Wiki Posts
Search

Easter Island -- my experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amolkold
I'm going there in February and the cheapest lodging I can find is $110/night for 2 people! Would it really be best to wait until getting to the island to get a room? I'm there the week of Feb 12, coming off the LIM flight. I'm just afraid of not having anything available when I get there ...
Where are you getting your rates from? Easter Island is not a place where you can really use the internet to obtain pricing. If you want to get a deal, you have to individually contact the owners of each guest house/motel. I sent a bunch of emails, and most of them responded.

That said, I do believe that you will be arriving during the annual Tapati festival. Congratulations! I think that's generally a good thing. The bad thing is that the usual advice of not needing advance reservations may not apply (and you might have to pay a little more). Personally, I would make advance reservations during Festival time (better safe than sorry, right?). So, if you haven't done so already, start sending those emails. Let us know how it goes.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:38 am

Thanks for this thread and the information -- I've made a lot of notes! My flight from LIM to Easter Island arrives at 650a -- is this too early for the locals to meet the flight to arrange lodging? Would you mind PMing me with the email addresses you contacted, or directing me to where you found them? I'm willing to wait to figure out lodging until I get there, but I must admit it does make me a bit nervous! I'd like to have an idea of what to spend on a room for two people/one bed.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jax78
Thanks for this thread and the information -- I've made a lot of notes! My flight from LIM to Easter Island arrives at 650a -- is this too early for the locals to meet the flight to arrange lodging? Would you mind PMing me with the email addresses you contacted, or directing me to where you found them? I'm willing to wait to figure out lodging until I get there, but I must admit it does make me a bit nervous! I'd like to have an idea of what to spend on a room for two people/one bed.
We'll have to get a report, but my guess is that many of the locals have nothing else to do except meet flights!

And even if they don't, the nice thing about a 6:50 arrival is that you've got plenty of time to make arrangements. Assuming you're not burdened with luggage, just walk into town (15 minutes?) and see what you can find. As far as prices go, I'd budget $50 to $100/night depending on your luck and comfort requirements.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by iahphx
We'll have to get a report, but my guess is that many of the locals have nothing else to do except meet flights!

And even if they don't, the nice thing about a 6:50 arrival is that you've got plenty of time to make arrangements. Assuming you're not burdened with luggage, just walk into town (15 minutes?) and see what you can find. As far as prices go, I'd budget $50 to $100/night depending on your luck and comfort requirements.
Since their livelihood depends upon finding guests, I don't image the lodging owners will sleep through a plane arrival.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
I'm going there in February and the cheapest lodging I can find is $110/night for 2 people! Would it really be best to wait until getting to the island to get a room? I'm there the week of Feb 12, coming off the LIM flight. I'm just afraid of not having anything available when I get there ...
Hi- Here are some options to check as well for pricing:

www.hostelworld.com
www.bedandbreakfastworld.com
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
We're trying to decide what to do for our April trip too..

@iahphx, thanks for the suggestion to send emails.
@allensun, thanks for the links.

we'll try to do some checking around...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:12 pm

Lots of good advice here. I'll be going late August... 8/22 - 8/26 to IPC (from LIM), and later spending 2 full days in LIM. Is the consensus still that arriving without lodging plans is ideal and we shouldn't have issues getting cheap rates as far as lodging and good availability? We found a good place for $60 USD/nite -- the g/f wants a private bathroom, that's really the only requirement, so for that price it doesn't seem unreasonable and the place has good reviews, but would be interesting if it can be bargained even more.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vacaloca
Lots of good advice here. I'll be going late August... 8/22 - 8/26 to IPC (from LIM), and later spending 2 full days in LIM. Is the consensus still that arriving without lodging plans is ideal and we shouldn't have issues getting cheap rates as far as lodging and good availability? We found a good place for $60 USD/nite -- the g/f wants a private bathroom, that's really the only requirement, so for that price it doesn't seem unreasonable and the place has good reviews, but would be interesting if it can be bargained even more.
$60/night is pretty darn cheap. Do you really want something cheaper? At that price point, I would just be looking for something better!

As far as reviews go, I assume you're looking at Tripadvisor (I don't know where else you'd find meaningful Easter Island reviews). Remember, the people who stay at $60 night "hotels" on Easter Island and are happy probably aren't too fussy. Unless everyone says it's fantastic (5 stars), I would take the reviews with a grain of salt. That's why it's generally good to eyeball these properties for yourself before committing.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
$60/night is pretty darn cheap. Do you really want something cheaper? At that price point, I would just be looking for something better!

As far as reviews go, I assume you're looking at Tripadvisor (I don't know where else you'd find meaningful Easter Island reviews). Remember, the people who stay at $60 night "hotels" on Easter Island and are happy probably aren't too fussy. Unless everyone says it's fantastic (5 stars), I would take the reviews with a grain of salt. That's why it's generally good to eyeball these properties for yourself before committing.
Yup, I was on Tripadvisor/Expedia. The reviews are pretty solid on both sites; it's family run and has a small dinky no-frills website, so it fits for us.

She's mid 20's, I'm a few years older and we're happy traveling on a budget of miles as long as it's not picking a rental car from an off-airpot USAVE location in Orlando with a 'For Lease' sign and evidence of shattered gun shots in the building facade, haha.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:16 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by vacaloca
Yup, I was on Tripadvisor/Expedia. The reviews are pretty solid on both sites; it's family run and has a small dinky no-frills website, so it fits for us.
What place are you considering? I am going in early April . Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
I will post my recent (November) experience when I finish the rest of my travels in a couple of days.

I can recommend this guy:
http://tekarera.com/entour.htm

His experience goes back to being the youngest member of a research team on Easter Island back in 1968.

Suerte.
Thanks! I made a booking with him. I shopped around a bit and he seems competitively priced and easy to communicate with. If anyone else decides to contact him I suggest e-mailing directly as I got no reply with the online form.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by Henwurst
Thanks! I made a booking with him. I shopped around a bit and he seems competitively priced and easy to communicate with. If anyone else decides to contact him I suggest e-mailing directly as I got no reply with the online form.
If he remembers, I'm the guy that drove the truck on his tour because he had his license taken away by the Carabineros police for two weeks+ for speeding . His story of being trapped in a subterranean chamber of one of the ceremonial houses at the crater is quite intriguing. He is probably one of the longest resident gringos on the island so do ask about island life and the conflict the natives have with the mainland.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:44 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am now going to Easter Island for 2 nights

Plan

Day 1: Arrive 4.30pm, find someone at the airport to offer me accommodation? How hard can I/should I haggle a deal?
Day 2: Full day. Get a car and drive around all day. Do I organise the car the previous night or try to find one in the morning? Is there a particular place to find rental cars in Hanga Roa? Being honest, I have had a look at Orongo and Rano Kau on the internet and I am not too fished about going to see them. I would rather freestyle it around the island and include Tongariki and Anakena beach plus follow my nose/map.
Day 3: Do the walkable Maois near Hanga Roa and then head back to the airport.

Is this realistic?

EDIT: Oops forgot a question. Will my ENTEL chip work in Easter Island?

Last edited by JohnnyColombia; Apr 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I got my rental from my innkeeper - the whole process was incredibly informal. mentioned it to him that afternoon when he picked me up from the airport.

I'd give a thumb's up for going up to Orongo if you have time. More than anything else, the views were spectacular because you're so high up.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
JohnnyColombia, your plan sounds realistic to me. I think that 2 nights is about the right amount of time on the island.

I walked up to a car rental place on the "Main Street" and rented a vehicle on the spot, but innkeepers can do that for you and have it delivered.

Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.