Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

SAA Voyager re-launch --> now spend based for status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA Voyager re-launch --> now spend based for status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by evanb
You should be dividing by 1.6, not multiplying.
Actually in many cases you would earn more miles - but with those tremendous award levels (up to 10 times higher than before when redeeming on SA rather than on Star!!), the practical value of that is non-existing.

The only way to continue using that program is earning on SA and redeeming on Star partners...
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:48 am

In SA's FFP, does the status bonus apply only to SA marketed and SA/Star alliance operated flights? Can I get status bonus if my flight is LH marketed and operated? I'm a bit confused on what was written in SA Voyager's website --> "Status Bonus Miles when you fly SAA operating and marketing flights" (https://www.flysaa.com/za/en/voyager...dBenefits.html)
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Voyager
Originally Posted by andideocampo
In SA's FFP, does the status bonus apply only to SA marketed and SA/Star alliance operated flights? Can I get status bonus if my flight is LH marketed and operated? I'm a bit confused on what was written in SA Voyager's website --> "Status Bonus Miles when you fly SAA operating and marketing flights" (https://www.flysaa.com/za/en/voyager...dBenefits.html)
As I understand it, it needs to be a 3 or 4-digit SA flight number. 3 digits operated by SAA and 4 digits as a codeshare. So IMO if you book the LH flight (operated by) but booked as a 4 digit SA code the same should apply. "Should" being the key word here...
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by agstene
As I understand it, it needs to be a 3 or 4-digit SA flight number. 3 digits operated by SAA and 4 digits as a codeshare. So IMO if you book the LH flight (operated by) but booked as a 4 digit SA code the same should apply. "Should" being the key word here...
So this means, that it will earn only earn status bonus if the flight is a codeshare with SA. Codeshare flights that does not contain SA flight number will not earn.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:08 am

Is anyone familiar on how the elite bonus is applied in SA Voyager? For example, flight from JNB-HKG-YVR booked in SA in business class J . JNB-HKG segment is SA operated and HKG-YVR segment is AC operated. My question is specific to the AC segment which will earn based on distance. According to SA Voyager, the AC segment will earn 100% of flown miles + 25% class of service bonus, so that's around 7990 (using distance of 6392). Now, if I'm a Silver member, I get 25% more miles. Should I apply that to 7990 hence; I'll get an additional 1997 miles? Or should I not include the 25% class of service bonus in the calculation hence; I'll just get an additional of 1598 miles instead?

Hope anyone can give clarity on this. Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Is anyone familiar on how the elite bonus is applied in SA Voyager? For example, flight from JNB-HKG-YVR booked in SA in business class J . JNB-HKG segment is SA operated and HKG-YVR segment is AC operated. My question is specific to the AC segment which will earn based on distance. According to SA Voyager, the AC segment will earn 100% of flown miles + 25% class of service bonus, so that's around 7990 (using distance of 6392). Now, if I'm a Silver member, I get 25% more miles. Should I apply that to 7990 hence; I'll get an additional 1997 miles? Or should I not include the 25% class of service bonus in the calculation hence; I'll just get an additional of 1598 miles instead?

Hope anyone can give clarity on this. Thanks!
I can't speak authoritatively about the new system but in the past the cabin bonus and the status bonus were based on the base miles - so you would get 6392+1598+1598.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
I reached out to SAA for clarity on these questions.

Firstly in the example JNB-HKG-YVR the SA286 portion will be awarded based on spend, and the AC portion based on mileage traveled (with allowance for business class and any tier bonus) in accordance with AC rules (below). If two PNR's are used the calculation is straight forward as the revenue for the SAA portion is clear.

It is more complicated on one PNR as SAA revenue dept will need to proportion the spend between SA and AC and then allocate miles per the SA portion of revenue.

Secondly in general the following applies.

