Easter Island -- my experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easter Island -- my experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:16 pm

Solo Traveler

Since I will be traveling on my own, I would rather not do a private tour in order to avoid the high cost. Can anyone recommend a good local guide who runs day tours for small groups? How much did you pay for a full/half day tour?

Also, I will be on the island 5-7 October. If other Flyertalkers are there at the same time, it would be nice to meet for a drink or share a tour. However, I am NOT looking to share a room!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:53 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by golmaale
Since I will be traveling on my own, I would rather not do a private tour in order to avoid the high cost. Can anyone recommend a good local guide who runs day tours for small groups? How much did you pay for a full/half day tour?

Also, I will be on the island 5-7 October. If other Flyertalkers are there at the same time, it would be nice to meet for a drink or share a tour. However, I am NOT looking to share a room!
really the island is so small u reallly dont need a tour, just rent a car on your own.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:17 am
Used to be highman123

I outlined my experience here:

http://www.mightytravels.com/1323275..._de_pascua.php

I spent only 48hrs on the island which was enough time to see all the major sights. However you can easily spend 7 days to soak everything in. There are no chain hotels on Easter Island and restaurants charge well above average. Be prepared for that!

Avios charges just 12,500 points from Santiago de Chile to Easter Island one-way in Economy. LAN also has a flight from PPT to IPC for the same price. So if you find yourself on vacation in PPT and need some cultural exploration don't miss the opportunity to go to Easter Island, it's very worthwhile. I'm already looking forward to go back!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
I outlined my experience here:

http://www.mightytravels.com/1323275..._de_pascua.php

I spent only 48hrs on the island which was enough time to see all the major sights. However you can easily spend 7 days to soak everything in. There are no chain hotels on Easter Island and restaurants charge well above average. Be prepared for that!
Nice review. I spent there three days last year and I completely agree with you. While you can see everything there is to see in two days, I'd love to spend there few more days and just relax. It's not a luxury-type place, but more of a laid-back, disconnect from the rest of the world type of place. Highly recommended.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Folks who have been to Easter Island, as well as those who are thinking of going, may be interested in a Nova TV program about the island tomorrow, Wednesday, Feb. 19.

It's a re-run of a 2012 presentation.

The program is scheduled for 8 PM on PBS here in Austin, so presumably 9 PM Eastern.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:46 am

Nova

I think it may be the same NOVA show that's available online at pbs.com. I think the best online videos about Easter Island are on Amazon Prime. Mysteries Easter Island is particularly decent.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:04 am

Here's another very useful Easter Island travel guide, has all the information you'd need:
https://www.easterisland.travel/travel-guide/

Last edited by MeeTaeKori; Jul 15, 2015 at 8:13 pm
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Heading to Easter Island next weekend and haven't booked anything yet. I'm fine renting a car and driving around (I'll be there 2 full days) on my own, but where are some places you all would suggest to stay? I don't mind budget accommodations, but have read quite a few stories about hotel thieves and want to stay in a place with a safe reputation.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Heading to Easter Island next weekend and haven't booked anything yet. I'm fine renting a car and driving around (I'll be there 2 full days) on my own, but where are some places you all would suggest to stay? I don't mind budget accommodations, but have read quite a few stories about hotel thieves and want to stay in a place with a safe reputation.
Hotel thieves on Easter Island? Really? Never heard of such a thing. But I'm guessing there's someplace where it's happened.

You could read through this thread, or simply look for accommodation reviews on tripadvisor. Or, as stated in my original post, just show up and get a room to your liking -- likely at a significantly lower price.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:53 am

Tripadvisor is where I read about the hotel thievery. Enjoyed reading through all the various reports on this thread (and I'll contribute my own shortly). Normally I'd just wing it, but I want to try and maximize my time as much as possible.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Tripadvisor is where I read about the hotel thievery. Enjoyed reading through all the various reports on this thread (and I'll contribute my own shortly). Normally I'd just wing it, but I want to try and maximize my time as much as possible.
OK, my $.02. I stayed at Inaki Uhi while visiting and I loved it. It's family-run, clean, simple, and centrally located. The manager is Rapa Nui/Chilean and proud of the island and its heritage. His parents are on site and love to interact with guests. His grandfather was the mayor of Hanga Roa when they decided to raise the fallen moai. His grandmother is the oldest living Rapa Nui female on the island (and a lovely woman to meet). The manager also gives small-group tours for guests that avoid the times when larger groups visit the moai sites.

