Wiki Posts
Search

Pangkor Laut, Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2023, 7:33 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Pangkor Laut, Malaysia

Who has stayed at Pangkor Luat? It is a SLH resort on an island off the coast of Malaysia. How do you get there? If we rent a car, is there a parking lot on the shore where we can leave it while on the island?

There are wildly varying reviews on TripAdvisor. I always look at the lowest reviews and they certainly give me reason to not stay. But there are 2500 5* reviews versus the 50 1* reviews and they really make the property sound appealing. If you stayed, what are your thoughts?
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

The property gave me information about transfers.

The quotation of the pricing would be:
From KLIA to Marina Island Pangkor Jetty Complex at the cost of MYR 848.00 nett per car per way. 50% surcharge applies for transfers between 12am to 6am.
From Kuala Lumpur City Centre to Marina Island Pangkor Jetty Complex at the cost of MYR 742.00 nett per car per way.
From Marina Island Pangkor Jetty Complex to Malacca at the cost of MYR 1,166.00 nett per car per way.

Transfers are made Starex Vehicles that can accommodate 4 people and limited luggage.

Please be informed that there is an open carpark near our Pangkor Laut Resort Office at Marina Island Jetty.
There is security to secure the car park.

The cost of the parking fee would be around RM 30-35.00 per day.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

@GodAtum just posted an excellent report on his stay in a 3 bedroom property. The 3 and 4 bedroom properties are all inclusive and can be booked on the SLH website but not Hyatt.

Malaysia 2023

You can book all the standard rooms and suites on the Hyatt website. You can book the base room, the hill villa, on the Hyatt site for 15K points/night. However, if you use cash, you can get a beach villa for just 20% more. I checked prices on Hyatt and on SLH. They are near comparable unless you are willing to book a nonrefundable rate for a 21% discount on the SLH site. Personally, the savings isn't sufficient for me to gamble on my travel plans remaining firm.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 3:47 am
Original Poster

We spend two nights at Pangkor Laut. I used Hyatt points for our room; 15K for a week night and 17K for a weekend. I found the use of points to be good value.

Transportation to and from resort
YTL manages a number of the SLH hotels in SE Asia. Thus, all of my arrangements were made via them and not directly with the properties. I had to pay in advance for the car transfers. We flew into Kuala Lumpur from Kota Kinabalu. An agent was waiting past baggage claim with a paper with my name. He called our driver and walked us to the car. It was 3 1/2 hours to the jetty for the boat to the resort. We did not get any of the niceties that are common; no chilled water, cloths, or snacks. On the return to our hotel in Kuala Lumpur, we got bottles of chilled water. I expect that they were placed in the van by the folks at the welcome lounge. On the return, the van had wireless signal.

Once at the welcome lounge, we were given a beverage and chilled cloths. There was plenty of seating to wait for the boat to the island. The boat was very comfortable and had seating for 12. It was a 15 minute ride to the island. Our luggage was taken from the boat and sent directly to our room.

Resort
I contacted YTL in advance in concern about the hill villa. I was concerned about needing to hike up and down hills. SLH benefits for Hyatt include an upgrade on arrival if available. I was told that the resort was booked out so arrived expecting nothing. It was a pleasant surprise to be upgraded to a sea villa. There was a large welcome lounge where we were given fruit popsicles. We had already shown our passports and given our credit card at the arrival lounge so check in formalities were brief.

The resort has numerous places to eat. We were hungry, having been up since 5am and it now being 3pm. We chose to get some lunch before heading to our villa. Food quality was good. Choices:

Breakfast
Feast Village - wonderful extensive array of food including my new favorite breakfast dish, roti telur. This is an egg cooked inside roti and various curries and sauces offered on the side. Soooo good.

Lunch
Feast Village - buffet
Royal Bay Beach Club - pizzas, burgers, and the like
Chapman's Bar - highly recoomended; on opposite side of island by sandy beach
Jamu Bar - by spa village - chose this for our first day - had half a dozen small Asian dishes, perfect for us

Dinner
Uncle Lim's Kitchen, Chinese
Feast Village - buffet
Fisherman's Cove - seafood; closed both night we were inhouse for a private party

There is a van service to various points on the island; there is still walking but it gets you closer. The island certainly isn't for the handicapped. There are steps everywhere.

We then went to our sea villa. There is a line of over the water bungalows. Unlike the Maldives or French Polynesia, you can't swim from your villa. There is no way to get into the water. But there is a large deck with two loungers where you can enjoy the water view. The villa itself is dated and could use renovation. There was no comfortable seating though there was a desk and a chair. There was a day bed at the end of the bed with a Thai triangle pillow. The bathroom was large with a deep tub and a rainforest shower.

I was glad that we were moved out of the hill villas; I wouldn't have enjoyed the hike to and from. There were a lot of villas along the path from ours to the main lounge/restaurant area. We didn't see inside any so have no idea how they compared to what we had.

The island was beautiful; it was one of those places that the longer I was there the more I enjoyed it. I saw 2 pools, one in the main area and one by the spa. There were tennis courts. And there was that gorgeous beach by Chapman's bar.

This gives the history of the island. It's interesting to me that it was "discovered" at the end of WWII by a British officer who had hidden in the Malay jungle for 3 1/2 years. He only spent a few hours on the island and was there to be picked up by submarine. Chapman's Bar is named in his honor.

https://www.pangkorlautresort.com/PD...ngkor_Laut.pdf

There are 122 villas on the island. We chatted with several guests, all Malay other than one couple from Denmark. The lack of Caucasian tourists was surprising to me - and honestly was very pleasant. It felt more of a place, if that makes sense.

Lamborghini had 50 people on the island and 40 or so cars at the jetty.
ACC2008 likes this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 9, 2023 at 6:53 pm
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Outside of sea villas

Inside of sea villas

Views from two of the dining areas, the main buffet one and Chapman's Bay. Roti telur, egg in roti, was superb.

Flower arrangements in pots along walks
ACC2008 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Map of island. My iphone takes .heic which I am unable to upload to FT. My workaround was to combine two pictures which it would then save as .jpg
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 9, 2023 at 6:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.