FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Patagonia in August
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:01 am
britenbsas

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by WendyandPeter
Planning a trip to South America in early August and want to visit Patagonia for a few days as well as the Lakes district and Bariloche. Not sure about the weather though - has anyone been there at that time?
If this is going to be the only chance to go to Patagonia, or you're going to be skiing in Bariloche, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, I'd go at another time of year. August is still mid-winter and the very unpredictable Patagonian weather will be even more unpredictable than in the summer months.

The weather isn't the only issue to take into account. A lot of the tourist-related services and tours in southern Patagonia will not be operating. One of the highlights - ice trekking on the Perito Moreno glaciar in El Calafate - will not be an option in August as the tours only start in September.

I was in Bariloche, El Calafate and Ushuaia in early September a couple of years ago (work trip, not a holiday). I was blessed with excellent weather in Bariloche and Calafate. In Ushuaia it was bitterly cold with heavy snow storms which was a great experience but not sure if it will be your cup of tea for a holiday.