I was a solo traveller there for three nights (October 2013), and had a fantastic time. Just one data point for you. :-)
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:58 pm

Thanks! I reached out via their website, if I don't hear back before I get there I'll just try and find them once I get into town.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
My thoughts are posted in the mileage run discussion forum: [FARE GONE] LA: MEX-IPC (Easter Island) ~$332ai

Some points that are more helpful to future Easter Island travelers:

SCL-IPC seat assignments - For the flight to IPC, get a window seat on the right side to see the island on the way in, and fly on the left when leaving the island.

National Park Ticket - The airport-only discount rumored on other threads, reducing the price from $60 US to $50 US seems to have ended. Expect to pay the full $60. However, despite losing my national park ticket within a few hours of arrival, I never had to show my national park ticket. Maybe I was just lucky.

Hotel reservations upon arrival - Per the advice of others on this thread, I decided to book/negotiate my hotel upon arrival. Unfortunately, I can't recommend the one I ended up with -- Hostel VaiHere. The owner/operator is a very nice woman, but the room I ended up in wasn't great. The location was very good -- a few minute walk to the main road of the town.

The hostel is pretty much a personal home divided in half: half residence, half hostel. The room for my first night had only two light bulbs, and no fan. There were two doors connecting to the room, but they were blocked, as it led to the private residence. It was quite warm. Never underestimate the benefit of having a fan in the room! My second night, I spent in a room with a nice large window, which was a welcome benefit, but the bathroom was shared (despite my insistence I'd have a private ensuite bathroom).

I really shouldn't complain for the rate I received (20,000 pesos per night, or $35), but the two rooms I stayed in were rather uncomfortable. Other operators at the airport were offering rooms at 30,000 pesos per night.

Car rental - Again, based off of other reports, I decided to wait to book my vehicle by walking down the main road to the various car rental places. The rate I was quoted at the airport was 55,000 pesos/day (~$98) for an automatic transmission. After visiting four car rental places on the main road (I later learned there's a fifth if you go uphill from the post office), the best price I could find was 50,000 pesos/day (~$90, cash only), a discount off of the 85,000 pesos/day (~$153) credit card price for a 4WD pickup truck. The price should have been around 30-35,000 pesos, but my hostel owner was unable to negotiate such a rate.

The only gas station - There's only one gas station on the island. And there's only two choices of gas: diesel or unleaded. You can pay for gas with a credit card... provided that the convenience store is open. The convenience store was closed all day Sunday and most of Monday morning.

Currency denominations - According to multiple people on the island, small denominations of currency are scarce, since everyone comes to the island with 10,000 peso notes. Which might explain why everything on the island seems to be 5,000 peso increments.

Sunday on the island - Don't expect anything to be open before the early afternoon. And due to the rainy conditions, I figure a lot of owner/operators decided to stay in and not open their business. Then there was a power outage Sunday evening, further limiting the operating hours.

Businesses with backup generators - The two supermarkets on the main road, the pharmacy, maybe others, but if the power goes out, not much will be happening on the island.

The moai - I don't regret going to Easter Island, but it reminds of a destination like Niagara Falls. Once you've seen it, you're kind of done with it (a Japanese tourist I encountered on the island: "I don't care about statues any more!"). And since most of the moai are toppled, it's hard to distinguish which piles of rocks have significance, and which ones don't (or at least, without a tour guide). Although I preferred my self-guided, self-paced tour compared to the large groups being herded around the island. It's still a really cool place to visit.

Stargazing - One thing I cannot recommend strongly enough is to go stargazing at least one of your nights out on the island. Drive only 15 minutes away from the town on the island, and you'll see tons of stars with the naked eye. I saw at least a dozen meteors, and my visit didn't even coincide with a meteor shower. The Milky Way is also visible, and very awesome to look at. I doubt you'll find a cab driver to drive you to a remote part of the island in the middle of the night, so this is another reason to rent a car.

If you bring items to the island - If you do decide to bring items to the island, be it food or something else, I recommend taking your trash with you back to the mainland. I'm not an environmentalist, but when I thought about where all the trash from the island ends up, I decided to cart out all of my trash to a place that probably has substantial recycling facilities. There's trash/recycling cans as soon as you disembark in SCL, so it's pretty easy to do.

Last edited by ianmanka; Apr 21, 2014 at 9:49 pm Reason: wrong link text
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Subsequent trips to the island

Well, I hope they keep bringing back the super-cheap MEX-IPC with possibility of a stopover in LIM or SCL. Even though I got moai'ed out a bit as well, the Poike peninsula hike sounds quite worthwhile (a full day), and it appeared that tour companies went there infrequently. There are other trails and of course u can just hang out at Anakena Beach (which also has food stands, etc.)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Just noticed I gave an improper title to my link in my previous post. The link still worked, but it might have been confusing. Fixed now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.