Wiki Posts
Search

Departure time change of SQ22?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:53 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
CGK's suggestion sounds good IMHO.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:23 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
CGK's suggestion isn't bad. But getting from the East Coast to LAX in time for a 9:00pm Pacific departure (as opposed to an 11:30 EWR departure) means leaving work early, and the redeye return isn't exactly thrilling. It's also tough because SQ.com doesn't let a pax originate from a US city other than SFO/LAX/NYC, meaning I have to buy separate Delta tix from ATL to the gateway, so departing and arriving at different gateways throws a real monkey wrench into the situation. (Calling 1-800-SQ usually results in higher fares than SQ.com.) CGK is definitely correct that the TG flight isn't ideal either

If I'm gonna do it through LAX, I could solve the leaving-work-early issue by going outbound on SQ 29 and returning on SQ 30, which cuts the fare by about 30%. Of course, that means flying in plain-old economy on the long-hauls, but at least they're 777s.

It would be sooooo much easier if SQ 22 went back to its original departure time or SQ 61 left BKK early enough to connect to SQ 22. That would be smooth as silk (!).
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:40 am

Talking about smooth as silk, you might be better off taking TG's new nonstop services to NYC. Premium Y is very comfy despite its exotic colors. IFE is good. Downside: it departs NYC at 12:00 pm.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:32 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by StarG
Talking about smooth as silk, you might be better off taking TG's new nonstop services to NYC. Premium Y is very comfy despite its exotic colors. IFE is good. Downside: it departs NYC at 12:00 pm.
Well, TG flights will not be the best option for a short weekend trip to Bangkok. For example, if you live east coast of the US, after work you can not just go to the airport and catch the flight out. You have to wait for the next day to catch the noon departure. For the return, you have to leave BKK after midnight, which means if I leave earlier than the usual morning SQ22 connection. In addtion, TG flight will arrive at JFK a.m. Thus, I will spend the rest of the day at home.
In short, TG would not be a good choice of schedule for a short trip to BKK from East Coaster; eventhough many claims that Y+ on TG is great!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:53 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
CGK's suggestion isn't bad. But getting from the East Coast to LAX in time for a 9:00pm Pacific departure (as opposed to an 11:30 EWR departure) means leaving work early, and the redeye return isn't exactly thrilling. It's also tough because SQ.com doesn't let a pax originate from a US city other than SFO/LAX/NYC, meaning I have to buy separate Delta tix from ATL to the gateway, so departing and arriving at different gateways throws a real monkey wrench into the situation. (Calling 1-800-SQ usually results in higher fares than SQ.com.) CGK is definitely correct that the TG flight isn't ideal either

If I'm gonna do it through LAX, I could solve the leaving-work-early issue by going outbound on SQ 29 and returning on SQ 30, which cuts the fare by about 30%. Of course, that means flying in plain-old economy on the long-hauls, but at least they're 777s.

It would be sooooo much easier if SQ 22 went back to its original departure time or SQ 61 left BKK early enough to connect to SQ 22. That would be smooth as silk (!).
If you are bored with my suggestions, please stop me
Presumably you are thinking the short-trip to BKK will not be just once, but more. And Executive Economy is the preferred travel class of service. Am I right?

1. For the convenience for you who travel all the way from the US with this summer schedule SQ21/22, would it be possible to go as far as SIN, and Mr. M will join you in SIN? A change of venue meeting would be wonderful I think. And, if you plan for the weekend of Aug 6, some FTers will be there for SIN DO Lite II ... Other short-hops between SIN and BKK are Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Langkawi etc ...

2. Get two tickets and split the dates. For eaxmple:

Jul 14 EWR-SIN-BKK Ticket # 1
Jul 17 BKK-SIN-LAX Ticket # 2

Nov ?? LAX-SIN-BKK Ticket #2 (when there is a US holiday, so you make it more flexible by not leaving works early)
Nov ?? BKK-SIN-EWR Ticket #1 (when SQ61 & SQ22 can have direct connect)
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:03 am

Forgive me, Guru CGK.
True what you said.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:15 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Thanks for the suggestions. It's all very frustrating.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it appears that you insist on taking SQ22. We have offered suggestions to go with SQ 20, 30 ,26 or even TG. In that case your only option to flying SQ22 would be to fly SQ69, overnight in SIN and fly out on 22 the next day. So now you have been suggested 5 different options, sometimes we just have to be flexible.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:35 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Red face

Really wanted to try this in Septemeber but after the schedule change it is not really an option!! Needless to say I will be flying UA in UGed C Class so I guess maybe I will give it a shot when the winter schedule comes back
-UFFA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.