FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Saving seats is becoming an epidemic! EarlyBird check in.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:58 am
judolphin

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Firewind
At 33 comments, many pretty strong, it looks like Don'tCallMeShirley sure called it. Then again, one can observe that things nearly always work out in real life. But, then again, when I said above that it's huge that she would post this, it was because she sees a sample, while most of the comments from Customers here reflect a sample of one.
Originally Posted by Firewind
First, having Don'tCallMeShirley start this thread is huge. Thank you. I hope there's a vehicle for this to be communicated to Southwest's culture thingy.
Not sure why this is huge -- there are two senses in which this post could be huge, and I don't think either applies:

(a.) "This is a huge problem." I disagree, because I don't think most people care. I don't see how it's that big a deal. Literally > 90% of my WN trips (I take 40+ RT per year on WN), I'm alone. But I want to save a seat for my companions on the other < 10%.

I'm willing to be consistent: I'm A-List so I'm always first in my group to board. I save one or two seats as long as it's not row 1 or 11. No one has ever as much as given me a dirty look for this, let alone tell me "I'm sitting here anyway", or try to physically climb over me, or call a FA.

Likewise, if someone else happens to be saving a seat on any flight I don't make a ruckus, even if it is row 1 or 11. I feel some of the sentiment on this board is from another planet than the rest of WN passengers live in.

(b.) "The OP will be the impetus for WN to change its policies"... with all due respect, this is something like the 17th thread about people saving seats, and it's usually the same half dozen people agreeing with the OP. Is the thread huge because DontCallMeShirley is the CEO of Southwest or something? (No offense meant to the OP, really and truly, I promise).