Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:54 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
I second Short Sugar's in Reidsville, NC

I saw a mention of Short Sugar's in a previous reply and had to represent my hometown. Living in Wisconsin now, there is nothing even remotely close to NC barbecue here. The sauce is very unique and good.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:57 am
DAL

Originally Posted by RocketHokie
If you're familiar with HSV, which is your preference. BBQ from the Greenbriar BBQ or Greenbriar Restaurant? What do you think of Dreamlands?
I don't know if you've been to HSV yet or if you'll be comin' back, but for someone who grew up in this area I would say definately not greenbriar. I would say for a good variety (pulled pork, chix, turkey, ribs) drive past greenbriar and go on to Gibson's in Decatur - there's a reason they win Memphis and are on national tv. Oh yea, since you'll be so full get some pie to go.

If you have to stay in Huntsville, you can do dreamland if you just want to say to your friends when your watching Alabama football and the ESPN/ABC/CBS announcers talk about the original Dreamland, "I've had Dreamland", but just know that HSV is NOT T'town Dreamland - pretty dang close.

DH says Ole Hickory on Maysville Rd (NE of town) is the best in HSV - look on ChefMoz.org and click on the town of New Market for reviews/info.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:17 am

Elmer's "it be bad" - Tulsa, Oklahoma
Dink's Pit - Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Clark's Outpost Bar-B-Q - Tioga, Texas
Sonny Bryans - Dallas, Texas
Corky's - Memphis, TN
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Any Cousin's BBQ in north Texas!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Any Cousin's BBQ in north Texas!
OP, if you're ever in the DFW area on a Friday or Saturday, let me know and I will take you to Main Street BBQ in Euless. That is the best BBQ I've had outside of Tennessee.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by hhoope01
OP, if you're ever in the DFW area on a Friday or Saturday, let me know and I will take you to Main Street BBQ in Euless. That is the best BBQ I've had outside of Tennessee.
HH and op, I'd love to be to be there too.

Sweet Willie, have you found any good places between RDU, along I40 and W. of CLT? Tried Hickory-style in Hickory, NC?

The nectar of a fine NC BBQ hog lives with me for a lifetime, though I'd gladly divert into DFW to chow with a bunch of fine FTers. ^

[Y'all are welcome to join me in an Aussie BBQ (juicy, thick, grass-fed, dry-aged Angus scotch fillets!). I'll even bring 'slaw! ]
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, United EXP, USAir Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Have a twofer to keep Momma happy. A place called Carolina BBQ right off exit 97, I-95 Selma, NC exit. I go for bbq and Momma goes to JR's outlet for shopping.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:25 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by biggs
Gary's-China Grove
While this thread may be old as dirt, as a former North Carolinian/resident of China Grove (of the like 100 people that live there ), I have to say that Gary's BBQ is NOT great bbq, even if most around that town would consider that heresy. It's not even cooked on wood, a big no-no in my opinion.

Now Whispering Pines BBQ in Albemarle, NC is a great place to eat ^

Lexington BBQ gets the nod from me as well, though the last time I was there the portion sizes had been drastically reduced for the price.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Some of my favorites here in NC:

- Bullocks BBQ - Durham, NC. Carolina style vinegar based BBQ. Great Brunswick Stew, pulled pork and peach cobbler. They take cash only.
http://www.bullocksbbq.com/

- Q Shack - Durham, NC. Kansas City style BBQ. Great sausage, pulled pork, hush puppies and fries. Plus they take cards and they do take out. Very popular on Fridays though.
http://www.theqshack.com/

- Parkers BBQ - Wilson, NC. Carolina style vinegar based BBQ. Tiny menu in an old building that is also cash only. All the employees wear old style paper hats too. Really good Brunswick Stew and pulled pork and a fun atmosphere.
http://www.parkersbbq.com/

Last edited by CMK10; Apr 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
And another I like a lot, just not in NC:

- Colter's Bar B Q - Arlington, TX: Right down the street from the Ballpark at Arlington. Nice atmosphere, good food and service and it certainly beats paying for overpriced food at the game.
http://www.coltersbbq.com/
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
Some of my favorites here in NC:

- Bullocks BBQ - Durham, NC. Carolina style vinegar based BBQ. Great Brunswick Stew, pulled pork and peach cobbler. They take cash only.
http://www.bullocksbbq.com/

- Q Shack - Durham, NC. Kansas City style BBQ. Great sausage, pulled pork, hush puppies and fries. Plus they take cards and they do take out. Very popular on Fridays though.
http://www.theqshack.com/

- Parkers BBQ - Wilson, NC. Carolina style vinegar based BBQ. Tiny menu in an old building that is also cash only. All the employees wear old style paper hats too. Really good Brunswick Stew and pulled pork and a fun atmosphere.
http://www.parkersbbq.com/
Parker's is great - they are also in Greenville, NC

While in Greenville, check out B's BBQ - a total hole in the wall, but awesome!

Here is link: http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pa...bbq_large.html

Pete Jones BBQ in Ayden is great
Old May 8, 2011, 4:12 pm

The Pig in Chapel Hill, NC -- Damn good BBQ, locally grown, anti-biotic free pigs, fantastic sides, and an Eastern NC sauce with some real kick.

Southern Soul Barbecue in St. Simons, GA -- Really, really pulled pork, smoked out front. Brisket was severely overcooked, but the sauces were solid and the sides worked. Much, much better than expected.

The Pit in Raleigh, NC -- Ed Mitchell knows what to do with any protein, and the pulled pork and the brisket rock. Fantastic chicken wings as well. Very interesting local beer list to boot.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:11 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I saw it mentioned earlier on in this thread I think, but I will second Stamey's BBQ in Greensboro, NC.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Didn't see it, but Ridgewood in Bluff City, TN.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Checkered Pig - Danville, VA
Pigs R Us - Martinsville, VA

Sister restaurants with NC style BBQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.