow- row 5 instead of row 11. That's going to cost you what, all of 2 minutes in Vegas. I'd make a federal case out of it.

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
Please reread my OP. I specifically spoke about the EXIT ROW SEATS.

And, this has become a huge problem that I witness on a day to day basis. Trust me, I would hope that people have the decency to be honest and not do something so sneaky as this, but we live in a ME ME ME world, and I am never shocked to see people pull strategy such as this anymore. I just feel terrible for the people that followed proper procedure and then get screwed by the folks that don't give a darn about anyone besides themselves.
The problem is that you mistitled your post so most everyone interpreted it post to refer to the entire aircraft (though in practice it's more likely the front section and exit rows).

As someone noted, FAs are supposed to monitor the exit rows and prevent people from saving seats in those rows. Also, you won't see families with children saving seats there due to age requirements.

Your real issue is that you are upset when you don't get one of the very few exit row seats. I bet that's a big club here at FT. If it is that important to you then you are flying the wrong airline - many others will permit elite passengers (and sometimes even non-elites) to reserve those seats.

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 24, 2010 at 12:44 pm
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by pinworm
As WN states no formal policy on seat saving, no rules are violated by taking a seat someone "claims" to be saved.
WN does have a policy, and that policy is that seats cannot be saved
If you want to sit together, pay for early boarding or wait and board with your group
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:58 pm

Seat Saving

I am flying Southwest this weekend with my husband & 3 kids. Was thinking of signing my husband up for the Earlybird so he can get on & save us seats together. After reading these post & how rude people are I have just decided we will all board together. If we can't get seats together I will simply strap my 2 year old in between two of the $10 earlybird people & hope they enjoy the flight! What else can I do. I would rather have the extra $100 it would cost for all 5 of us to do the earlybird to spend on our vacation.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
judolphin and others: You are unwilling to buy EBCI, but think it is ok buy one and save a seat for someone who does not and is far back in the line? Don't you think someone who pays to board early should have choice of unfilled seats? Is that not the benefit associated with EBCI?

On the other hand -- why not just have anyone you want to sit with claim a handicap and pre-board and he will be there before you get on?

For that matter- why buy EBCI when you can get on early with a disability sleeve and get your choice seat (except Exit, which is unlikely you get anyway).

If it's a ME, ME world - guess that is what I will do. Actually I have never done that -- but if I have a B50 BP someday on a 4 hr flight, I may resort to it. I do see many who can walk all over the terminal, but need extra time to get on, so unsure why they need the extra time.

WN is in a no win situation here -- similar to COS policy. If they enforce, they are the bad guys, if they don't they do not follow their own rules.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AlyJa
I am flying Southwest this weekend with my husband & 3 kids. Was thinking of signing my husband up for the Earlybird so he can get on & save us seats together. After reading these post & how rude people are I have just decided we will all board together. If we can't get seats together I will simply strap my 2 year old in between two of the $10 earlybird people & hope they enjoy the flight! What else can I do. I would rather have the extra $100 it would cost for all 5 of us to do the earlybird to spend on our vacation.
Welcome to Flyertalk. You picked a very contentious thread to begin your experience.

You are doing the right thing boarding together.Saving seats can cause all kinds of grief,as you can see here.

Check in early and hopefully get A boarding passes. If not,then you will board in front of the Bs and will still be able to get seats together.They may not be all in the same row,but should be close enough to keep an adult with each child.Realistically,once most passengers see kids,they will not want to sit near you. Personally, I prefer sitting near families over many adults these days.

Enjoy your trip and don't let seating worries ruin it.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:45 pm

The official FAQ on EBCI has the Q&A:

If a Customer is booked in the same reservation with other Passengers, can he/she purchase EarlyBird Check-in even if the others do not choose to do so?
Yes. EarlyBird Check-in options are available for purchase on an individual Passenger basis.

Do they think that people booked in the same reservation won't expect to sit together? I'd say that's a place to clarify rules on seat saving, whether it's "Don't count on your companion being able to sit with you" or "You may save a seat, but not in the exit row."
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AlyJa
Because you have a 2 year old, you can utilize mid-boarding, right after A60. That's almost as good as EB, and it's free. You will definitely get seats together that way, just not in the front of the aircraft.

Welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.