FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stops between GSP and AUS
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:31 am
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Stops between GSP and AUS

Hello--

I'm picking up my new vehicle from the BMW plant near the GSP airport in a few weeks. I'll be ready to leave there around 3-4pm on a Thursday.

It looks like the Atlanta area is only 2-1/2 hours away. I've never been, other than going through the airport. Can anyone recommend a part of town that could give me a flavor of the city, that is somewhat easy to get to from either the I-85 or the I-20, and that doesn't charge a ton for parking? I'd prefer not to have to valet. Bonus if I can charge my vehicle (it is a hybrid) overnight.
From the sounds of it, Atlanta traffic is horrible. I can hang out in Greensboro for a bit, get snacks/water, etc., and leave there later if that would be helpful. Or I could stop elsewhere along the route.

I was thinking my next stop would be near Shreveport, LA. I can start and end my driving day at my leisure on that Friday. If someone has a recommendation that is further east, I might consider it.

From Shreveport, it should be an easy daytrip back to the Austin area.

Any thoughts or suggestions that I might be missing? I've never been to SC, GA, AL, MS yet (or TN if I can squeeze that in).

Thanks!