Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:10 pm

Hi,

Can't decide between the following ex-SIN BTC lunch offerings. Love flavorful asian spiced (and spicy) dishes.

- Bak Chor Mee Dry Style
- Beef Rendang
- Indian Style Braised Lamb Shank
- Nonya Nasi Padang

(Business class BTC)

What can you recommend?

Also: do you still get the satays as an appetizer or do they need to be ordered under as main (BTC).

Thanks for helping out
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:39 pm

BTC ex PEK

Hi what BTC option would you recommend ex Beijing on J class? The Szechuan fish looks good. Anyone tried this? Many thanks
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Hey folks,

I have a trip in SQ Suites JFK-SIN-MEL in February, and was looking through the Book the Cook menu the other day. I noticed something interesting about the Lobster Thermidor dishes on the different BTC menus. The Book the Cook menu ex-JFK lists the traditional lobster thermidor we have come to know/love/scorn/be ambivalent about -- "Lobster meat sautéed in butter, flambéed in brandy, sprinkled with cheese, and served with creamy mushroom sauce, garlic and spicy mustard, and buttered asparagus."

However, ex-FRA and ex-SIN, "Lobster Thermidor" is now described as "Lobster meat sauteed in butter, served with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice" whereas my past experience has been that the menu description was identical to the one above. There is also a different menu description for "Classic Lobster Thermidor," which now reads: "Western Australian Lobster coated with a creamy wine and herb reduction served in a half shell. Served with saffron rice pilaf, butter asparagus spears and trussed cherry tomatoes." These dishes are still called "lobster thermidor," and while I'm not quite sure how much weight to put on the new website/BTC menu descriptions, somebody went out of their way to edit them at some point and probably for a reason.

Has anyone else noticed this change? Do these descriptions really indicate a menu change with the lobster thermidor? Has it been implemented for current flights already -- and if so, are there any reviews/reactions? Or is this something slated for down the road a little bit?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Any thoughts?

Will be having 4 BTC meals in the near future. (2 in Suites, 1 in Biz and 1 in PE).
Any thoughts on Bakut Teh meal in Suites ex-SIN? ( couldn't find much info on this dishes, mostly from years ago)
People mentioned Kyo Kaiseki served as Breakfast will have one less course, is that true for Brunch as well?
Also any thoughts on the chicken rice served on Biz and PE, does they taste the same? (A biz meal is definitely look different from PE meal aesthetically, but Im more on taste)
Thanks in advance

Last edited by definitelynotafrequentflyer; Oct 23, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ, Qantas, Korean Air
Warning in advance for fellow Vegetarians/Vegans. My Roast Cauliflower main was served with a meat starter. OK, fair enough it's not specifically listed as vegetarian the use on the description being "Roasted Cauliflower "Steak" with Tahini Garlic Sauce with quotes infers this. So be careful.

On the otherhand, the Coconut and Chia seed pudding was fantastic. I rate it highly for breakfast.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Hey folks,

I have a trip in SQ Suites JFK-SIN-MEL in February, and was looking through the Book the Cook menu the other day. I noticed something interesting about the Lobster Thermidor dishes on the different BTC menus. The Book the Cook menu ex-JFK lists the traditional lobster thermidor we have come to know/love/scorn/be ambivalent about -- "Lobster meat sautéed in butter, flambéed in brandy, sprinkled with cheese, and served with creamy mushroom sauce, garlic and spicy mustard, and buttered asparagus."

However, ex-FRA and ex-SIN, "Lobster Thermidor" is now described as "Lobster meat sauteed in butter, served with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice" whereas my past experience has been that the menu description was identical to the one above. There is also a different menu description for "Classic Lobster Thermidor," which now reads: "Western Australian Lobster coated with a creamy wine and herb reduction served in a half shell. Served with saffron rice pilaf, butter asparagus spears and trussed cherry tomatoes." These dishes are still called "lobster thermidor," and while I'm not quite sure how much weight to put on the new website/BTC menu descriptions, somebody went out of their way to edit them at some point and probably for a reason.

Has anyone else noticed this change? Do these descriptions really indicate a menu change with the lobster thermidor? Has it been implemented for current flights already -- and if so, are there any reviews/reactions? Or is this something slated for down the road a little bit?

Thanks for your thoughts!

This caught my attention too!
I have to upcoming travels in J within a month. One ex FRA and one Ex SIN.

I am concidering the Lobster Thermidor ex sin as it seems the soggy mushrooms that took up 80% of the dish are now gone 🤞🏻
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LadyBell
This caught my attention too!
I have to upcoming travels in J within a month. One ex FRA and one Ex SIN.

I am concidering the Lobster Thermidor ex sin as it seems the soggy mushrooms that took up 80% of the dish are now gone 🤞🏻

Sounds good - it would be great if you could please report back on the flight/Book the Cook experience!

View From The Wing has an article on the demise of SQ's lobster thermidor confirming this is probably real/deliberate:

https://viewfromthewing.com/singapor...ter-thermidor/
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:11 am

Sounds good - it would be great if you could please report back on the flight/Book the Cook experience!

View From The Wing has an article on the demise of SQ's lobster thermidor confirming this is probably real/deliberate:

This is interesting. I used to go for this all the time many years ago until the quality once was really bad. I now have a preference to go for the seared nut fillet.

The best lobster dish I have had in J is the one ex-LHR.

My favourite BTC dish has been the chicken congee, yes congee surprisingly leaving HKG back to SIN on SQ1. The breakfast BTC option here has been so much better than any BTC option I’ve had leaving any location.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Krisflyer

I think this change pre-dates the recent decision. I had this choice (with very slightly different wording) in July last year BTC: difference between Boston Lobster Thermidor and Classic Lobster Thermidor
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
I have a flight on SQ308 in Suites next month.

I am thinking of ordering the Kyo Kaiseki for the brunch service as I will have already have had breakfast in TPR.

Does anyone know if this would be the normal fulk Kaiseki or would it be a breakfast version?
May I know how's your experience? Do they serve a normal version of Kyo Kaiseki or a simplified version?
Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by definitelynotafrequentflyer
May I know how's your experience? Do they serve a normal version of Kyo Kaiseki or a simplified version?
Thanks
It was the full version, we ended up with a couple hours delay so was a great choice for what ended up as lunch.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:53 am

Thanks for the reply
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Anyone else not able to see the inflight menu in MMB? The BTC options show just fine, but I can't see the dang inflight choices... I even tried 2 different browsers, same. Flying SQ37 on Monday in J.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by elsenor
Anyone else not able to see the inflight menu in MMB? The BTC options show just fine, but I can't see the dang inflight choices... I even tried 2 different browsers, same. Flying SQ37 on Monday in J.
If you see something you like from the in-flight menu after you board that’s a preferred option vs your BTC choice, IME the cabin crew will do their utmost to provide this choice to you, given if they have any of your preferred choice still available after the other passengers have made their choices.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Is book the cook not available out of manchester? It's showing available on all my other segments and flights except exiting BKK (I know its not available out of bkk), but still no option out of manchester.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.