Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Saving seats is becoming an epidemic! EarlyBird check in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saving seats is becoming an epidemic! EarlyBird check in.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:07 pm

New to the Earlybird Checkin and was wondering if it would make sense.
We are a family of four 2, adults and two children,one older one younger.Buffalo to tampa flying out in afternoon..no idea how crowded the flight can get.... Instead of all four paying for $10 each, what is wife and older daughter pay for the EBCI and they each sit @ a window and save the middle seats next to them for me and my younger daughter. Does it make sense to do that? Or should all four pay? or none of us pay and we just wing it??? Again.. new this.. Our goal is to sit close to each other with kids in window seats and wife and I next to them.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wad2k
We are a family of four 2, adults and two children,one older one younger.Buffalo to tampa flying out in afternoon..no idea how crowded the flight can get.... Instead of all four paying for $10 each, what is wife and older daughter pay for the EBCI and they each sit @ a window and save the middle seats next to them for me and my younger daughter. Does it make sense to do that? Or should all four pay? or none of us pay and we just wing it??? Again.. new this.. Our goal is to sit close to each other with kids in window seats and wife and I next to them.
Buy EBCI for all 4 family members or none of them. This entire thread on Flyetalk is written because of people who buy it for only a portion of their group and devalue the boarding privileges given to PAYING ebci customers or those who camp out at the T-24 mark.

Here's a ? for FTers: Does Southwest.com allow only one person on a multi-pax reservation buy EBCI? Either at the time of booking , or via later upgrade? If so they are a direct cause of this fiasco.

In a perfect world, Southwest should also print the following on EBCI (or all) boarding passes ("Early Bird Checkin Fee Paid-Allows the named passenger ONLY to board early, seat saving is not permitted)
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:05 pm

Yes, from the site's EBCI FAQ:

If a Customer is booked in the same reservation with other Passengers, can he/she purchase EarlyBird Check-In even if the others do not choose to do so? Yes, if EarlyBird Check-In is purchased and added to an existing itinerary. If EarlyBird Check-In is purchased within the same transaction as the air purchase, then all eligible Customers must purchase EarlyBird Check-In as well.
And it begs the question about seat saving.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:25 am

We are a family of four, 2 adults and two children, one older one younger..
Is this true of all families with two children? (Unless they're siamese...)
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
After reading through this thread, I decided to post what I do. I am A+ with CP. When traveling with my family of 5, I usually board after A30 together and head to the back of the plane to sit together. I just think it is considerate to be out of the way while the kids and wife get settled. If the GA wont let us all board then, I will take the infant-in-arms and go the 3rd to last row and save the seats. Ive never had anyone ask to sit near me, especially with my baby climbing all over the seats.
My experience has been that if you are pleasant, most people are pleasant back.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Is this true of all families with two children? (Unless they're siamese...)
Well I hear their may be a few single parent families out there with one adult and 3 children.... it's a strange new thing that's been popping up lately
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Bigez747
That is such an important thing to remember. I read about some disagreements on here that would've just evaporated if everyone had kept a smile on their face.

When you find someone on a WN flight who is a real jerk, do not stoop to their level. It will serve you well.

Besides, if the FA gets involved, you sure want look like the nicer person.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bigez747
After reading through this thread, I decided to post what I do. I am A+ with CP. When traveling with my family of 5, I usually board after A30 together and head to the back of the plane to sit together. I just think it is considerate to be out of the way while the kids and wife get settled. If the GA wont let us all board then, I will take the infant-in-arms and go the 3rd to last row and save the seats. Ive never had anyone ask to sit near me, especially with my baby climbing all over the seats.
I flew with the family LAX to FLL last month. I'm A+ and I got A16 and they purchased EB and ended up A35+. I did the exact same thing and stood with them and found an empty row 1/2 way back.

Just the right thing to do.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jn in ca
That is such an important thing to remember. I read about some disagreements on here that would've just evaporated if everyone had kept a smile on their face.

When you find someone on a WN flight who is a real jerk, do not stoop to their level. It will serve you well.

Besides, if the FA gets involved, you sure want look like the nicer person.
I'm sort of a big grump, but sit with me and get a guaranteed open middle. You can decide which is more valuable.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: Co-branded credit card status moocher
Originally Posted by expert7700
("Early Bird Checkin Fee Paid-Allows the named passenger ONLY to board early, seat saving is not permitted)
I'm sure Southwest wants to adopt official corporate language that sounds like something scrawled on the wall of a third-grader's treehouse.

No seat-saving and infinity no tag-backs!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
There is quite the trend going on and I do believe it has A LOT to do with early bird check in.

Now, I love the idea of EB, and I have used it myself, however, it is now being used by one person in a party and then saving all the exit row seats by placing bags in them so that the rest of the party does not have to pay the @10 EB fee.. These people are VERY aggressive and I have just never witnessed this behavior in the past. EVER. It seems to be happening on every flight, where it never did in the past.

This is soon going to lead to some conflict. I have been witness to some very tense situations recently. I do think it might be time to enforce a no saving seat policy before this gets out of hand.

(sorry about the horribly misspelled subject)
I have no problem being 'that guy' and just sit where I please. I patiently stare back and in a low voice; explain that "assigned seats are on the airline next door..."
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by volvo99
I have no problem being 'that guy' and just sit where I please. I patiently stare back and in a low voice; explain that "assigned seats are on the airline next door..."
Why don't GAs simply add "and no seat-saving" to standard boarding announcements to make the offenders feel less entitled?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
So a good non-seat saving story... but related.

Recently flew with my 21 y/o daughter to Tucson (Note she has done virtually no flying since she was 14). I'm A-List and I bought her EBCI. On return from Tucson to MDW I sat in the exit row but on side where only window seat has extra leg room. She sat in the aisle. Told her if someone wanted middle she had to decide if she wanted someone between us or the middle it was her call... So as we're filling she says "I feel bad should I move I think the flights full dad?" I said no I don't think it is so unless you really want the middle seat you don't need to and it may not get taken (since it's the side with no extra leg room for middle or aisle). Their are no announcements that flight is full and last 2 people are walkin the aisle and she's got this guilty nervous looking face like she's doing something wrong... Both of the last 2 are scanning to pick a seat with probably 15 middle seats avail. The last guy stops to look around near her and in a moment of some weird not understanding the concept stands up and says "Oh I'm sorry I'll move" and jumps into the middle seat. I just laughed and he said "wow I sure didn't expect an aisle seat being the last to board - thanks!"

LOL I asked her later if she would've rather someone sat between us then sit in middle and she said "yeah but I felt bad like we were trying to save it so I didn't want to be a jerk" and didn't really get the whole concept.

Imagine if everyone on WN were so caring about their fellow flyers..

Well at least I instilled manners (maybe to a fault) in my daughter.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Why don't GAs simply add "and no seat-saving" to standard boarding announcements to make the offenders feel less entitled?
And add that to the FA's boarding announcement as well. Wondering if this was always a WN issue, or is it just a symptom of cheapskates trying to wring more "value" out of a rock bottom fare?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
When faced with this situation (though we have 2 younger one) I always buy 1 EBCI. The first adult will take a child (if permitted) and then save a row plus 1 aisle. Nobody has ever hassled me, people are usually not to keen to sit next to a 2 or 5-year old though they take up less space than a lot of WN's clientele. Keep in mind that the remaining family members can board after A-60, at which point the plane is rarely full. Selecting seats past the exit row will usually avoid any hassle as most window/aisle people take the first open row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.