Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

SAA Voyager re-launch --> now spend based for status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA Voyager re-launch --> now spend based for status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:46 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by gcuk
I do very little flying on SAA now, preferring to credit to BA because of SAA's lousy redemption rates for our annual holiday to Cape Town. I will have some miles expiring though so was looking at crediting a few domestic flights on upcoming trips to reach the 6000 miles to preserve those for another year.
We use a travel agent in the UK who issues tickets in £'s. Any experience on how the air transportation charges are converted to Rands to calculate the voyager miles earned? Is it exchange rate at booking, exchange rate on date of travel, a fixed exchange rate? Looking to credit just enough to preserve miles and then credit the rest to BA.
if you want to preserve and you fly to cpt every year

why not just swipe it at total specsavers avis or something
http://www.flysaa.com/za/en/voyager/...ingMiles.html#
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Thanks cur. My reading of the rules is that unless I earn 6000 Voyager miles per annum flying on SAA, my accumulated miles from 3 years ago expire. I have 500,000 expiring April 2017 so wanted to make sure I earn just enough miles to preserve them until April 2018 during which time I'll use them on Star Alliance flights. Thereafter I don't intend to credit any flying to SAA. Booking in Sterling from the UK complicates the 1 mile per R1.60 spend, hence my question about how and when fares denominated in Sterling are converted to Rands and then miles. I don't think spending on Avis etc preserves miles from expiring.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:18 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by gcuk
Thanks cur. My reading of the rules is that unless I earn 6000 Voyager miles per annum flying on SAA, my accumulated miles from 3 years ago expire. I have 500,000 expiring April 2017 so wanted to make sure I earn just enough miles to preserve them until April 2018 during which time I'll use them on Star Alliance flights. Thereafter I don't intend to credit any flying to SAA. Booking in Sterling from the UK complicates the 1 mile per R1.60 spend, hence my question about how and when fares denominated in Sterling are converted to Rands and then miles. I don't think spending on Avis etc preserves miles from expiring.
wow i just read the tcs and it's even worse than i could have ever imagined... miles even expire for lifetime platinums unless they spend 300k on their credit card every year

wow

good luck

i'd burn as quick as possible, who knows saa may alter the award chart this year with 0 notice
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Could you not book on the .za site since you only require domestic flights?

I fear you'd get nailed in the exchange rate, they would take a very favourable bank rate and I wouldn't be surprised to see a GBP worth 20.40ZAR or something silly like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.