Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Patagonia in August

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Patagonia in August

Planning a trip to South America in early August and want to visit Patagonia for a few days as well as the Lakes district and Bariloche. Not sure about the weather though - has anyone been there at that time?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by WendyandPeter
Planning a trip to South America in early August and want to visit Patagonia for a few days as well as the Lakes district and Bariloche. Not sure about the weather though - has anyone been there at that time?
Better take some woolies and snow-shoes Punta Arenas, in the deep south but relatively mild, should be hovering a little above freezing-point in the daytime. Bariloche will be spectacular.

http://www.exchile.com/guideseasons.html

Last edited by IAN-UK; Feb 8, 2009 at 4:34 am
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: OnePass
It will be cold and rainy, most likely. I was in northern Patagonia and the lakes district this past September. Puerto Montt is very rainy this time of year.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by WendyandPeter
If this is going to be the only chance to go to Patagonia, or you're going to be skiing in Bariloche, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, I'd go at another time of year. August is still mid-winter and the very unpredictable Patagonian weather will be even more unpredictable than in the summer months.

The weather isn't the only issue to take into account. A lot of the tourist-related services and tours in southern Patagonia will not be operating. One of the highlights - ice trekking on the Perito Moreno glaciar in El Calafate - will not be an option in August as the tours only start in September.

I was in Bariloche, El Calafate and Ushuaia in early September a couple of years ago (work trip, not a holiday). I was blessed with excellent weather in Bariloche and Calafate. In Ushuaia it was bitterly cold with heavy snow storms which was a great experience but not sure if it will be your cup of tea for a holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.