1.) On SAA operated flights (SAA metal): Miles awarded based on spend.
2.) On SA coded flights, operated by non star carriers: Mileage based with 25% for business class (on base distance) and tier bonus (again on base distance).
3.) On SA coded flights, operated by star carriers as per the distance and carrier rules.
4.) On other flights (non SA coded) it varies per carrier, for example:

Air Canada
100% Miles flown in Y B M U H Q V O E N class fares.
100% Miles flown in O class on inter-continental flights
100% in C D Z P plus 25% additional class bonus in J class fares
50% Miles flown in W G classes for flights within Canada. No Miles in S T L A K class fares. 50% Miles flown in W G T S L A K class fares, for all other flights including flights between Canada and the USA.

20% miles flown on Rouge fares.
No Miles eligible for accrual in X I for all flights.

TAP:
100% Miles flown in Y class fares
100% plus 50% additional class bonus Miles in C D Z class fares
50% Miles flown in B M H Q V W S L K P G E U discounted Economy Class fares. No Miles in J O T class fares.

Etihad
100% Miles flown in H B Y class fares.
175% Miles flown in C & J class fares.
130% Miles flown in W D Z class fares.
400% Miles flown in P class fares.
250% Miles flown in F & A class fares.
180% Miles flown in R class fares.
75% Miles flown in M & K class fares.
50% Miles flown in E U V L Q G class fares.

United
100% Miles flown on Y, B, M, E, U, H, class fares
125 Miles in J,C and D class fares.
100% Miles flown in Z and P class fares.
150% Miles flown in F and A class fares
75% Miles flown in Q, W and V class fares.
50% Miles flown in S, T, L, K, G and N class fares.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by SAWorldVoyager
I reached out to SAA for clarity on these questions.

Firstly in the example JNB-HKG-YVR the SA286 portion will be awarded based on spend, and the AC portion based on mileage traveled (with allowance for business class and any tier bonus) in accordance with AC rules (below). If two PNR's are used the calculation is straight forward as the revenue for the SAA portion is clear.

It is more complicated on one PNR as SAA revenue dept will need to proportion the spend between SA and AC and then allocate miles per the SA portion of revenue.

Secondly in general the following applies.

1.) On SAA operated flights (SAA metal): Miles awarded based on spend.
2.) On SA coded flights, operated by non star carriers: Mileage based with 25% for business class (on base distance) and tier bonus (again on base distance).
3.) On SA coded flights, operated by star carriers as per the distance and carrier rules.
4.) On other flights (non SA coded) it varies per carrier, for example:

Air Canada
100% Miles flown in Y B M U H Q V O E N class fares.
100% Miles flown in O class on inter-continental flights
100% in C D Z P plus 25% additional class bonus in J class fares
50% Miles flown in W G classes for flights within Canada. No Miles in S T L A K class fares. 50% Miles flown in W G T S L A K class fares, for all other flights including flights between Canada and the USA.

20% miles flown on Rouge fares.
No Miles eligible for accrual in X I for all flights.

TAP:
100% Miles flown in Y class fares
100% plus 50% additional class bonus Miles in C D Z class fares
50% Miles flown in B M H Q V W S L K P G E U discounted Economy Class fares. No Miles in J O T class fares.

Etihad
100% Miles flown in H B Y class fares.
175% Miles flown in C & J class fares.
130% Miles flown in W D Z class fares.
400% Miles flown in P class fares.
250% Miles flown in F & A class fares.
180% Miles flown in R class fares.
75% Miles flown in M & K class fares.
50% Miles flown in E U V L Q G class fares.

United
100% Miles flown on Y, B, M, E, U, H, class fares
125 Miles in J,C and D class fares.
100% Miles flown in Z and P class fares.
150% Miles flown in F and A class fares
75% Miles flown in Q, W and V class fares.
50% Miles flown in S, T, L, K, G and N class fares.
Thanks for the very detailed explanation. As I understand in the general rules you listed above, codeshare flights where a partner markets (AC for example booked in AC's website) and SAA operates are not eligible to earn Voyager miles. The SAA operated fight should also always carry an SAA code for it to earn.

