Question about how miles are used with SkyTeam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about how miles are used with SkyTeam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by bonoman
So I've been digging around for a while and trying to figure this out - even after e-mailing NW customer service. I've been flying Delta every week now for 15 weeks from MSP to CVG and just about to hit Medallion. I understand most parts of the SkyTeam alliance, but trying to figure out upgrades (or lack of).

When I hit Silver Elite with Delta, does that mean I can get upgraded to first class if I fly on Northwest? I don't see anything stating that I do, so I'm assuming not, but does anyone have a link for this? I do see that I'll get preferred seating, but it doesn't implicitly say upgrades.

Also, does it make sense then to keep flying Delta after I turn Silver (for preferred seating and the upgrades) but log the miles against NW WP? I'd do this then until I got my 25k EQMs with Northwest and then be eligible for those perks assuming my first question's thinking is correct?

My first post on FT, love these forums, and I'm a long time forums and internet user, but newbie here (yeah, I hate newbs too). I did some searching and googling and other DD, but couldn't find an obvious answer to these questions so TIA to anyone for their help.
Welcome. Delta and Northwest don't have upgrade benefits for each others' elites. (NW and CO do, but that's a rarity among alliance members). Your best bet would probably be to continue to keep all of your miles in your Delta Skymiles account. It's probably a lot more beneficial for you to get Gold Medallian on Delta than to have Silver on DL and Silver on NW.

Almost always the One Program Per Alliance rule holds true (at least for newbies lol)
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
That's what I expected. I wouldn't mind staying on Delta, but since I live in MSP and they only fly mainly CRJ's out of there, its not much of a benefit to go Gold since I can't upgrade. I think I see an MD-88 in there every now and then, but that's it. Its a huge NW hub, so I'd stand a much greater chance of an upgrade on one of their flights. I'm just on a gig right now in CVG so I had a ton of flights there and the timing on the Delta ones were just right. Once this is done, I'll be taking NW everyplace.

I'm going to hold on one program, just was wondering the best way to do the conversion and the best way to gain from it before I go to WorldPerks. Thanks much for your answer.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by bonoman
That's what I expected. I wouldn't mind staying on Delta, but since I live in MSP and they only fly mainly CRJ's out of there, its not much of a benefit to go Gold since I can't upgrade. I think I see an MD-88 in there every now and then, but that's it. Its a huge NW hub, so I'd stand a much greater chance of an upgrade on one of their flights. I'm just on a gig right now in CVG so I had a ton of flights there and the timing on the Delta ones were just right. Once this is done, I'll be taking NW everyplace.

I'm going to hold on one program, just was wondering the best way to do the conversion and the best way to gain from it before I go to WorldPerks. Thanks much for your answer.
In that case, it may actually make sense for you to switch to NWA. after you meet 25000. If you're going to be flying NW all the time in the future, it's better for you to have your status on NW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.