Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:40 am

Henry's Smokehouse in Simpsonville, SC
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:59 am

Bump.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Some of my favorites:

Ridgewood - Bluff City, TN. Outstanding pork. A little hard to find but worth the journey
Rudy's - Leon Springs, TX (NW Of San Antonio) - The original location and downright amazing.
Burnco - Tulsa, OK - Newish place but may be moved to the top here IMO.
Elmer's - Tulsa, OK - Many argue it's the best here.
McClards - Hot Springs, AR
Troy's - St George UT - The chef makes Texas style Q that is delicious.
Kinfolks - Fort Walton Beach FL - You can smell it from a half mile away.
Jack Stack - Martin City, MO. Their beans are heavenly

An Oklahoma Joe's is moving to town soon. I'll give that a go.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
My three favorites, all in Texas (never liked much vinegar in my BBQ sauce):

1. Another vote for Salt Lick (Austin area)
2. North Main BBQ (Euless) $10 All you can eat weekends only, BYOB. Just SW of DFW airport.
3. Hard Eight (Coppell). Just NNE of DFW airport.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by texmanufan
My three favorites, all in Texas (never liked much vinegar in my BBQ sauce):

1. Another vote for Salt Lick (Austin area)
2. North Main BBQ (Euless) $10 All you can eat weekends only, BYOB. Just SW of DFW airport.
3. Hard Eight (Coppell). Just NNE of DFW airport.
North Main is up to $15 now. Still worth it, as long as you go hungry.

I wonder if we need a separate thread, now that the Talkboard has decided that Texas isn't part of the South...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:32 pm

Clyde Cooper's in Raleigh, NC. I just love the vinegar based sauce. I even brought me home a few bottles and a piggy t-shirt.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hog Heaven - Durham, NC:

As my boss who hails from the country said of our lunch yesterday "this is a good old fashioned Red Neck meal!". The restaurant is nothing to look at (wooden benches and tables, order at a counter, in a bad strip mall etc.) but the food is excellent. The menu is limited but the chopped pork was perfect and they had a ton of sides including a really good slaw and potato salad. Plus the prices are decent. For two sandwiches, a large meat plate and three sides we spent $18.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:42 pm

We have a place here in Meridian, MS called Squealers. Locally owned and some of the best barbecue I have ever had.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:52 pm

I have a soft spot for The Pig in Chapel Hill, as they have very good (Not quite great, but close...) real BBQ (NC style, that is), as well as having a vegan menu for folks like me who have spouses who, for some unfathomable reason, eschew meat.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Bar B Que House - Oak Island, NC

They actually have a few locations but this is the one I've been to. Big portions (the half rack is REALLY generous), great sides and sauces and decent prices. Restaurant isn't much to look at (but what BBQ place is?) and for take out it's perfect.

http://www.bestbbqonthebeach.com/
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: No preference
America's Best BBQ Cities

1. Memphis, TN
2. Lockhart, TX
3. Kansas City, MO
4. Lexington, NC
5. Austin, TX
6. Nashville, TN
7. St Louis, MO

Virtually every place mentioned in this article has been mentioned in this thread. Having eat at both Jack's and Hog Heaven in Nashville, I can attest to their greatness ... although there are a couple of small local places I think are better.

I had Hog Heaven in Durham last year, but don't readily remember how good it was.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: No preference
I'd also like to add Blue Moon BBQ in Lebanon, TN. Their pork brisket is pretty rockin. And FYI, they currently have a restaurant.com certificate.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold , Priority Club , AAdvantage , Delta SkyMiles
Corkys , so so , interstate BBQ Memphis the best I've had , there's a place in lexington TN (the name escapes me) outside of Jackson that the locals talk about as being the best in west Tennessee.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've had Eastern Carolina style BBQ (whole hog) in NC a few times, but finally yesterday got to try some local Western Carolina style (shoulder) at Lexington BBQ.

Fortunately, as I was researching which place to visit, I also found some guidance about what to order. Specifically, the "outside brown", which is the end cut of the piece of meat. Usually not listed specifically on the menu, from what I read. Fattier, smokier, and more flavorful than the inside pieces. One comparison opined that "Outside brown from a pork shoulder is the fatty brisket of North Carolina." As a Texas-BBQ fan, I knew this is what I needed to get.

Here's my Sliced Outside Brown (tray with cole slaw):

And my girlfriend's Coarse Chopped regular (plate with slaw & fries, and out hush puppies):

Hers was fine, but nothing I'd travel out of my way for. But mine was great. I'm still a Texas guy, but if I find myself in an authentic Western Carolina BBQ spot, the outside brown is what I'll be asking for.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CalVol
Henry's Smokehouse in Simpsonville, SC
Sorry, coming back to this thread after quite a number of years to comment on the last page, some of which is 3-4 years old.

Man, have times changed. I lived in Simpsonville in 1983-1984. There was jack diddly for places to eat. There was an ice cream place around the corner from my neighborhood and a pizza place that was the second worst I've ever tasted. There may have been a "Clock" drive-in where you could order a BBQ sandwich. Or that may have been up the road in Mauldin.

Originally Posted by LocoLobo
We have a place here in Meridian, MS called Squealers. Locally owned and some of the best barbecue I have ever had.
Again, I was last in Meridian in 1979. No one to me out for barbeque. I do remember one of the best bowls of gumbo I've ever ordered by have no clue where I was.

Originally Posted by swag
I've had Eastern Carolina style BBQ (whole hog) in NC a few times, but finally yesterday got to try some local Western Carolina style (shoulder) at Lexington BBQ.

Fortunately, as I was researching which place to visit, I also found some guidance about what to order. Specifically, the "outside brown", which is the end cut of the piece of meat. Usually not listed specifically on the menu, from what I read. Fattier, smokier, and more flavorful than the inside pieces. One comparison opined that "Outside brown from a pork shoulder is the fatty brisket of North Carolina." As a Texas-BBQ fan, I knew this is what I needed to get.

Here's my Sliced Outside Brown (tray with cole slaw):

And my girlfriend's Coarse Chopped regular (plate with slaw & fries, and out hush puppies):

Hers was fine, but nothing I'd travel out of my way for. But mine was great. I'm still a Texas guy, but if I find myself in an authentic Western Carolina BBQ spot, the outside brown is what I'll be asking for.
That outside brown is a fine looking plate. The slaw doesn't look like my type, was it vinegary? Where is the sauce for your gf's chopped (I would prefer it pulled). See, this is why NC always falls to third on my barbeque rating by state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.