FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My SIXT horror story
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:19 am
SixtCustomerServices
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Hi Codeguy,

Thanks for your post. I am sorry to hear of your negative experiences after using Sixt in Europe.

Please could you send me a private message with the reservation numbers in question and I will endeavour to assist you with this as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

Gary Caudwell.

Originally Posted by Codeguy
This is a true car rental horror story!

i rented a BMW 328i from sixt in Munich in 2010. I rented online at sixt.com. I used my credit card and availed of its rental car coverage feature and declined the CDW coverage online. The rental came to about €380. When I showed up in Munich to collect the car, I was given a form in German to fill out. I couldn't understand it of course, but the bottom had a €380 line item, so I thought I was simply signing for the rental. The unhelpful customer service rep at munich airport assured me it was the standard rental agreement and I should just sign it.

It turned out sixt had made a mistake on the order and booked me for CDW insurance coverage, which I had already declined online because I was covered by my credit card. The amount came to roughly the same €380 as the rental. When I got back to America, I got a shock when my credit card bill arrived and there was a double charge on it. I called sixt and they refused to reverse it, even after I sent them a copy of my emailed receipt showing I had declined the CDW insurance.

i then called American Express and disputed the charge. They gave me my money back. I considered the matter closed.

I rented from sixt again on two more occasions in Europe with no issues.

Then in 2013, something amazing happened. I rented from sixt in Sweden, again booking through sixt.com. I prepaid to avail of a lower rate. They accepted my credit card and gave me a reservation confirmation. Then I flew to Sweden and got off the airplane only to find the rep at the counter refused to rent me the car, stating I was "blocked"

even worse, they refused to refund my money, telling me they were applying the funds to my "outstanding balance"

As of this point, I still have not received my money back on the Sweden rental, and I am still on their blacklist because I refused to pay for their mistake.

Do not rent from sixt, at least in Europe. Choose Avis or hertz, they have never let me down.