Need SIN hotel recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need SIN hotel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I picked the Oriental for $125 US. Any reviews? How's location. Do you all prefer the RC?
This price seems to be quite a bit better than RC, by at least 25% or maybe 50-60%, so it is a good deal!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Thanks. I booked the Oriental at $125 US. I've heard good things about the renovation. opinions?
The Oriental is an excellent choice, it's quite lovely inside. Ritz-Carlton next door has a wonderful pool area...and also a great hotel. I was just in Singapore last week. Must try to have cocktails or dinner at Equinox, New Asia or City Space....all located on 70th and 71st floors of Swissotel.....fabulous views of Singapore. The Roti Prata in Little India is not to be missed.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:39 am

Dinner at Equinox is worth doing, the views and the food are quite amazing.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by BaliParis
The Oriental is an excellent choice, it's quite lovely inside. Ritz-Carlton next door has a wonderful pool area...and also a great hotel. I was just in Singapore last week. Must try to have cocktails or dinner at Equinox, New Asia or City Space....all located on 70th and 71st floors of Swissotel.....fabulous views of Singapore. The Roti Prata in Little India is not to be missed.
Any thoughts on the Sheraton? I have a tentative res. there. In terms of location proximity to shopping/dinning? My first time in SIN.

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:31 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Recently stayed in Meritus Mandarin and was not impressed. Looks good, with nice location/facilities, but things aren't being maintained. First room I checked into was "possessed." In middle of night, while tryingto sleep after arriving in SIN ~12AM, room electronics went crazy - TV coming on/off, lights on/off repeatedly all by themselves. Could hear an electric relay switch clicking like made in the ceiling. Had to switch room.

On the positive side, they were very apologetic, and comped the room for the night, given I only got 3-4 hours of sleep.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by LA2CDG
Any thoughts on the Sheraton? I have a tentative res. there. In terms of location proximity to shopping/dinning? My first time in SIN.
The Sheraton is along Newton Road, relatively quieter and close to Orchard Road (10-15 minutes walk), the main shopping belt, and opposite Newton Food Centre, which unfortunately is closed right now for renovation. It is an old property, has been there since eons ago.

Let's just put it down as you can get better locations such as Orchard Road itself, or Marina Centre if you want to be close to shopping and dining. Unfortunately it is the only Starwood Property in Singapore (There is a St. Regis opening in 2007, i think), hence if you're choosing Sherton because of SPG, then you pretty much have no choice.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:38 am

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada

Thanks
Well, you've got yourself quite a nice spot to stay. You've got the MRT and bus stops at your door step!

Food is nearby at Newton. Yes, even the temporary hawker centre is almost beside the old one, so no worries about late night food.

Can't tell you about the rooms though, since I hardly have a chance to stay at a hotel in Singapore

To avoid peak hour traffic and any other jams into the shopping district, just take the MRT. Orchard, Somerset, Dhoby Ghaut and City Hall stations lie along the North South line which serves Newton station (where you are at). These stations span the shopping belt of Orchard Road (from Scotts Rd) all the way til Marina Sq and Suntec City. Taking the train is helluva better than taking the bus especially if Christmas is coming and the roads are clogged up on the weekends. Just FYI, the train ride from Newton to Orchard is no more than 5 mins, so proximity is not an issue.

As Rajah mentioned, Little India is not far off. You could take a cab from your hotel, shouldn't cost more than $6 (over estimating here), surcharges not included. Or hop on a bus along Bukit Timah Road in the direction of Bugis/Lavender. Service numbers 66 and 67 go there and are about 5 stops away IIRC.

Or be adventurous, and hop down to a neighbourhood nearby for some local food and observe what Singaporeans at work and play do.

How long will you be in Singapore for?
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, UA Mileage Plus, BD Diamond Club
Anyone know how the Pan Pacific is to stay for a 3 night stopover? Tripadvisor reports seem very complimentary of this hotel.

Any feedback welcome.

Steve

Last edited by SteveBerch; Oct 30, 2005 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:21 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SteveBerch
Anyone know how the Pan Pacific is to stay for a 3 night stopover? Tripadvisor reports seem very complimentary of this hotel.

Any feedback welcome.

Steve
I found it a bit run down and tired but some people really like their club lounge. I think there are better hotels in SIN in the same price range like IC. Just an opinion though.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:15 pm

Pan Pac juz had a major refurbishment just like the Oriental and the MM. The lobby seems impressive though a little crowded. Don't know about the rooms though.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:52 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SQ319
Pan Pac juz had a major refurbishment just like the Oriental and the MM. The lobby seems impressive though a little crowded. Don't know about the rooms though.
Thanks for the update - I didn't know that. Was about time though as it really needed it. Sure the rooms got an upgrade too? Now if they would only redo the Hilton SIN (rooms etc.) for crying out loud.

Cheers ...
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:46 am

I'm quite sure they have redone the rooms in Pan Pac. I remembered it was a very long major refurbishment which started with the Pan Pac, then the Oriental, and the MM is juz finishing up... There is now even a wine vault in the lobby which seems pretty impressive.

I agree with you though about a long overdue refurbishment for the Hilton. At least they have started with the exterior. The old-fashioned 70s/80s style building stuck out like a sore thumb among the rest of the more modern buildings along Orchard Road. The lobby was dark and there seems to be no natural light at all, though I must admit the last time I was there was at 11pm! Any idea though why they powers that be took so long to decide that Hilton finally needed a refurbishment (on the exterior)?

Anyone who wants to stay at the Hilton chain in Singapore should definitely choose the Conrad over the Hilton, no doubts about that. I don't think the rates are that much a difference.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,

Thanks
I would agree with SQ319 and say there are much better options in Singapore than the Sheraton. I have stayed there only when I needed an SPG credit so unless you are doing something similar I would stay elsewhere.

My personal favourite is the Conrad for the price it's usually available for, although the prices have started creeping up recently. The RC is excellent but more expensive and I recently stayed at the IC for the first time and thought that was good too. The Hilton is a little tired but I stay there occassionally as it's good for Orchard Road and alternating between there and the Conrad gets the HH stays up to keep Diamond.

I used to stay at the Swissotel, under it's current ownership and when it was a Westin and would recommend it. The location is great for getting around and the views are trememdous. One slightly worrying aspect is every room having a balcony, as I returned in a less than fresh state on more than one occassion and a balcony on the 65th floor maybe isn't the greatest idea.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by SteveBerch

Any feedback welcome.

Steve
Stayed there last December whilst renovation of the lobby was still going on.
Room(harbourview) was great and quiet. We had what they call the Superior Room with Breakfast included. It was buffet breakfast but with lots of variety. I don't eat much in the morning but hubby loved it because he sampled quite a few dishes not available in N. America.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Does the Marriott bite?

I have been reading this post to figure out where to stay and there have been few if any references to the Marriott. Since I am a platinum and usually get better rooms and lounge access I was thinking about this hotel.

Wanting the upgrades and points -- am I just being crazy not to stay at my companies "approved" hotels which are:

The Fullerton
Stamford
RC Millenium
Grand Hyatt
Raffles Plaza
Four Seasons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.