Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-SIN-CGK in coach: will it be awful?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
EWR-SIN-CGK in coach: will it be awful?

I have a trip to Jakarta in the fall, client is only paying lowest cost coach fare (about US$1500 last I looked). Business class is ~US$5000 more, so I can't pay to upgrade. I have no KF miles and not enough *A miles to get an upgrade.

So coach it is for me.

Longest I've ever done in coach was about 8 hours, and I had a hard time with that - this trip will be roughly 22 hours flight time, which is a little scary for me.

Anyone done the SQ nonstop EWR-SIN in coach? How was it? How is SQ's coach compared to that of the American carriers?

Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:19 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
jg70124, SQ Y on the EWR-SIN route is Executive Economy, which has 37" pitch, similar to J class in the late 80's.
AVOD is amazing, and food is good.
The seat is more comfortable than UA B767 transcon C class IMHO.
You should survive.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jg70124
I have a trip to Jakarta in the fall, client is only paying lowest cost coach fare (about US$1500 last I looked). Business class is ~US$5000 more, so I can't pay to upgrade. I have no KF miles and not enough *A miles to get an upgrade.

So coach it is for me.

Longest I've ever done in coach was about 8 hours, and I had a hard time with that - this trip will be roughly 22 hours flight time, which is a little scary for me.

Anyone done the SQ nonstop EWR-SIN in coach? How was it? How is SQ's coach compared to that of the American carriers?

Thanks.

Edited: StarG you beat me to it.

Well consider yourself lucky jg70124 as you have wisely picked the EWR-SIN nonstop flight on an SQ A345. There is no "normal" economy on this plane but only Exec. Eco with 37inch seat pitch and decent seats incl. leg rests. Next to TG's Eco/Prem. Eco (36inch/42inch) offering on JFK-BKK (also operating an A345) probably the most comfortable way to travel in Y-class.

Yes the flight will be long but with decent seats and pitch, a great IFE, and decent food offerings you should arrive in fairly good shape if you can handle the long flight time of around 18hrs. SIN-CGK is only 1,5 hrs so Y will not be an issue.

Cheers ...

Last edited by demue; Jun 22, 2005 at 9:29 am
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:33 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
You can catch A345 SIN-CGK as well to have better seat Y on SQ154 which is 55 minutes later than the first flight out from SIN SQ152.

For your reading enjoyment:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=12957
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
How is SQ's coach compared to that of the American carriers?

Thanks.
As noted by everyone above, the aircraft used for EWR-SIN and EWR-LAX nonstops only has Executive Economy and Raffles (Business) Class. Exec Econ has gotten pretty much universally good reviews here and elsewhere. I second the comments that you will have a fine journey in EE.

SQ's regular long-haul coach seats, OTOH, are as just as bad as UA E- or NW in terms of legroom and comfort. Offsetting this are SQ's much better IFE, cabin service and food compared to US carriers. But there's no way you'd catch me in regular SQ Y on a 22 hour flight. 31-32" pitch is just way too confining for that long a trip.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Thumbs up

From what I have heard I was going to take SQ Exec Econ to EWR or LAX in Sept but given I had a chance to take UA and get confirmed UG's in Business to PHL for close to the same price I chose UA for the Double Miles. Service and IFE SQ's product is far superior IMO.
-UFFA
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even SQ's regular coach service beats any of those served by the U.S. carriers hands down.....no competition. And you.......as the others have stated, won't be in the regular coach for this flight but be in the advanced type of coach cabin which IMO, beats most J class offered by the American Carriers. Regardless, enjoy your flight.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I agree with rejuvinated, don't bother with any american airlines, or UA for that matter. SQ cannot be compared to any US airlines. You will enjoy the service, attitude of the FA's and even the food that is remarkable. Did I mention attitude of the FA's, unlike the lazy and old grandma's of US airlines.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Jun 23, 2005 at 8:44 pm
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:36 am

Programs: KF Gold
I just got off the flight yesterday, and yes, exec economy is great value for money. It's definitely not J, but I really could sleep, the service really is great, and the AVOD will keep you busy. There are also powerpoints for your laptop, so don't forget to bring your power chord (as I did) on the plane with you. All in all, I'd still choose J, but given a choice between 18 hours in this seat and 12 hours in regular Y, I'd choose this any day. I even had an empty seat next to me, so it was really quite pleasant for such a long trip......
Old Jun 25, 2005, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience being in Executive Y. This is the closest you can get to a business class type of experience without actually sitting in J.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:20 am

So coach it is for me.

Thanks.
Just got off this earlier today and it was really full. Not an empty seat in Y but it was still comfy. Service was good, plenty of eye candy....
The guy next to me; in the middle seat; slept most of the way and he had his bag under the seat so it seemed ok for him too.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:29 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rejunivated
Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience being in Executive Y. This is the closest you can get to a business class type of experience without actually sitting in J.
... and without actually paying the price for a J-class tix.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Even SQ's regular coach service beats any of those served by the U.S. carriers hands down.....no competition. And you.......as the others have stated, won't be in the regular coach for this flight but be in the advanced type of coach cabin which IMO, beats most J class offered by the American Carriers. Regardless, enjoy your flight.
I did this flight (in Raffles) a coupla months ago and thought it was great (shorter then SQ19/20, my regular, from ORD for me). Y was fairly empty from my looksee. People looked reasonably healthy upon arrival.

Now, I am a seat guy and if, for some reason, I had to fly Y transocean, but not in Exec Y with SQ (or perhaps TG's ultra long haul), I don't actually mind UA's E+ as the pitch is much better than other airlines. I think you get something like 35 or 36" IIRC...and it's "free" assuming you are an elite or get lucky at the airport.

Of course service and food isn't comparable, but the seat will save you some pain. Asian airlines in Y are especially cramped.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oontiveros
Of course service and food isn't comparable, but the seat will save you some pain. Asian airlines in Y are especially cramped.
Some may disagree, but IMO one of the reasons why many Asian Airlines have smaller pitches in their Y seats is due to the fact that the body of the majority of asians are smaller built (i.e. lesser weight/width).

Last edited by Rejuvenated; Jun 27, 2005 at 12:46 pm
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Some may disagree, but IMO one of the reasons why many Asian Airlines have smaller pitches in their Y seats is due to the fact that the body of the majority of asians are smaller built (i.e. lesser weight/width).
Flew CX a few years back in Y from LAX to HKG IIRC... Luckily my friend was sitting next to me, so I could actually "spill" myself over onto his seat every now and then . I think that is how my back problems started .

In November of last year, I flew SQ in Y FRA/JFK/FRA. Seat was decent especially since it was on an exit row, but I wouldn't want a repeat performance, especially if I have the same FA sitting in front of me .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.