Reload this Page >

Aeroflot in Skyteam on April 14, 2006

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroflot in Skyteam on April 14, 2006

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2003, 8:50 am

Wasn't there a thread somewhere on FT or written in the Inside Flyer mag a couple months back that some guy had a pretty successful time of bribing the GA for business class upgrades?

I wonder if this means that I will be able to slip a C-note to the Delta GAs soon for an upgrade
Old Nov 4, 2003, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by woody125:
Maybe and I hope so but all the Russian travel and news sources say that a new airport in Moscow (SVO3) is a must before any of this can be seriously considered. SVO3 has been bogged down for years with infighting, corruption and a host of other unmentionables that have kept it from moving forward. </font>
I was more or less under the impression that SVO3 was simply going to be another facility located on the same giant airfield that SVO1 and SVO2 are on.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetcity405:
Also doesnt aeroflop have a iffy safety record?</font>
The big 'flot, that flies internationally, has to meet international standards, and is substantially less scary than than flying domestically in the FSU used to be. IME, it's really a matter of what you are used to before you get on a YAK...i.e., the pilots land in such a way as to make you think you are avoiding sniper fire.

*shrugs*

O/H

Old Nov 4, 2003, 6:38 pm

I'm always amazed when I hear SU bashing that it appears to come from from people that haven't flown SU international since the fall of the Soviet Union. Their flight operations are above average and my only problem with them is customer service on the ground is about the same as all Russian customer service (which isn't good).

In the late 80's 1 in every 4 commercial flights in the world was on Aeroflot and I'd bet most of the worlds crashes and deaths. When the Soviet Union broke up Aeroflot broke up into something like 380 commercial airlines many of them calling themselves Aeroflot. Sometimes a Pilot would find a plane that would start abandoned on the airport and another new Aeroflot was born (until the fuel bill was due) and then another Aeroflot dissapeared.

This is not the Aeroflot International Airline we are discussing.

Has anyone who has flown SU recently got a bad report to give or does anyone know of some negative media reports they can share with us, otherwise I think all the SU bashing is mis-informed.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Aeroflot and SkyTeam

Knowing how many fans of Aeroflot there are on this board, I thought you'd want to know that an agreement of some sort is, again, in the works...

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...01/23/047.html
Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:41 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by woody125:
Knowing how many fans of Aeroflot there are on this board, I thought you'd want to know that an agreement of some sort is, again, in the works...
</font>
Oh yes!, and the reason(s) can be found Here

[This message has been edited by Flying_Duck (edited Jan 22, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Will Aeroflot be getting BE seating???

Hope there are rosary beads in the BE amenity kit!

A PBS special from some years ago actually showed an Aeroflot Pilot drinking vodka before a flight and claiming it helped him fly better.. whoa!
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:

A PBS special from some years ago actually showed an Aeroflot Pilot drinking vodka before a flight and claiming it helped him fly better.. whoa!
</font>
A while back, a British TV documentary showed British Airways crews inc. flight crew drinking late the night before an early flight. Given the more recent arrests of flight crew personnel in the EU and US it seems that Aeroflot might not have exclusive rights to that particular problem.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:

</font>
Heckler, want to gamble on buying a DL ticket without researching the operating carrier? Aeroflot, Air India, Korean Air... wow, DL picks all the winners.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Nice thing about SV is their very liberal upgrade policies. $100-$200 in cash handed to the lead FA upon entering the a/c has been known to secure a new seat in F.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I know this sounds absolutely impossible, but about three or four years ago there was a big story in the Israeli papers when TLV flight control had to waive off a drunken Aeroflot pilot -- because he was coming in for a landing on the highway next to the airport!

(Don't ask me what the co-pilot was doing at the time, I have no idea.)

Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CoMooter:
Nice thing about SV is their very liberal upgrade policies. $100-$200 in cash handed to the lead FA upon entering the a/c has been known to secure a new seat in F. </font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
Heckler, want to gamble on buying a DL ticket without researching the operating carrier? Aeroflot, Air India, Korean Air... wow, DL picks all the winners. </font>

This thread is funnier than SNL! Thanks to all....I needed a laugh after the week I’ve had.....

Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:08 pm

anyone flown Aeroflot? I have been to 4 of their 7 CTO's in the US but never flown them...what are they like?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetcity405:
anyone flown Aeroflot?</font>
Yep. November 17, 2001. Simferopol (SIP) - Moscow (SVO). Flt #200 on a TU-134. I was the only Westerner on the flight. An experience I will NEVER forget. Was about a 3 hour flight with a meal(?) included. My seat was broken in such a way that eating said meal was impossible. The non-English speaking FA noticed my discomfort and relocated me to a better seat (was not expecting anything resembling service, so this was unexpected). I can no longer recall anything about that meal, other than at the time I thought it might be my last one, so I was d*** well gonna have it!

We left SIP 2 hours late due to a snow storm in Moscow, so arrived too late to make my already tight connection to TXL on LH. (The bus ride from domestic to international at SVO is at least a 10-mile bus ride from one side of the airport to the other.) Of course, I could not get another flight that night, so was stranded overnight in Moscow without a Visa of any kind. I followed an SU rep to no less than 5 different stations where various bureaucrats fondled my passport and was sent (after a very long wait) to an off-airport transit hotel at the expense of SU. Another experience I will never forget, but that's for another thread on another day.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I have had many memorable experiences on Aeroflot. It's been a few years now, but my goodness, what memories!

Most have been recounted in archived threads. Wandering on the Domodedevo tarmac; the "VIP" lounge at Yekaterinburg/ Sverdlovsk; the city ticket offices in Moscow (and the friendly girls at the CTO in East Berlin).

Maybe someday I will travel their business class to Russia, but my memory will have to worsen considerably before that day.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
Heckler, want to gamble on buying a DL ticket without researching the operating carrier? Aeroflot, Air India, Korean Air... wow, DL picks all the winners. </font>
Let's not forget SwissAir and Sabena. (SwissAir had the GVA-BKY* route while Sabena flew BRU-BKY*).

Alitalia seems very close to adding FCO-BKY* to its schedule.

(GVA = Geneva. BRU = Brussels. FCO = Rome. BKY = Bankruptcy)

[This message has been edited by Dovster (edited Jan 24, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.