Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIXT New York

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: National Executive, UA MileagePlus, BA Executive Club, EI AerClub
Booked a PFAR for a spring break trip - I'll post a trip report here.

Last edited by jbk1379; Feb 19, 2021 at 4:59 pm
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by NBNY424
Ive used SIXT a buncha times, always competitive rates and seem to have a much sleeker/newer fleet. When I used in airport I was disappointed with customer service (though I was given sweet low mileage Volvos both times) but the downtown NYC location has on both locations I used it, been fantastic. Super busy so a very long wait, yes, but not bec of the staff, just bec of demand.

I was upgraded from a premium small car to a nice new s60 the first time, and second go round they upgraded me to an X1 from a regular SUV rental. I always check out their rates when Im renting now in NYC area, shame its such an inconvenient city location.
I'm renting on a weekday around noon, do you think that will be super busy or not?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jbk1379
I'm renting on a weekday around noon, do you think that will be super busy or not?
NBNY424 just re-checking in here - do you think a weekday noon rental will be busy or not? Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:11 pm

sorry, total guess. no idea. both times i rented from downtown NY location, the lines were very long. but it was summertime weekends both times. dont know much more.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:59 pm

NBNY424 just re-checking in here - do you think a weekday noon rental will be busy or not? Thanks!
So, I had to cancel my reservation because I realized there was no easy way to get there for me. So no Sixt reports from me. Sorry!
I was wrong. There is a way. But, because of inclement weather, I rebooked the trip to the next week. Booked an LFAR (Volvo XC60 or similar) so I hope I get the Volvo!

Originally Posted by NBNY424
sorry, total guess. no idea. both times i rented from downtown NY location, the lines were very long. but it was summertime weekends both times. dont know much more.
Alrighty, thanks!

Last edited by jbk1379; Mar 10, 2021 at 8:29 am
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:31 am

So, I had to cancel my reservation because I realized there was no easy way to get there for me. So no Sixt reports from me. Sorry!
I was wrong. There is a way. But, because of inclement weather, I rebooked the trip to the next week. Booked an LFAR (Volvo XC60 or similar) so I hope I get the Volvo!

Alrighty, thanks!
Classic unpredictable weather strikes again... I rebooked to the original week, but was 100% not paying the full LFAR rate (it went way up), so I got a discounted rate on an XCAR. Honestly still hoping I get a Volvo (ideally a V90), but I'd also be fine with the Cadillac CT6.

So, expect a ride report next week!

Also, NBNY424 , the Volvo's they have given you (assuming they are sedans/wagons), were they AWD? I booked the XCAR with AWD checked, so I think I'll get an AWD car, but I'm just wondering if you got AWD when you got the volvos you mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by jbk1379; Mar 10, 2021 at 8:38 am
Old Aug 27, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Thinking of doing a rental with Sixt at JFK for Labor Day Weekend. Does anyone have experience with what they have to offer?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Thinking of doing a rental with Sixt at JFK for Labor Day Weekend. Does anyone have experience with what they have to offer?
So I ended up doing a rental at the Downtown NYC location during the Holiday weekend. It was a long line thanks to the floods but I remained patient as I imagine the staff was running around with their hair on fire. I ended up getting a Toyota Camry for 2 days. Slightly disappointed they charged a higher rate to drop it off at JFK as Avis and Hertz tend to let you do it free of charge. Other than that, smooth rental and I would try them again on one of their BMW's or Mercedes here in PHX.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:31 am

Anyone have any recent experience renting from JFK location? I have a flight into JFK coming up and currently have a reservation with National. The national rental with be from the Executive Aisle. Sixt rate for Premium Sedan (BMW 2 Series or Similar) is about the same. Would love to get a BMW or Merc through Sixt but have never rented from them before and don't want to get stuck with something less than desirable for the rate. Otherwise, I will just take my chances with the aisle at National and hope there is a good selection
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by gormco02
Anyone have any recent experience renting from JFK location? I have a flight into JFK coming up and currently have a reservation with National. The national rental with be from the Executive Aisle. Sixt rate for Premium Sedan (BMW 2 Series or Similar) is about the same. Would love to get a BMW or Merc through Sixt but have never rented from them before and don't want to get stuck with something less than desirable for the rate. Otherwise, I will just take my chances with the aisle at National and hope there is a good selection
With Sixt, on a PCAR reservation, at JFK, you're likely either getting an A-Class or an S60/V60 (which is a one-class upgrade)
I'd bet that if you wanted to, you could probably get yourself into a S90/V60CC/V90 (XCAR), simply because Sixt has so many volvos in the NYC area.
Hope this helps!
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:00 pm

picked up today. Got downgraded from an XCAR to an LCAR, but got a nice V60. 32k miles, but drives and feels fine.

