FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stops between GSP and AUS
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:16 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by MissJ
I would almost be tempted to drive up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy or just into the mountains since you are so close. They are very beautiful. It would add another day, but a very pretty one especially if you aren't used to seeing mountains.
Thanks for the reply!

I have driven in mountains, but been a while, and definitely not in the new vehicle I'll be picking up.

How is the drive from Greenville through Ashville to Knoxville? Maybe I can do that the first day?
Google maps says about 3 hours, does that sound accurate?
It would be a slight detour, but if the drive is worth it, I think I can swing it.

From Knoxville, I could still go to Shreveport in a day, but that would be a long day (about 10-11 hours). What about Monroe, LA? Anything to see there?

Monroe to Austin looks about 6-7 hours, so still not too bad for a day.

I've done several cross-country trips, just in other vehicles and different parts of the country. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and drove from near Seattle back there. Then I drove to/from Arizona a few times.
I have crossed the Mississippi, but further up--around St Louis and in the Twin Cities areas. One time while crossing near St Louis the river was quite full--kind of scary driving across that bridge!
I've driven through western Virginia along the I-81, from near Roanoke up to Harrisburg, but that was a part of a military convoy when I was in the National Guard.