Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The George in Christchurch, New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2023, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
The George in Christchurch, New Zealand

Stayed at the The George in Christchurch, Zealand for 6 nights earlier this month. A really nice boutique hotel in the Central Business District, about a 20 minute walk from the main bus station, and easy walking distance to lots of shops and restaurants. It sits across the street from Hagley Park and is near the botanic gardens. It's a World of Hyatt category 4 hotel.

Upon checking in, the paperwork they handed me said that all World of Hyatt members received one category upgrade (if available), complimentary breakfast for two, complimentary wifi, early check-in (noon) and late check-out (2:00 pm) if available. Although the breakfast was said to be continental, it was a normal breakfast buffet with hot and cold items, which was quite good, and you had the choice to alternatively order from the menu.

Also, it appears that everybody is given a teddy bear the day you check-in. I got one, and then was inadvertently offered a second one.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. I'm not sure I'll ever get back to Christchurch (hopefully so), but if so, I definitely would stay at the The George again.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
We stayed here for two nights before Christmas on points. Good use given the cash prices. Very nice and small hotel with good location. Hotel was sold out on our dates so we did not get any upgrade. We also did not get any late checkout. Full breakfast was comped (i.e., buffet and one item from a menu) as well as tea/coffee. Coffee was actually horrible. There were two of us so we got two bears which will fit very nice with our collection of Conrad stuffed animals. I concur that staff was very nice and well trained. Parking is free but it gets busy so you might have to park at the back of the hotel. Also a short walk from a hotel is a very nice wine bar/restaurant called Cellar Door. I highly recommend their wine flights if you want to learn about different regions in NZ and you're into these kind of things. Overall, we'd definitely return.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA platinum , Hyatt Explorist, Marriott platinum , SPG Gold , Hilton Diamond
I have been looking to have couple of nights there and use category 1-4 certificate . But I don't see any single date available either on points or cash ? Not even a single date after may 1
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:00 pm

Might be because SLH and Hyatt are terminating their relationship sometime this year.
Old Jul 12, 2024, 10:59 pm

And now it is showing up as bookable on Hilton as "...a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.