Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Compromise on repair but banned from Sixt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Here's an odd one. I've used Sixt with great success in Europe over the years, definitely had been my favorite rental car company. This past July (Genoble office) things changed. They dinged me $1k for damage that I *think* was on the car when I picked it up (dings in 4 corners) but for the first-time ever, I didn't take photos!!! The reason it's a "think" is that I clearly saw and mentioned black marks, but did not notice dents near those marks, and there were certainly small dents in the photo they sent post-rental. It's possible I missed them. But the CC will pay for that part, and that's not what I'm writing about. Just background context.

What I know I *did* do to the car was burn out the clutch. Yes, *I* did it, but with some help from the nav system, which put me down a super-narrow one-lane super-steep street that had no exit. Backing out of it was... let's just say I was surprised it didn't have to be helicoptered out! The clutch worked the rest of the trip, but I can believe it was the worse for wear. They sent me a bill for $750. I countered at $500, explaining that I didn't feel I was completely at fault. Today they replied saying I have two choices. Pay the full $750 and everything's normal, or pay $500 and be banned from ever renting again from Sixt.

That's just plain weird. Why offer something of value to a customer you're never going to do business with again? I felt I offered a reasonable compromise that would keep everybody kinda sorta happy, at least still keep a future revenue stream intact. Anyone else ever have something like this happen? I know many would say settle for the $500 and be thankful; many other rental companies to do biz with. For some reason that doesn't sit right with me. Thanks-
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Update: Dealing with SIXT has been something of a nightmare. I got my credit card company involved for the insurance waiver coverage, but SIXT has been ignoring their "release letter" requests, three of them sent since 12/13/17. SIXT has turned the account over to a US collections company, RMS, which has been harassing my daughter (she had the emergency contact number on my rental form) pretending to be various people, most lately a Doctor. Very odd. I'm actually looking forward to RMS finally figuring out how to contact me directly; there's nothing they can tell me that could cause any grief on my part! Apparently they don't know about Google.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. When the account was turned over to RMS, the total amount for all damages suddenly increased to $3000, by the way. My cc insurance representative says I only owe for the $25 appraisal fee; all else will (eventually?) be covered.

Does anyone have a "good" contact email for SIXT that might help get this resolved? Thanks-
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
SixtCustomerServices used to be active on this forum, but it doesn't seem like they are anymore. It's unfortunate as they were usually very helpful in situations like this.

Worst case, there's always [email protected]...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
SixtCustomerServices used to be active on this forum, but it doesn't seem like they are anymore. It's unfortunate as they were usually very helpful in situations like this.

Worst case, there's always [email protected]...
Thanks. I did send an email to someone at Sixt in France who'd previously corresponded with me without using a form letter. That was over a week ago, still no response. At the same time, no further attempts to get ahold of me from the agency in the US that Sixt apparently sold the claim to. What idiots they are (the US company, RSM or whatever). Trying to get ahold of me by pretending to be other people, using the emergency contact info I provided. All they have to do is google my name (as you can see, it's not going to come up with multiple options!) and call me at my business. I'd take the call, no problem! Sometimes you really gotta wonder...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Thanks. I did send an email to someone at Sixt in France who'd previously corresponded with me without using a form letter. That was over a week ago, still no response. At the same time, no further attempts to get ahold of me from the agency in the US that Sixt apparently sold the claim to. What idiots they are (the US company, RSM or whatever). Trying to get ahold of me by pretending to be other people, using the emergency contact info I provided. All they have to do is google my name (as you can see, it's not going to come up with multiple options!) and call me at my business. I'd take the call, no problem! Sometimes you really gotta wonder...
Yeah, definitely sounds like shady tactics from the collections agency, although it seems common for those types of agencies so I wonder if the ones that work for National, Hertz, Avis, etc. would be any better. That said, at least it's easier to escalate within Customer Service at the other rental companies to avoid having to deal with these agencies to begin with.

That's the frustrating part -- I'm actually trying to get an issue resolved as well (for a rental I have at the moment), and Customer Service has been useless. Trying a couple of alternate avenues myself, so if I find another method that is more effective, I'll be sure to post back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.