Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Connection in ATL

We arrive at 9.30pm on BA from LHR. I hope to recheck our bags.
The following morning we fly out to MIA with AA (and then on to UVF - so domestic and then international).
Our flight is 05.36am the following morning. What time should we aim to get to the airport? Would this be earlier if we need to check bags?
We are not TSA approved sadly.
Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thomaswood1980
We arrive at 9.30pm on BA from LHR. I hope to recheck our bags.
The following morning we fly out to MIA with AA (and then on to UVF - so domestic and then international).
Our flight is 05.36am the following morning. What time should we aim to get to the airport? Would this be earlier if we need to check bags?
We are not TSA approved sadly.
Thanks
ATL, TSA is hit or miss as far as running smoothly or not, I'd get to the airport about 4am, not sure what time the ticket counter open.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Just realised - I assume we are entering through the domestic terminal at ATL as our AA flight is going to Miami, even though we are connecting in Miami to another AA international flight to UVF.
Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Yes, you will go to the domestic terminal for MIA.

Domestic security lines at ATL are surprisingly long that early. By the time you get to a hotel, you will get maybe four hours sleep.

I don't know if you can re-check bags that night, or have to drag them to whatever hotel you're at. I suggest one of the four Marriott properties at the GICC train stop. This is the fastest way to the airport.

If you do not have pre-check, the main checkpoint is open 24/7.

https://www.atl.com/passenger-inform...nger-security/
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This question is more relevant to ATL than it is to AA, and we don’t have a large number of ATL regulars here. I shall shift it to the South forum for input from those with more familiarity with this busy airport.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
You won’t be able to recheck your bags the night you arrive.

Also, you may want want to consider a taxi or Uber to your hotel on arrival. You’ll exit the F terminal and would need to take a bus to the domestic side, followed by the sky train. It’s do-able, but unnecessary tedious. Taking a car to your hotel will save 15-30 min.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks Emma. We were hoping to recheck them so that is disappointing - any reason why not?
And yes thank you were were going to taxi from the International Terminal to our hotel.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:01 am

They “shouldn’t” take them because it’s an overnight connection. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen… but the arrivals into ATL are complex (they separate connections from O&D traffic into different terminals) and I’d be shocked if they allowed rechecking overnight 9 hours before your flight.

To be honest, I also wouldn’t trust your bags to be untouched sitting around ATL overnight. I say this as someone who lives here, flies at least weekly… and typically am an ATL defender.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by emma dog
They “shouldn’t” take them because it’s an overnight connection. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen… but the arrivals into ATL are complex (they separate connections from O&D traffic into different terminals) and I’d be shocked if they allowed rechecking overnight 9 hours before your flight.

To be honest, I also wouldn’t trust your bags to be untouched sitting around ATL overnight. I say this as someone who lives here, flies at least weekly… and typically am an ATL defender.
Forgot to add that even IF you could re-check the night you arrive, the AA counters will very likely be closed by then.

I have only ever arrived at F on domestic flights, which gives you access to the train to the other end vs the shuttle bus. Since you must pass through US customs/immigration, you won't have access to the train once you exit landside. I don't know of any hotels close by the F terminal; I'd still shoot for the four Marriotts -- these are the first stop on the other train that serves the rental car facility -- as you'll have to go to the AA counter anyway to check your bags.

TBQH this is a terrible itinerary; you'll be far better off changing your BA flight to arrive in MIA in the first place.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by born sleepy
I don't know of any hotels close by the F terminal
The Renaissance located on the northern perimeter of the airport takes only a few minutes to get to. However, there is no shuttle to the international terminal; the best option is a taxi/uber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.