By the way, would you have any idea on how SAA do their fare proration/proportioning? It seems this info is not shared to the general public.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Thanks for the very detailed explanation. As I understand in the general rules you listed above, codeshare flights where a partner markets (AC for example booked in AC's website) and SAA operates are not eligible to earn Voyager miles. The SAA operated fight should also always carry an SAA code for it to earn.

By the way, would you have any idea on how SAA do their fare proration/proportioning? It seems this info is not shared to the general public.
As I understand if you are a Voyager member flying on AC metal (marketed either as AC or SA) you will earn miles, but based on the formula (distance flown multiplied by class percentage PLUS tier bonus).

I dont even think they will know how to split the revenue between the two carriers and I would expect some errors to creep in here.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by SAWorldVoyager
As I understand if you are a Voyager member flying on AC metal (marketed either as AC or SA) you will earn miles, but based on the formula (distance flown multiplied by class percentage PLUS tier bonus).

I dont even think they will know how to split the revenue between the two carriers and I would expect some errors to creep in here.
But what about if its on an SA metal marketed as AC? Will this earn miles?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:21 pm

But what about if its on an SA metal marketed as AC? Will this earn miles?
As a voyager member? SA metal is always operated on a SA number, so normal revenue rules would apply.

As an aeroplan member? I am sure Aeroplan rules would apply, and I guess at mileage based rates?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:32 am

Hi Everyone

First post here and I would appreciate some help please.
just checking if I'm getting this right.

I was reading http://www.globalflight.net/voyager-...n-doesnt-work/ and I identified a few take outs

Redeeming miles with SAA looks almost impossible because very high miles requirements (understatement)

But according to Global Flight
"maybe a Voyager member would nevertheless prefer redeeming his Business Class award flight to Europe on Star partners Lufthansa or Swiss, where he can get it for 90,000 miles according to the Star table"

Ok...

So does it mean that I can take my Voyager Miles and call any *A partner and tell them I want an upgrade on their flights? e.g. JNB-FRA on LH?
Or book my flight on LH and, at the LH counter in FRA, decide to upgrade to Business using a 1/10 of the miles SAA would require?

Because if that's the case, I have to admit the earning rate on SAA is going to be a deal faster for me that it used to be, and the dead end of redeeming those miles with SAA itself can be overcome by using them with *A partners.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Mohammade Check
Hi Everyone

First post here and I would appreciate some help please.
just checking if I'm getting this right.

I was reading http://www.globalflight.net/voyager-...n-doesnt-work/ and I identified a few take outs

Redeeming miles with SAA looks almost impossible because very high miles requirements (understatement)

But according to Global Flight
"maybe a Voyager member would nevertheless prefer redeeming his Business Class award flight to Europe on Star partners Lufthansa or Swiss, where he can get it for 90,000 miles according to the Star table"

Ok...

So does it mean that I can take my Voyager Miles and call any *A partner and tell them I want an upgrade on their flights? e.g. JNB-FRA on LH?
Or book my flight on LH and, at the LH counter in FRA, decide to upgrade to Business using a 1/10 of the miles SAA would require?

Because if that's the case, I have to admit the earning rate on SAA is going to be a deal faster for me that it used to be, and the dead end of redeeming those miles with SAA itself can be overcome by using them with *A partners.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers
You call Voyager and tell them you want to book award seats on LX or LH. Same result, though.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: SAA Silver, United, BA
I have been using miles for business upgrades for the past 15 years but with the new voyager rules this now seems a thing of the past. Under the new miles earned I get more miles going to LHR on Turkish via IST than direct to LHR with SAA - this is a disincentive to fly SAA - good marketing!!!!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I do very little flying on SAA now, preferring to credit to BA because of SAA's lousy redemption rates for our annual holiday to Cape Town. I will have some miles expiring though so was looking at crediting a few domestic flights on upcoming trips to reach the 6000 miles to preserve those for another year.
We use a travel agent in the UK who issues tickets in £'s. Any experience on how the air transportation charges are converted to Rands to calculate the voyager miles earned? Is it exchange rate at booking, exchange rate on date of travel, a fixed exchange rate? Looking to credit just enough to preserve miles and then credit the rest to BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.