Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by jinrop
Is book the cook not available out of manchester? It's showing available on all my other segments and flights except exiting BKK (I know its not available out of bkk), but still no option out of manchester.
Simple check online will give you the answer.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...book-the-cook/

Looks like just London still from ex-UK.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by Mlee888
If you see something you like from the in-flight menu after you board that’s a preferred option vs your BTC choice, IME the cabin crew will do their utmost to provide this choice to you, given if they have any of your preferred choice still available after the other passengers have made their choices.
Thank you. After sending them a Twitter DM, they emailed me with the inflight menu. I was a bit surprised that I like the inflight options more than BTC!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by elsenor
Thank you. After sending them a Twitter DM, they emailed me with the inflight menu. I was a bit surprised that I like the inflight options more than BTC!
Happens more often than you think. Many times I’ve selected BTC ex-LAX and then seen the in-flight menu to have better choices.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Any insight into why the BTC (and regular menu for that matter) in First Class ex-LHR is so average?
No deliciously wholesome, no culinary panel chef dishes... it's all very grim.
Isn't LHR supposed to be one of their flagship routes? I've flown this many times and don't remember it looking so bad?
They also seem to serve the same dishes on each flight no matter what time of day it is... ie SQ321 serves the pre-landing meal as breakfast even though it arrives in SIN at 19:00..?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I ordered BTC on my flight yesterday (in J), after having previously selected a vegetarian meal (VLML).

Onboard the crew told me the BTC was only a main course and so there was no vegetarian starter or dessert catered for me. They said I was lucky as one passenger has not turned up so were about to cater something for me.

Is this correct? If you order BTC as a vegetarian there’s nothing else catered??

If so I will have to stop using it!
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by jbfield
I ordered BTC on my flight yesterday (in J), after having previously selected a vegetarian meal (VLML).

Onboard the crew told me the BTC was only a main course and so there was no vegetarian starter or dessert catered for me. They said I was lucky as one passenger has not turned up so were about to cater something for me.

Is this correct? If you order BTC as a vegetarian there’s nothing else catered??

If so I will have to stop using it!
BTC has always been about the main course and not the entire meal service. If you want a vegetarian appetizer as well, you’ll have to order a vegetarian meal.

Out of curiosity, what was the non-vegetarian dessert?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by SilverChris
BTC has always been about the main course and not the entire meal service. If you want a vegetarian appetizer as well, you’ll have to order a vegetarian meal.

Out of curiosity, what was the non-vegetarian dessert?
Thanks, ok next time I order a vegetarian meal I won’t try to add a BTC for the main. (I didn’t realise it removes the VLML setting).

The non-vegetarian desert was ‘ice cream’ or ‘ice cream Viennetta’. The crew told me it was not suitable after I asked them, although during the cheese course they told me I could eat cheese because it did not contain egg which rather lowered my confidence in their comprehension.
The word rennet did not appear to be recognised.

I actually quite like cheese so was quite annoyed they couldn’t give a straight answer on any of the selection. More the lack of training on the topic (Vegetarians are not exactly uncommon these days, particularly on my flight to India).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Thanks, ok next time I order a vegetarian meal I won’t try to add a BTC for the main. (I didn’t realise it removes the VLML setting).

The non-vegetarian desert was ‘ice cream’ or ‘ice cream Viennetta’. The crew told me it was not suitable after I asked them, although during the cheese course they told me I could eat cheese because it did not contain egg which rather lowered my confidence in their comprehension.

I actually quite like cheese so was quite annoyed they couldn’t give a straight answer on any of the selection. More the lack of training on the topic (Vegetarians are not exactly uncommon these days, particularly on my flight to India).

I don't think it's fair to expect onboard crew to provide definitive micro-details about the Book the Cook ingredients or behind the scenes food preparation process, all of which are probably somewhat variable depending on many factors (season, availability of ingredients, origin of flight, the manufacturing process, etc). Should SQ really be held liable if someone has an allergic reaction? Or if someone inadvertently eats food that violates their religious beliefs?

If a person has strong convictions related to food, order the special meal - the best (though not perfect) way to guarantee one's dietary preferences.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Enrich

For the ice cream, it could be due to the reason that they concern about there might be food coloring, which some ingredient may from animal/insect source.

From my experience, the vegetarian community is very complex, especially in the Asia. For example in Chinese vegetarian community, there is a group who only not eating meat, there is a group who also do not eat egg, there is a group who does not eat meat, garlic and spices but still eat egg, there is a group who does not eat egg, meat and diary and etc...

For my wife who go vegetarian because she does not like the taste of meat, usually when we are being served with different dessert. such as ice cream for me, and she got some cake, I would just pass the ice cream to her
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Hi does anyone know what the meal service on the 346 is?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
SQ288

We BTC from SIN to SYD and it wasnt available from FUK to SIN obv

Apps are standard husband booked Beef Redang which was absolutely delicious. Best plane meal ever and compares to best redang on land!

I booked chicken curry and it was so good and better than some restaraunts.

The pictures do not do the food justice.

Dessert was good and cheese plates yummy. Service amazing.

SIN to SYD and on to Canberra

I guess sate isnt served on long haul? Just regional, I guess, as we got it on FUK to SIN and not to SYD....oh yes...the warm garlic bread was flowing

Best beef Rendang ever from BTC

Best chicken curry BTC

Was good especially the real whip cream

Not sure was this was.

Cheese plate to follow to help digest
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by elsenor
I was a bit surprised that I like the inflight options more than BTC!
I've been burnt before by foregoing BTC and taking an interesting sounding in-flight menu option, only to find out on board that the dish was terrible.

With BTC at least you have the (relative) safety of being able to get reviews from FTers (and elsewhere) :P
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by aeroman380

Not sure was this was.
The dessert seems to be Chendol or Ice Kachang with coconut ice cream? Chendol is a popular dessert found commonly in S.E. Asia with little green dough served with jackfruit, shaved ice and generous amounts of liquid brown sugar. Ice Kachang usually has that little green stuff with other toppings like jellies, corn, red beans, etc. So based on the photo, it could be either one.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

Greetings!
SQ business, SIN TPE, morning flight. The breakfast BTC has dim sum, but nothing mentioned as description aside the radish cake. Does anyone have a picture or a detailed description of the dim sum served for breakfast? I am penchant towards the nasi lemak which seems nice. Any pix? Thank you!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by voyageuse
Greetings!
SQ business, SIN TPE, morning flight. The breakfast BTC has dim sum, but nothing mentioned as description aside the radish cake. Does anyone have a picture or a detailed description of the dim sum served for breakfast? I am penchant towards the nasi lemak which seems nice. Any pix? Thank you!
I do have a biz class dim sum breakfast from 2 years ago (and also my route is SIN-MAN), my apology if they changed the menu.(PS: the radish cake is really nice IMO)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.