Reload this Page >

Need SIN hotel recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need SIN hotel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Tiojelly
I have been reading this post to figure out where to stay and there have been few if any references to the Marriott. Since I am a platinum and usually get better rooms and lounge access I was thinking about this hotel.

Wanting the upgrades and points -- am I just being crazy not to stay at my companies "approved" hotels which are:

The Fullerton
Stamford
RC Millenium
Grand Hyatt
Raffles Plaza
Four Seasons
Will it doesn't quite bite, but it's not the best. In need of renovations, last time I checked. Good location though, right in the middle of Orchard Road.

My vote goes to the Fullerton, if your company will let you. It's the single most expensive hotel in Singapore and while I have not stayed there myself, apparently the service is something you have to experience to believe.

Otherwise, I can recommend the Stamford. It's 70 floors of hotel rooms, and if you're lucky you'll get one of the higher floor rooms.

They've got a nice bar on the 72nd floor that will also give you one of the best views in Singapore, without actually staying at the Stamford.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:47 pm
Banyan Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: United 1K, AA Gold, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, *W Gold, Leader's Club (?worthless)
I was just there at the Swissotel Equinox for dinner last night and the views are truly spectacular! The dinner was so, so...overpriced especially for Sinagpore, but worth it for the views or a special occasion. Our bill came to $230 singapore dollars for 2 (no wine)!

On another note: I'm staying at the RC-Millenia this time (stayed at Four Seasons last time) and I have to say the views are fantastic, but I think the service is much better at the Four Seasons. The FS rooftop pool is also more intimate and the hotel is generally less crowded than the RC. I think the FS rooms are also more nicely furnished. The FS toilletries are l'occitane and really top notch even for their basic standard rooms. The RC non-club Marina view room I'm staying in this time really doesn't have anything special except for the view and the regular toilettries are generic.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:04 pm

I had a really bad experience at the Marriott Singapore once, and even though it was just a dining experience, it would make me think twice about staying with them. The service I received was just appalling.

We had to wait 20 minutes to get our orders taken, that is, after stopping 2 servers, who told us they would be with us "in a minute". The order-taker was actually looking elsewhere while taking our orders, and he certainly is not looking at any of us or his order pad. Drinks were okay, but we paid cash, and it took the waiter 10 minutes to return the change to us, and we were one of the last tables to leave. Totally not impressed.

Service recovery was excellent though, my sisters and mum enjoyed a good meal with the resident manager's compliments (wasn't around in SIN to use the voucher).

I have to admit though that I am in the hospitality industry, and hence, may be more sensitive to lousy service than others.

The list of company "approved" hotels seems impressive though. Your company sure knows how to treat their staff! :-: I would go for those hotels than the Marriott though. The upgraded Marriott rooms may not even compare to the standard rooms of these hotels!
Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:16 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, UA Mileage Plus, BD Diamond Club
Thanks for everyone who came back with info about the Pan Pacific. Although I am planning a trip well in advance, I am already enjoying the research. So many excellent hotels to choose from.

Thanks.

Steve
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:58 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Tiojelly
The Fullerton
Stamford
RC Millenium
Grand Hyatt
Raffles Plaza
Four Seasons
Location of the Marriott is great for shopping etc right on Orchard/Scotts. However, if you don't need the points for requal or so I wold go as follows:

FS (top service, excellent staff)
RC (great views, great lounge, great staff)
Fullerton (never stayed there but some of my colleagues are split between awesome and I ve had better)
Raffles Plaza
Stamford (view from New Asia Bar is great but you don't need to stay there to have that experience)
Grand Hyatt (The club lounge is so so - food offering was 'sparse' and some staff leaves a lot to be desired, new club rooms very cool though)
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Thanks everyone for your input -- I am still undecided about which of these properties to stay in, but now deciding with a lot better info.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I've really enjoyed the Four Seasons. Now I stay at the Shangri-La because my hosts switched where they put up visitors. Both are excellent hotels. I like the standard FS room better than the standard Shangri-La room, but upgraded SL rooms are fantastic.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
[QUOTE= I like the standard FS room better than the standard Shangri-La room, but upgraded SL rooms are fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Valley Wing rooms are the way to go if one can afford it. My bosses always could but not for the foot soldiers .. ah well IC SIN I'm coming.
Old May 15, 2007, 1:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Singapore Hilton

Was looking for a recommendation on the Singapore Hilton.

Only poster that mentioned it aid that it needed to be updated. But that post appeared in 2005.

Short stay and convenience to the airport probably the most important factor.

Diamond so should get an upgrade.

Appreciate any comments. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Conrad for my dates in early June, 2007.
Old May 15, 2007, 8:41 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
Originally Posted by rtarbuck
Was looking for a recommendation on the Singapore Hilton.

Diamond so should get an upgrade.

Appreciate any comments. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Conrad for my dates in early June, 2007.

Stayed at Hilton a couple of times but prefer Le Meridian (have Hilton Gold/SPG Plat) and if you want cheaper and better across the street is the Orchard Hotel. The Conrad is away from Orchard Road and more expensive but nicer than Hilton.

Hilton rating below

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Singapore.html
Old May 15, 2007, 8:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Originally Posted by ewj
Stayed at Hilton a couple of times but prefer Le Meridian (have Hilton Gold/SPG Plat) and if you want cheaper and better across the street is the Orchard Hotel. The Conrad is away from Orchard Road and more expensive but nicer than Hilton.

Hilton rating below

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Singapore.html
Thanks. Most helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.