Search

Easter Island -- my experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chunky649
Thank you all to your responses. Here is my thinking, with some contingencies:

7am: arrival, pick up luggage (duffel, not too heavy), walk to town to pick up rental car and breakfast.
8am: officially start the journey - driving north to visit Anakena beach (including the navel stones), then, Ahu Tongariki, Rano Raraku, then back to town area for lunch, then visit Orongo last.

From my reading, these are the must-see, and from the maps, I don't think I need a guide (not interested in explanations/histories/stories) UNLESS the paths/sights are not clearly marked/accessable from the main road.

We'll bring snacks in case we can't get breakfast at 7:30am.
If the rental places can't accomodate a 7am start, we can walk to Orongo first.
We'll bring rain gear in case we need it.
If there is a weather delay, we'll play it by ear.
Worst case, we hire a taxi/guide to see as much as we can in the time we have.

I'll write a report after I'm done (early November)

Thanks for the encouragement from Ghia74. The Taj was definitely a 1-day affair (not even, but it takes time to get there from Delhi). I thought it was awesome, but I never want to go back there. I feel the same about the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls (even though I've returned to both many times, mainly to bring others there). Interestingly, other less remarkable places attracts me back for different reasons - NYC, San Fransisco, Paris, Death Valley, Zion National Park... Perhaps Easter Island will become one of these places. People see EI as remote and therefore exotic and special. For for a frequent traveler, its simply a little more flight time and preparation. (From the US, not too different than flying to Singapore or AUS/NZ).
Unless you reserve in advance, your odds of getting a car at 8 am in Hanga Roa are very low. You'll waste at least another hour. Reserving in advance -- meeting you at the airport -- is the single smartest thing you could do.

You can't walk to Orongo.

As far as getting lost, that's almost impossible if you have a map. You don't need a guide to avoid getting lost.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by chunky649
...The Taj was definitely a 1-day affair (not even, but it takes time to get there from Delhi). I thought it was awesome, but I never want to go back there. I feel the same about the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls (even though I've returned to both many times, mainly to bring others there). Interestingly, other less remarkable places attracts me back for different reasons - NYC, San Fransisco, Paris, Death Valley, Zion National Park...
Great observation!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: LATAM Black
Hi,

I'm the FT member that ghia74 kindly referred to, as I have lived here on the island for the last decade or so, and now write and guide about it. I haven't read all the threads, but did see a few things that I thought I would correct on recent posts:

If you're just coming for the day, you won't be able to pick up a car in town until about 9.30am...things open late here. Book one in advance or even better take a tour...there's too much to see here in one day and with signage etc. being so bad, you don't want to waste a minute. The National Park also doesn't open until 9.30am, meaning you'll need to know where to go that doesn't have a barrier across it if you're starting early.

30 mins is too short for check-in at the airport on the way back...they close the flight about 40 mins beforehand, even though it's the only flight. I always suggest 90-60 minutes beforehand.

Worth planning to avoid the big tour groups, as they all follow a set itinerary each day and you'll find a big difference between Rano Raraku with 20 people and 200 people.

Don't miss out Orongo...it's not moais but it's still historically fascinating and the views of the crater of Rano Kau and offshore islets are spectacular.

Buy your National park entrance ticket at the airport...it's $10 cheaper.

Things are expensive here, particularly food, but not impossible, and there are some cheaper options too.

I don't get as much time on FT as I'd like (or flying for that matter), but am happy to help where I can.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by Pirohua
Worth planning to avoid the big tour groups, as they all follow a set itinerary each day and you'll find a big difference between Rano Raraku with 20 people and 200 people.
I was going to post that Companion Guide to Easter Island is perfect for this, and I realised that Pirohua is the author. Since he didn't plug his book, I'll plug his book for him. I was just there in August, and I found the book really useful for saying what times to visit in order to avoid the crowds and for the best photography light.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
I was going to post that Companion Guide to Easter Island is perfect for this, and I realised that Pirohua is the author. Since he didn't plug his book, I'll plug his book for him. I was just there in August, and I found the book really useful for saying what times to visit in order to avoid the crowds and for the best photography light.
I'd second that (and awesome that the author is here on FT!
I used that book the whole time I was on Easter Island - I used it as a map around the island, visiting each site. It was immensely helpful because many of the roads are poorly marked. He provides distances/landmarks to help with finding the sites. I would then arrive, read up on it and then do some exploring. It was a great way to go.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Tekarera didn't respond to all 3 of my emails attemping to make a rental car reservation. Any other recommended car rental place I can contact for an early morning rental?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Easter Island at Christmas

