Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Stops between GSP and AUS

Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

Hello--

I'm picking up my new vehicle from the BMW plant near the GSP airport in a few weeks. I'll be ready to leave there around 3-4pm on a Thursday.

It looks like the Atlanta area is only 2-1/2 hours away. I've never been, other than going through the airport. Can anyone recommend a part of town that could give me a flavor of the city, that is somewhat easy to get to from either the I-85 or the I-20, and that doesn't charge a ton for parking? I'd prefer not to have to valet. Bonus if I can charge my vehicle (it is a hybrid) overnight.
From the sounds of it, Atlanta traffic is horrible. I can hang out in Greensboro for a bit, get snacks/water, etc., and leave there later if that would be helpful. Or I could stop elsewhere along the route.

I was thinking my next stop would be near Shreveport, LA. I can start and end my driving day at my leisure on that Friday. If someone has a recommendation that is further east, I might consider it.

From Shreveport, it should be an easy daytrip back to the Austin area.

Any thoughts or suggestions that I might be missing? I've never been to SC, GA, AL, MS yet (or TN if I can squeeze that in).

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:19 pm

Greenville, not Greensboro. If you drive towards Greensoboro, you're in for a surprise. Downtown Greenville is actually quite nice.

Atlanta traffic is definitely bad. If you leave BMW at 3 or 4, you'll be there in time to miss most of it and be going against traffic into the city. What are you looking to do in Atlanta? Just get dinner? What kind of stuff do you like?

The easy choice is Buckhead or the Brookhaven/Perimeter area. You do not want to stop off of I-20... just... skip that until you are outside of the city. Atlanta is a lot like Houston or Dallas, huge and sprawling.

I've driven that exact route via 20 and it's not that exciting. Birmingham has some good points. Vicksburg has some great historical sites. A lot of the towns along the way are pretty small. I've stayed overnight in Meridian and it was just a dot on the map. Driving over the Mississipppi is cool. I've flown over it hundreds of times, but only driven over it maybe 5-10 times. It's really big.

I would almost be tempted to drive up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy or just into the mountains since you are so close. They are very beautiful. It would add another day, but a very pretty one especially if you aren't used to seeing mountains.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
I would almost be tempted to drive up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy or just into the mountains since you are so close. They are very beautiful. It would add another day, but a very pretty one especially if you aren't used to seeing mountains.
Thanks for the reply!

I have driven in mountains, but been a while, and definitely not in the new vehicle I'll be picking up.

How is the drive from Greenville through Ashville to Knoxville? Maybe I can do that the first day?
Google maps says about 3 hours, does that sound accurate?
It would be a slight detour, but if the drive is worth it, I think I can swing it.

From Knoxville, I could still go to Shreveport in a day, but that would be a long day (about 10-11 hours). What about Monroe, LA? Anything to see there?

Monroe to Austin looks about 6-7 hours, so still not too bad for a day.

I've done several cross-country trips, just in other vehicles and different parts of the country. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and drove from near Seattle back there. Then I drove to/from Arizona a few times.
I have crossed the Mississippi, but further up--around St Louis and in the Twin Cities areas. One time while crossing near St Louis the river was quite full--kind of scary driving across that bridge!
I've driven through western Virginia along the I-81, from near Roanoke up to Harrisburg, but that was a part of a military convoy when I was in the National Guard.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
While I dearly love both cities, the drive from Asheville to Knoxville is not one I would care to make in the dark in an unfamiliar vehicle for the first time. It is mountainous and winding. The daytime scenery is spectacular. Spend the night in Asheville and save Knoxville for another trip.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
While I dearly love both cities, the drive from Asheville to Knoxville is not one I would care to make in the dark in an unfamiliar vehicle for the first time. It is mountainous and winding. The daytime scenery is spectacular. Spend the night in Asheville and save Knoxville for another trip.
Thanks!

I'll just go with my original plan to head south from Greenville to Atlanta, then onward toward Texas.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:37 pm

During the day, it's beautiful. I've done that drive more times than I can count. At night, boring.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Since I'll be passing near Atlanta, what area would you suggest staying in?

I'd get there around 6pm, leaving around 9am the next morning. I just need a place to sleep, grab dinner, etc. Would prefer easy off/on the freeway.

There's a few clusters of HHonors properties along the 285 loop. One looks near Perimeter mall (near 285 and 19/400), the other near the Galleria (near 285 and the I-75).

Another option that I found is the Hilton Garden Inn in Uptown. Looks like a nice area, easy off/on the freeway, and surprisingly at a good price.
My concern with this is traffic in and out.
Would traffic be really bad getting here around 6? I'd probably leave around 9am (might walk over and see what I can see of the Margaret Mitchell house, although it doesn't open until 11am).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:33 pm

Which HGI? Midtown or downtown?

Atlanta doesn't really call anywhere uptown. Downtown then midtown then Buckhead.

I'd pick Perimeter over Galleria. For both access and the area... But I did live there for years so I like the area.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Which HGI? Midtown or downtown?
This is the location:
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:27 am

Yes, that's a nice hotel in Midtown. I've stayed there multiple times. Parking isn't free though. It's all valet.

You would hit traffic coming in, but not that bad. You'll be against the flow.

Easy walk up to the Margaret Mitchell house which you can walk up to on the outside. Also Vortex and Taco Mac if you want to stuff yourself.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that's a nice hotel in Midtown. I've stayed there multiple times. Parking isn't free though. It's all valet.

You would hit traffic coming in, but not that bad. You'll be against the flow.

Easy walk up to the Margaret Mitchell house which you can walk up to on the outside. Also Vortex and Taco Mac* if you want to stuff yourself.
*And drink beer. All Taco Mac locations have an excellent selection of beer.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:23 pm

Indeed. I forget what level I'm at now. In the 300 range, I believe. It's a lot more slow going now that I'm not in Atlanta much.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so I reserved the Homewood Atlanta Midtown (in the same building as the HGI, which must be selling out).

I'll stay at the Hilton Shreveport, LA the next night.

Anyone have ideas for where to stop between the two? I've never been in either Alabama or Mississippi... It looks like the drive is about 9 hours!
Both Birmingham, AL and Jackson, MS are along the route. Any recommendations for places to eat in either, or a small town not far from the I-20?

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will pass by my former hometown of Anniston, Alabama. Keep driving.

About 20 miles further west, you will pass the Talladega Motor Speedway. You can see it from the interstate. Keep driving.

If you hit Tuscaloosa around mealtime and enjoy barbecue, you might consider stopping at Dreamland.

Last edited by BamaVol; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:38 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:58 am

Ha! That's funny. I have stayed in Anniston and Oxford a few times while doing track days at the Talledega Grand Prix track (not the giant oval, the smaller, fun one). If you need a quick gas and drink stop, it will do the trick. Not the most exiting place I've stayed overnight though. Just go to the exit with the HGI and the Mellow Mushroom, not the one with the Walmart. Scaaaary. lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.