Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

china eastern airlines will join in ST

china eastern airlines will join in ST

Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: M&M
FM, or Shanghai Airlines is a "proud" member of *A.
It is NOT a member of ST.

Originally Posted by MUFFP
MU likes to join in ST.
In this week,MU will declare it.

Then in china,there are CZ/MU/FM in ST.
GOOD NEWS!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Interesting article .... but the last sentence had me rolling on the floor laughing .

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...nt_9694742.htm

Meanwhile, speculation is rife on which of the world's three airline alliances will win China Eastern's favor.

Currently the Shanghai-based carrier is the last of the nation's three major airlines without membership in any alliance.

Despite wavering for several years, China Eastern is now ready to make its final choice at the end of April, said Liu.

"We will tell you which airline alliance we will enter by the end of April," Liu told the press on Tuesday.

After an impressive tie-up with its former local rival Shanghai Airlines, China Eastern Airlines has made joining one of the three international airline networks - Star Alliance, Sky Team, or Oneworld - a priority.
.....Some analysts expected Liu to join the Sky Team, but Gao said it is better to choose another alliance due to competing relations between China Southern and China Eastern.

"Oneworld will be China Eastern's final choice, although it is smaller in size than the other two.

But it also has stellar members like American Airlines, British Airways, Canadian Airlines and Cathay Pacific," Gao noted.

Has Mr Gao perhaps been asleep for the last 9 years ?
factual error aside, it is worth noting how comrade chairman Liu keeps pushing decision time ahead every time, first beginning april, now end april... This suggests a certain "disagreement" between him and China's airlines bosses at CAAC on the path to follow. Probably each one of the contenders is lining up and shoring its political godfathers, and the compensation/face saving gesture for the loser is also being discussed.
My 2-fen guess is MU/FM will join OW and comrade chairman will be promoted to another prestigious post with an appropriate compensation.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by flytofly
FM, or Shanghai Airlines is a "proud" member of *A.
It is NOT a member of ST.
I think the OP meant in the event MU becomes a member of ST, FM will likely follow.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
For some reason, the PRC government doesn't like oneworld, they've blocked the website on the mainland.

I don't find any part of it "offensive" though?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
For some reason, the PRC government doesn't like oneworld, they've blocked the website on the mainland.

I don't find any part of it "offensive" though?
You are overestimating the sophistication of PRC webs filtering. The problem is that the term "One world" has been used as part of a human rights organization's campaign and also by a certain well known banned Chinese religious group. So the URL is blocked automatically due to its name, without anyone analysing the site content.

If a PRC carrier ever did join Oneworld then an objection from that airline would soon see the website unblocked.

Nothing to do with disliking Oneworld the alliance.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Sounds like China Eastern have confirmed they plan to join SkyTeam by mid-2011 - http://www.centreforaviation.com/new...-skyteam/page1

Interestingly, "China Eastern's accession into SkyTeam next year will also put further distance between it and Singapore Airlines, which failed in its bid for the airline in early 2008, as a result of effective interference in the bidding process by Air China. China Eastern, which is seeking an investment partner, is likely to be courting Air France-KLM and/or Delta, which missed out in its pursuit of Japan Airlines in Feb-2010 to the oneworld alliance."
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: AZ CFP, OK Plat, LH FTL, SPG Plat, HH Dia, MR Gold, Carlson Gold, BW Dia, PC Plat AMB, Accor Plat
From the horse's mouth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.