I'm thinking of visiting Easter Island over Christmas (probably arriving on the 23rd and leaving on 27th). Will anything be open? Is the big celebration on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve? I'm prepared to take care of myself, as long as I can get a hotel, food, and some wheels. Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by someotherguy
I'm thinking of visiting Easter Island over Christmas (probably arriving on the 23rd and leaving on 27th). Will anything be open? Is the big celebration on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve? I'm prepared to take care of myself, as long as I can get a hotel, food, and some wheels. Thanks.
I went to Easter Island a few days after X-mas (over New Year's) and some things were definitely closed on New Year's Day. But not everything. At most, it will be a minor inconvenience. Nothing is likely to be closed on the surrounding days.

I have been in mainland Chile on X-mas day, and I've always been struck by how much more minor the holiday seems to be in Chile than in the USA. Like the supermarkets and bakers are open, perhpas with some of the employees wearing Holiday hats. It's not like the USA at all. So I would expect similar X-mas conditions on Easter Island.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Is the big celebration on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve?
Christmas Eve. Christmas Day, if things do open, it will be late in the day like in the afternoon.

For those on the mainland, as the government has proclaimed the 25th "irrenunciable", supermarkets and malls will be closed. Restaurants and owner operated and family run operations can legally operate but most other businesses employing workers have to give them that day off.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:16 pm

Hi all, I'm visiting EI from 11/18-11/21 and wanted to see if anyone had any recent experiences with Entel data coverage. I found someone selling Entel SIM cards on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330811139437) but wanted to poll the audience before dropping ~$40 (SIM + credit for their largest data plan, 150Mb).

Entel's site shows coverage all over the island, just wanted to see if anyone had the same experience. Also, is there anywhere to reload the SIM on the island?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by jrmstr33
Hi all, I'm visiting EI from 11/18-11/21 and wanted to see if anyone had any recent experiences with Entel data coverage. I found someone selling Entel SIM cards on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330811139437) but wanted to poll the audience before dropping ~$40 (SIM + credit for their largest data plan, 150Mb).

Entel's site shows coverage all over the island, just wanted to see if anyone had the same experience. Also, is there anywhere to reload the SIM on the island?

Thanks in advance!
The only claim that you should believe is being able to get a usable signal in Hanga Roa. Also realize there is an additional $350 CLP charge per minute for outgoing calls. The main pharmacy in Hanga Roa should be able to recharge and probably other places in town.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
The only claim that you should believe is being able to get a usable signal in Hanga Roa. Also realize there is an additional $350 CLP charge per minute for outgoing calls. The main pharmacy in Hanga Roa should be able to recharge and probably other places in town.
Thanks Viajero Perpetuo. All I care about is data coverage (for e-mail/occasional Maps). I guess the coverage maps aren't as accurate as they make it to be..
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:28 pm

No celphone coverage at all outside Hanga Roa, and you can buy Entel sim cards on arrival at Santiago airport...they have a booth opposite the check-in desks on the 3rd floor. Yes, calls from the island add a surcharge, but most hotels have an acceptable speed of wi-fi in their receptions, where you can download all the info before you set off across the island. Not much good info on the internet however...maps & info etc. are better procured locally.

Correct, the sole pharmacy here, Cruz Verde, will recharge your sim.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:32 pm

As a tourist destination, things pretty much run as normal here over Xmas. Some places might close slightly earlier than usual on the evening of the 24th, and the morning of the 25th might be slightly slower than normal, but the National Park will open as usual, and car hire companies etc. will more than happily rent you wheels.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'd second that (and awesome that the author is here on FT!
I used that book the whole time I was on Easter Island - I used it as a map around the island, visiting each site. It was immensely helpful because many of the roads are poorly marked. He provides distances/landmarks to help with finding the sites. I would then arrive, read up on it and then do some exploring. It was a great way to go.
Many thanks...and glad that it proved helpful for your visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.