Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Myrtle Beach question- Quiet Beach Trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot

My birthday is coming up (mid-June) and my husband and I are looking for a relaxing way to celebrate for a few days. We'd really like a quiet beach vacation, and had chosen the Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes. It looks like a lovely hotel and we were able to get an oceanfront room at a reasonable AAA rate. However...I started reading about Myrtle Beach and realized that I might be going to a very touristy, child-oriented location. Am I going to be disappointed with this trip? Is this going to be noisy and filled with kids?

I really want a nice, relaxing trip, and since we're only going for 4 days/3 nights, wanted something that didn't take long to get to.

We had considered Puerto Rico, but my understanding is that they require a passport to get there now, and we don't have ours YET.

Help? Advice?

Thanks,
GG
Old Jun 5, 2005, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Personally, for what you describe I would think Hilton Head would be a better choice. Because it tends in general to be more upscale, it is also somewhat quieter and and less hectic.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Personally, for what you describe I would think Hilton Head would be a better choice. Because it tends in general to be more upscale, it is also somewhat quieter and and less hectic.
Heck. I know. I love Hilton Head. I was really hoping to go somewhere new this time, so decided to avoid Hilton Head and Clearwater, both of which suit my needs just fine. I just hate to recycle vacations- I want to see someplace new this time, you know?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
If you are a US citizen, you do not need a passport to visit Puerto Rico. If you are not a US citizen, I've always assumed that the same rules applied as if you were visiting any other part of the US. Am I wrong?

Myrtle Beach can be crowded. There are thousands of hotel rooms there and it is a major summer vacation destination. I've gone in September when it's much quieter and enjoyed it. I like it less in July/August but the beach there is wonderful no matter how many others I have to share it with.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:32 pm

The Myrtle Beach Marriott is north of the most crowded part of Myrtle Beach. There are not a bunch of high risers around it. Mainly just it Timeshare counterpart. I was just there in May 15. The water went from 70 to 74 during the week. During high tide there is not a lot of beach left. When we walked around the beach it was never that crowded, but it was Harley week, and we never did see many bikers on the beach.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:54 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Next time, try Bald Head Island, NC
In between Wilmingtom(ILM) and Myrtle Beach(MYR) at the mouth of the Cape Fear river
Ferry takes you to a private island
Make sure to see old baldy

Pawley's Island SC ain't to shabby either.

For a good afternoon trip\dinner jaunt from where you will be, head up to Calabash NC(20 min North)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.