SkyTeam Euro Pass

Old Jan 22, 04, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Location: Napa, California - DL demoted to xx, AF+ Rouge, FB Platinum
Programs: Air France, Delta
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flytoeat:
Is this available when using an award ticket for the overseas flights?</font>
I believe so.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">-Skyteam Euro Pass is sold outside Europe, in conjonction with a Round Trip
ticket to Europe on any intercontinental flgiht operated by a SkyTeam
carrier (AF/AM/AZ/DL/KE/OK)</font>
Old Jan 23, 04, 8:24 pm

The Skyteam website information about the Europass is very skimpy (no prices, for instance), but it does say that the pass may not be used in conjunction with a free ticket, specifically mentioning award tickets.
I also finally got a Delta agent (this is handled through their round-the-world desk) to tell me that the prices mentioned in an earlier posting here are per segment. If you have to change planes, it's more than one segment, so the $205 price for an itinerary over 2000 miles doesn't mean you can continuing flying and not pay any more. Moscow-Lisbon is only 2424 miles though. Foolish me to think that there was an opportunity for nice mileage runs! The pass would still be good for flying back and forth in Europe, especially when using several airlines. It's clearly a misnomer to call it a pass; in fact it is a series of single tickets sold cheaply in conjunction with an international ticket.

[This message has been edited by Track (edited Jan 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 23, 04, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Track:
I also finally got a Delta agent (this is handled through their round-the-world desk) to tell me that the prices mentioned in an earlier posting here are per segment. If you have to change planes, it's more than one segment, so the $205 price for an itinerary over 2000 miles doesn't mean you can continuing flying and not pay any more. Moscow-Lisbon is only 2424 miles though. Foolish me to think that there was an opportunity for nice mileage runs! The pass would still be good for flying back and forth in Europe, especially when using several airlines. It's clearly a misnomer to call it a pass; in fact it is a series of single tickets sold cheaply in conjunction with an international ticket.

[This message has been edited by Track (edited Jan 23, 2004).]
</font>
I'm not sure what the problem is? It clearly explains it is the price per segment. Again the price per segment depends on the distance.

In my earlier example for Copenhagen- Frankfurt which has to go via Paris, the price would be CPH-CDG (624miles) $120plus CDG-FRA (278miles) $90 which is $210 (+airport taxes). which is still cheaper than LH or SAS for $550.

[This message has been edited by GrapeDane (edited Jan 24, 2004).]
Old Jan 24, 04, 12:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GrapeDane:
I'm not sure what the problem is? I clearly tell it is the price per segment. Again the price per segment depend on the distance.

</font>
Yes, Grape, this is all logical and all, I just focussed on the work "pass" and overlooked your mentioning the price was per coupon. A pass to me is like the Eurailpass or a NY subway pass, with a price set according to time and geographical scope and unlimited travel within those limits. I will probably still take advantage of the Skymiles offer. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old Jan 24, 04, 12:26 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Track:
Yes, Grape, this is all logical and all, I just focussed on the work "pass" and overlooked your mentioning the price was per coupon. A pass to me is like the Eurailpass or a NY subway pass, with a price set according to time and geographical scope and unlimited travel within those limits. I will probably still take advantage of the Skymiles offer. Thanks for mentioning it.</font>
In the past I have seen all kinds of passes. I remeber when the other US airlines (other than Pan Am and TWA) started flying to Europe, they offered the Europeans all kinds of passes to lure the passengers to their side. I have seen 30 days passes like the EuroRail/InterRail train passes or $10 per segment tickets.

European airlines has been tighter in their promotion, and it has more been offers like extra segments for little money or stop-over vacations.

I think that we can in the future expect to see more offers like these from the different alliances.
For me it is good news, since I always dreaded paying some obscene amount for inter European flights.
It is nice that you can fly open jaw to Europe (in to one city and out of another), but how about the trip between the cities. So this is good news.

Even though the price is not as good as it it first looked like to you, I still think it can be a good deal. Compare to the regulare cost of the tickets.