Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Sky Train

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:34 am
Original Poster

ATL Sky Train

We are checking in for a AA flight that leaves the domestic ATL terminal at 5.36am. We have an overnight layover and so are staying at a hotel next to the GICC skytrain stop. We were anticipating getting to the airport at about 4am, but that would mean getting the Skytrain at just before 4am. I know it runs 24h, but someone mentioned that it doesnt run 1am to 4am - is that right? Does anyone know how long we might have to wait at just before 4am?
Thank you
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:09 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Trains run 24h. Frequency decreases to every 10 min in the middle of the night.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:24 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Friendly suggestion - this question would be best asked in the existing thread you started regarding your trip Connection in ATL or in the South(ern US) Forum as you are travelling on American Airlines. Topics here are meant to be specific to travel on or with Delta Airlines.
hhdl and xjoedx like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Friendly suggestion - this question would be best asked in the existing thread you started regarding your trip Connection in ATL or in the South(ern US) Forum as you are travelling on American Airlines. Topics here are meant to be specific to travel on or with Delta Airlines.
ATL is DLs home airport. If there's a forum OP is likely to get an answer on, it's DL. I agree with the sentiment of your post. However the logic of posting here makes sense.
Scudsone, cullen24, pdxcph and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:28 am

I have not taken it that early, but I have definitely seen it running that early as I’ve been either at one of the airport hotels are traveling around the airport area. You should have no problem.

I also think that you made the wise choice posting it in where most of the people who are familiar with the Atlanta airport are
Scudsone likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I would aim to take an earlier skytrain. Arriving to the terminal an hour and a half before departure seems risky to me, especially if you're not very familiar with ATL airport. Security lines can be long, depending somewhat on the day of the week and time of year.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:34 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I would aim to take an earlier skytrain. Arriving to the terminal an hour and a half before departure seems risky to me, especially if you're not very familiar with ATL airport. Security lines can be long, depending somewhat on the day of the week and time of year.
There aren't really lines at 4 am, and AA uses T for flights to MIA. Maybe I'd leave at 3:45? But not a lot before that. Also, since they don't have precheck, the entrance for security is "right behind" the AA counter.
indufan and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:09 am

Since op isn’t familiar with t gates, they are right past security and don’t require you to go down and take the airport tram, one I my favorite reasons to take aa out of atl gates are very quick to get to once you go thru security. Security can be a mess early morning is usually a nightmare when the weather was bad the night before, as long as there weren’t a ton of cancellations the night before it won’t be too bad at that hour.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are no lines at 4 am.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Just a minor point of clarification (especially if looking for this transportation at 4AM and not operating at peak mental capacity/in a pre-caffeinated state): at ATL, it is called the Plane Train, not the Sky Train. (Other airports/cities, e.g. Vancouver, do have a Sky Train.)
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chipbennett
Just a minor point of clarification (especially if looking for this transportation at 4AM and not operating at peak mental capacity/in a pre-caffeinated state): at ATL, it is called the Plane Train, not the Sky Train. (Other airports/cities, e.g. Vancouver, do have a Sky Train.)
There's two different trains. The one being discussed is indeed the Sky Train. It is what one takes to get to Gateway hotels and car rental center.

The plane train is airside and takes you between concourses.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
No, OP is asking about the landside Sky Train connecting the domestic terminal to the airport reservation hotels and the consolidated rental car facility. The Sky Train station at the domestic terminal is just beyond (west of) the MARTA Airport station.
flyerCO, chipbennett and cre95 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
This was my first thought as well, because the plane train is a funny name - you know the person who came up with that was pretty pleased with themselves. But then I noticed they were talking about landside transportation which I've never taken at ATL.

For a while I thought it was the "plain train" which was even more humorous to me. I still chuckle a bit the first time I hear the announcement every time I'm there.
chipbennett likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's two different trains. The one being discussed is indeed the Sky Train. It is what one takes to get to Gateway hotels and car rental center.

The plane train is airside and takes you between concourses.
Originally Posted by dtwtransport
No, OP is asking about the landside Sky Train connecting the domestic terminal to the airport reservation hotels and the consolidated rental car facility. The Sky Train station at the domestic terminal is just beyond (west of) the MARTA Airport station.
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
This was my first thought as well, because the plane train is a funny name - you know the person who came up with that was pretty pleased with themselves. But then I noticed they were talking about landside transportation which I've never taken at ATL.

For a while I thought it was the "plain train" which was even more humorous to me. I still chuckle a bit the first time I hear the announcement every time I'm there.
Clearly, I should have caffeinated myself before reading/posting!
Kikoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.