Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Old Nov 17, 19, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Flew out of the airport on 11/9 and arrived back yesterday 11/16. No issues at all. Parked at Park-n-fly as usual, took 10 minutes to get to the terminal on the shuttle. 5 minutes to check the bags with AA. 20 minutes to clear security (noticed that not all of the security equipment was installed yet). Explored the facility while waiting for boarding time (it is absolutely stunning to see in person). On arrival back home, our bags were on the belt almost immediately after we showed up. Also looked like all of the security screening equipment was finally in place when I glanced over. Easy to find the where the off-airport shuttles picked us up, and it was an 8 minute drive back to Park-n-fly. Definitely a facility we should all be very proud of.

Departures curb

Departures level.

View of security screening area.

Security line (20 minutes to clear)

Concourse B

CNBC store

View of Concourse A from Concourse B

Concourse B

American Airlines gate area

Looking at Concourse C from our plane.
pbiflyer likes this.

Last edited by ASDwxguy; Nov 17, 19 at 9:49 pm
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Another point comes to mind. On my first trip out of the new terminal, it seemed very crowded, Moreso than previous trips out of the old terminal. In the old terminal the concourses where pretty wide, whereas, in the new terminal, they might be just as wide, but restaurants and shops have been placed in the middle of the concourse. For me, this makes the concourses seem more crowded, if not a little claustrophobic.

With that said, I appreciate the effort to include more local businesses and the terminal is really quite attractive. I, also, like the amount of local-centric art on the walls.
Old Nov 18, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I flew out of the new MSY last Friday morning. We used the new long term parking garage. I was looking forward to seeing the new "smart parking" system in use, but I didn't see anything working. The overhead lights were doing some weird flashing routine, but it wasn't obvious if it was supposed to lead me to a spot as I didn't see anything free on the lower floors.

Once we parked, it was an elevator ride to the first floor then a short walk to the terminal.

TSA Pre was a five minute wait. Credit to the agents for trying to keep people moving. The terminal is beautiful as people have said. Glass windows everwhewe, but that can be a problem during the sunrise when you have to avoid looking directly into the sun while waiting for your flight.

I left out of C2 and noticed there didn't appear to be enough seats in the gate areas, and many people were standing around the area. I can't speak for A or B since I didn't wander to those areas.

I know there are still problems but I'm glad it is finally open. Looking forward to many more flights in the future.
Old Nov 19, 19, 4:07 pm

I flew out and back with no issues, but neither trip was during a busy time (left Thursday around 2 p.m., arrived Monday at 4:30 p.m.).

Had no problem with being dropped off by the Lyft driver; the road into the airport was clear. No lines at baggage check. PreCheck took all of 2 minutes. I had a freshly made Thai chicken salad at the City Greens kiosk for $9.25, which was a fair price and the quality was miles ahead of anything at the old MSY. There was a two-piece R&B ensemble playing in the B terminal, which was nice.

No problems returning or getting baggage. The Lyft line was about 25 people long, but moving. I noticed that a Lyft XL was only 25 cents more than the basic service, and it got me a specific driver instead of a lineup number. He was there in 2 minutes. Getting out of the airport at rush hour was poky and the biggest PITA of the trip, but not a trainwreck.

My best advice if you're picking up someone is to do it on the top level, which is supposed to be for dropoffs only, but seemed wide open. The lower level is crowded with taxis, ride-hailing vehicles and lots of cars trying to pick up family and friends.
Old Nov 19, 19, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Great info, Shombolar, thanks!
Old Dec 1, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic
Got back from my Thanksgiving trek down to MSY.

New terminal is great. Modern, airy, great food options. Security wasn't ideal and could use a lot more supervision.

The entry and exit is a goddamn disaster. I fear for anyone flying out anywhere near peak hours. We waited in about 20 minutes of traffic on an otherwise dull Friday afternoon to get past the left of the interstate exit. The next few years are going to be arduous as hell getting through there. Our flight was held for 20 minutes after every other passenger had boarded for 3 people to get through security.
Old Dec 1, 19, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
The entry and exit is a goddamn disaster. I fear for anyone flying out anywhere near peak hours. We waited in about 20 minutes of traffic on an otherwise dull Friday afternoon to get past the left of the interstate exit. The next few years are going to be arduous as hell getting through there. Our flight was held for 20 minutes after every other passenger had boarded for 3 people to get through security.
I had zero issue getting out of the airport on Thursday night, November 21, and then again on Saturday, November 23, around noon.
Old Dec 2, 19, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I had zero issue getting out of the airport on Thursday night, November 21, and then again on Saturday, November 23, around noon.
Well I wouldn't expect midday Saturday and Thanksgiving night to be too bad, congestion-wise.
Old Dec 2, 19, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
Well I wouldn't expect midday Saturday and Thanksgiving night to be too bad, congestion-wise.
It was the week before Thanksgiving.

Obviously there are going to be peak periods and off peak periods. And until the flyover is completed there likely will be some frustration during peak periods. “Goddamn disaster” might be a tad hyperbolic.
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:10 pm

Agreed, I'll swap to "very inconvenient".
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msytojfkagain View Post
agreed, i'll swap to "very inconvenient".
👍🏼
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:39 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
“Goddamn disaster” might be a tad hyperbolic.
Especially in a city where the memory of a true Goddamn disaster remains fresh in many memories.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:21 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
No issues flying out Thanksgiving morning at 7:13 AM or on the return at 12:40 AM on Monday. Arrived at Park-n-Fly at 5:15 AM. Shuttle dropped us off at 5:35 AM after picking up some other people. An approx. 10 minute wait to clear security with all of the lanes open. We had enough time before our flight on Thanksgiving Day to walk all three concourses. If you want to find a quiet spot, Concourse A is the place to go. Deplaned at 12:53 AM. After deplaning, we had an approx. 15 minute wait for the Park-n-Fly shuttle. The Park-n-Fly wait was likely due to our late arrival time when only a few flights were coming in. We were in our car and headed home at 1:27 AM.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GfL
Got a Lyft this morning to MSY. Exactly 30 minutes from my Uptown home to the drop-off. Got out of the car at 6:51, was through PreCheck at 6:55, at gate B12 at 6:59. Currently eating an entirely creditable egg and cheese sandwich with home fries at Bar Sazerac (no I am not drinking a Sazerac! it’s just a nice place to sit). Not a bad deal at all for $5.70 including tax.

If this is the kind of experience I can expect on a regular basis, I’ll be very happy! (Still wish there was an AA lounge though. ��)
Old Dec 4, 19, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Took an Uber this morning and got off at the Loyola exit. No traffic issues at 10:30 A.M. Checked a bag at the United counter - quick & easy. Started to go thru pre-check, but the Clear people got to me. They saw my boarding pass and said that my membership would be free (UA status) and it would only take 3 minutes to register. Also, would take less time to go thru in the future because I would only have to show TSA my boarding pass and not have to show my I.D. Signed up and was thru security in short order.

United Club is supposed to open before the end of January. I’ll be happy if it actually does.

Search this Thread