Search

Miami transfer Wednesday Evening

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
Miami transfer Wednesday Evening

Advice sought.

We are scheduled to arrive in MIA from Costa Rica at 17:45 on AA1600.

We depart on the 21:30 BA back to LHR. Mrs Exit & I are CW on a 241 voucher.

HBO and will be checked in for the BA flight when we arrive. With nearly four hours to connect (on non connecting tickets) what’s the likely options if we get stuck in the famously welcoming US immigration & security queues that make MAN seem well run.

Is travel insurance any good if we’ve allowed a reasonable connection time? Nearly four hours for a hbo connection doesn’t seem cutting it fine just to get through two dysfunctional queues? Views & advice welcomed.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I doubt insurance would cover... and what if storms / weather impact the inbound to be cancelled or badly delayed - your Long Haul would be down the pan. I wouldn't risk it on separate tickets. Recent unlucky similar experience here:

Missing my flight from Sydney in 4 hrs - help! - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can't comment on the travel insurance position. Your connection is reasonable, but it's not really 4 hours... - it's 3.45 "flight to flight". Let's assume your inbound is on time. Your BA flight will still CLOSE 3.25 (maximum) after the scheduled arrival of your inbound.

Your BA flight is on an A380 which will depart from some slightly distanced gates in Terminal E at MIA (I think) - that takes 10 minutes to get to from the "main" Terminal E area from what I recall. So you're down to 3.15.

Security - it depends - could take 10 minutes, could take 30-40 at peak times without TSA Pre or fact track - let's say 40, you're down to 2.35. Knock off 35 minutes for de-planing your inbound and general walking around terminals. That leaves a "clear" 2 hours for immigration. I think that's actually respectable for MIA, so you should be OK unless you get unlucky.

If your inbound is any more than one hour late, you start getting a bit tight, I think.

I'm sure it will all go fine, just breaking down how your "4 hours" actually gets stolen along the way....
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
From what I can make out, you have plenty of time here, so long as your CR flight departs on time or isn't more than about 2 hours late arriving. I would assume an hour, maximum, for CBP immigration and usually less than that for TSA security inbound. It's not really a connecting ticket, and I'm sure you are aware of the risks if you don't make it on time. If you aren't one for risks then you would need to plan a night in MIA, or work out a way to get the trip on to a single PNR. I would be prepared to take this risk, but we are all different in respect of risk management.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
If your plane is up to 2hiurs late you should be fine.

what is your back up if the Costa Rica flight is cancelled. What’s your alternative way to get to Miami for the check in closure of your flight?

It’s not connecting ticket so not sure what insurance if any would cover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.