Wiki Posts
Search

My SIXT horror story

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down My SIXT horror story

This is a true car rental horror story!

i rented a BMW 328i from sixt in Munich in 2010. I rented online at sixt.com. I used my credit card and availed of its rental car coverage feature and declined the CDW coverage online. The rental came to about €380. When I showed up in Munich to collect the car, I was given a form in German to fill out. I couldn't understand it of course, but the bottom had a €380 line item, so I thought I was simply signing for the rental. The unhelpful customer service rep at munich airport assured me it was the standard rental agreement and I should just sign it.

It turned out sixt had made a mistake on the order and booked me for CDW insurance coverage, which I had already declined online because I was covered by my credit card. The amount came to roughly the same €380 as the rental. When I got back to America, I got a shock when my credit card bill arrived and there was a double charge on it. I called sixt and they refused to reverse it, even after I sent them a copy of my emailed receipt showing I had declined the CDW insurance.

i then called American Express and disputed the charge. They gave me my money back. I considered the matter closed.

I rented from sixt again on two more occasions in Europe with no issues.

Then in 2013, something amazing happened. I rented from sixt in Sweden, again booking through sixt.com. I prepaid to avail of a lower rate. They accepted my credit card and gave me a reservation confirmation. Then I flew to Sweden and got off the airplane only to find the rep at the counter refused to rent me the car, stating I was "blocked"

even worse, they refused to refund my money, telling me they were applying the funds to my "outstanding balance"

As of this point, I still have not received my money back on the Sweden rental, and I am still on their blacklist because I refused to pay for their mistake.

Do not rent from sixt, at least in Europe. Choose Avis or hertz, they have never let me down.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Update: Sixt USA has told me I need to contact SIXT Sweden about my refund. Sixt Sweden told me they couldn't process my refund.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Your credit card should refund you for services not rendered.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Blue, Sixt Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Codeguy
even worse, they refused to refund my money, telling me they were applying the funds to my "outstanding balance"

As of this point, I still have not received my money back on the Sweden rental, and I am still on their blacklist because I refused to pay for their mistake.
That's weird. I suggest you get in contact with the Sixt guys on the forum here, they're very helpful and are often able to reach a better resolution for everyone. ^

Do not rent from sixt, at least in Europe. Choose Avis or hertz, they have never let me down.
Why do people always write this on a complaint? What purpose does it serve? Clearly Sixt isn't in the habit of blacklisting all their customers, they'd go bust if they did.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:19 am
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Hi Codeguy,

Thanks for your post. I am sorry to hear of your negative experiences after using Sixt in Europe.

Please could you send me a private message with the reservation numbers in question and I will endeavour to assist you with this as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

Gary Caudwell.

i rented a BMW 328i from sixt in Munich in 2010. I rented online at sixt.com. I used my credit card and availed of its rental car coverage feature and declined the CDW coverage online. The rental came to about €380. When I showed up in Munich to collect the car, I was given a form in German to fill out. I couldn't understand it of course, but the bottom had a €380 line item, so I thought I was simply signing for the rental. The unhelpful customer service rep at munich airport assured me it was the standard rental agreement and I should just sign it.

It turned out sixt had made a mistake on the order and booked me for CDW insurance coverage, which I had already declined online because I was covered by my credit card. The amount came to roughly the same €380 as the rental. When I got back to America, I got a shock when my credit card bill arrived and there was a double charge on it. I called sixt and they refused to reverse it, even after I sent them a copy of my emailed receipt showing I had declined the CDW insurance.

i then called American Express and disputed the charge. They gave me my money back. I considered the matter closed.

I rented from sixt again on two more occasions in Europe with no issues.

Then in 2013, something amazing happened. I rented from sixt in Sweden, again booking through sixt.com. I prepaid to avail of a lower rate. They accepted my credit card and gave me a reservation confirmation. Then I flew to Sweden and got off the airplane only to find the rep at the counter refused to rent me the car, stating I was "blocked"

Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SixtCustomerServices
Hi Codeguy,

Thanks for your post. I am sorry to hear of your negative experiences after using Sixt in Europe.

Please could you send me a private message with the reservation numbers in question and I will endeavour to assist you with this as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

Gary Caudwell.
Thanks Gary, I just sent u a PM.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Here is my latest email from sixt on this topic. It basically says they are refusing to refund me for my trip to Sweden because they hold all funds from a blocked customer. Again, I don't owe them the money that they claim I owe them. They charged me 380 euro for insurance I didn't order, and I refused to pay.
.Dear Customer

Thank you for your e-mail.
Before you can be reimbursed for any rental you must be unblocked first and to be unblocked you have to make a payment for that past rental.

Best regards

Adler Julien
Customer Service Department

Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Here is my latest email from sixt on this topic. It basically says they are refusing to refund me for my trip to Sweden because they hold all funds from a blocked customer. Again, I don't owe them the money that they claim I owe them. They charged me 380 euro for insurance I didn't order, and I refused to pay.
.Dear Customer

Thank you for your e-mail.
Before you can be reimbursed for any rental you must be unblocked first and to be unblocked you have to make a payment for that past rental.

Best regards

Adler Julien
Customer Service Department

Won't you get that back simply by disputing with the CC issuer? I would assume that was a slam dunk.

I'd be more pissed off about the loss incurred by having to pay a walk-up rate elsewhere. I'd be half inclined to go after Sixt for that, although being realistic..........
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by User Name
Won't you get that back simply by disputing with the CC issuer? I would assume that was a slam dunk.

I'd be more pissed off about the loss incurred by having to pay a walk-up rate elsewhere. I'd be half inclined to go after Sixt for that, although being realistic..........
Well here's the problem with prepaying. My credit card issuer said since I prepaid, the date I paid is the date that counts, and since I didn't dispute it until my next statement arrived in the mail and didn't have my promised refund, my credit card company told me it was too late to dispute.....
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Well, despite repeated promises from sixt in Fort Lauderdale, and sixt Sweden, sixt Germany has not refunded my money, nor have they reviewed my "banned" status......another two weeks has elapsed.....
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

I would also like to point out that Gary Caudwell from sixt customer service posted in this forum that if I sent him a private message, he would take care of this. I sent him a private message and I have not heard from him since......
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:13 am
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Hi Codeguy,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting a response to your case, due to the complexity of the issues that needed resolving. Whilst this is no excuse, I am sincerely sorry for this.

Your case has now been resolved, the details of which I will send to you in a private message to protect confidentiality.

Best regards,

Gary Caudwell.

I would also like to point out that Gary Caudwell from sixt customer service posted in this forum that if I sent him a private message, he would take care of this. I sent him a private message and I have not heard from him since......
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:28 am

why would anyone think just getting the money back from the credit card company solves the issue? I don't understand this.
obviously credit card company withdraws the money from sixt and sixt blocks you then.
isn't that obvious to happen?

what is still strange is to sign a document at Munic Airport. was there computer system down? otherwise sixt would not use paper forms.

other thing I don't understand: BMW started producing the 328i in 2012
a 328i in 2010 did not exist.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended

@sixtisbest
Why not? What he did had unexpected??? consequences but was eventually faster than arguing with Sixt.

Obviously Sixt was not capable to
a. to start with: a contract in english in Munich

b. let the customer now that he is blocked, while asking to pay the outstanding balance

c. cxl. the reservation he made. Yes, as an employee when checking reservations / doing fleet planning you can see that there is an issue

d. direct the customer to the correct phone number / contact to solve the issue about being blocked

Unblocking a blocked customer can be done quite quickly and quietly.

I think I know what the Munich agent did and that happened quite often in the past and let to some consequences for those involved...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.