Anyway, the cars I saw were:Jetta
Corolla
Impreza
Altima
voyager
durango
Q50
GLC
new Suburban 4WD Z71
X7
bronco sport
tundra
4runner
a lot of 5 series
2 series 4-door
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and Drwaz99 like this.

Last edited by jbk1379; Mar 14, 2022 at 5:07 pm
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
picked up today. Got downgraded from an XCAR to an LCAR, but got a nice V60. 32k miles, but drives and feels fine.

Anyway, the cars I saw were:Jetta
Corolla
Impreza
Altima
voyager
durango
Q50
GLC
new Suburban 4WD Z71
X7
bronco sport
tundra
4runner
a lot of 5 series
2 series 4-door
Out of curiosity, why were you downgraded if there were a lot of 5 Series? Isn't XCAR the 5 series?
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Out of curiosity, why were you downgraded if there were a lot of 5 Series? Isn't XCAR the 5 series?
Yes, it is, however, the lines were really long, so by the time I actually picked up, all the 5 series were gone
Also, I’d rather have a Volvo (even if it is a V60) over a 5 Series)
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and Drwaz99 like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:45 pm

Another visit to lower Manhattan. Reserved a BMW 3 Series or similar, and thats exactly what I got. I think it was a 2021 model, with 17k miles and WA license plate. Some dings in the paint but drives so perfectly, was well worth it. Seemed like there were a ton of that model BMW on site.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:16 am

This is really late, but I made a rental for a 3-series or similar back in February at the LGA location and wanted to give my report on it. Forgot initially, but booked a reservation for the Battery Park location, and saw a lack of info for the LGA and NY locations in general.

The experience: Firstly, curiously, the lot is a bit away from LGA. I imagine there's a shuttle, though I took a bus there and didn't fly through LGA. The lot is pretty small, and there was only 1 desk being manned when I went. The service was... slow. Even despite pre-paying the booking, it felt like we had to go through all the steps of the rental again. I also tried asking to see if they had xDrives since I'd be driving to MA through some snow, but they said they didn't have any in the system, even though I was staring at 2 in the lot. They initially tried putting me in a 330i M-Sport RWD, which would've been fantastic... if it didn't have summer tires on a snowy 15 F day where I was driving to and 1 tire that was 10 PSI down with obvious curb rashes on one tire. Eventually ended up in a grey xDrive 330i with Colorado plates that was grey. Either way, was happier with it and it had 5300 miles when I picked it up, though the most exciting bit was tires with fat sidewalls for the NYC winter potholes.

Issue was that sorting all that out took 1 hour, though I'm happy they did do it all in the end, I guess.

I saw some interesting vehicles, and this is what I saw in general on the lot:
  • White 330i M-Sport Tan Interior on performance summer tires (mentioned above) - Florida Plates
  • 2 228i BMW XDrives
  • 1 White 430i Coupe XDrive (considered a 'premium' upgrade when I asked out of curiousity +$100 for 1 day... why? I'm not sure, but really Sixt?)
  • 1 Area 51 grey Bronco Sport, shockingly IIRC a Badlands trim
  • 1 Subaru Outback
  • 2 Volvo S60's. T5, T6. T5 had a tan interior IIRC. It looked pretty bad IMO.
  • Camrys, Nissan Rogue, some vans
That was about all I remember. Struck me as very strange to see a Bronco Sport on the lot, especially in an actual kind of off-road trim. Then again, I also saw a 4Runner at the IAH Hertz lot in a Gold member small SUV section.

Return was smooth, no issues. I'll say the 3 was surprisingly more comfortable than I expected over potholes.

Will report on my Battery Park experience. Hopefully it's a little smoother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.