Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

A380 inaugural information (25 October 2007)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 inaugural information (25 October 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Question

sorry if posting in the wrong thread (I'm more of a UA guy), but I know that the first delivery is Monday... but I am curious, when will they get subsequent deliveries? Or will this be the only one for a while? I can't seem to find anything on the airbus site.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
sorry if posting in the wrong thread (I'm more of a UA guy), but I know that the first delivery is Monday... but I am curious, when will they get subsequent deliveries? Or will this be the only one for a while? I can't seem to find anything on the airbus site.
I saw 2 other SQ A380's in build phase in the A380 assembly facility today - probably more off in Hamburg getting fitted out with seats/livery. So more soon I'd think! They'll need a few to do the full Kangaroo route.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Does anyone know what time tomorrow the big beastie is due in SIN?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: TK, SQ, TG, NW, PCR, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Does anyone know what time tomorrow the big beastie is due in SIN?
Sometime in the afternoon and it will berth at Changi's Terminal 3. There will be a live telecast on Singapore's Channel News Asia between 6.00 and 7.30 pm where Prime Minister H.L. Lee will be there to officially receive this Big Bird.

Last edited by aerosmith; Oct 16, 2007 at 4:12 am
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:40 am

Programs: LH/LX
Originally Posted by julianhayward
They'll need a few to do the full Kangaroo route.
They need 3-4:

One is able to do SIN-SYD-SIN on its own.
One is not enough to do SIN-LHR-SIN on its own.

Combined it gets even worse, as you have to consider the restrictions on the landing/starting times in airports like LHR/SYD.

In addition you need some sort of spare, in case something blows up. Ideally those SEA carriers are flying to shorthaul destinations like KUL, BKK, HKG with rather big birds, so in a case of emergency they can react rather quick and rearrange their rotations.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:54 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hennessy
They need 3-4:

One is able to do SIN-SYD-SIN on its own.
One is not enough to do SIN-LHR-SIN on its own.

Combined it gets even worse, as you have to consider the restrictions on the landing/starting times in airports like LHR/SYD.

In addition you need some sort of spare, in case something blows up. Ideally those SEA carriers are flying to shorthaul destinations like KUL, BKK, HKG with rather big birds, so in a case of emergency they can react rather quick and rearrange their rotations.
True but initially they will fly the SIN-SYD-SIN route with just a single plane and no spare. So they may do the same on SIN-LHR-SIN with just 2 planes and no spares.

While it takes at least 2 planes to do SIN-LHR-SIN, they can do 2 flights per day with only 3 planes. Example:

SQ308/SQ319/SQ322/SQ317 takes 3 days and then repeats again starting with SQ308, so 3 planes means enough to do this sequence for each flight each day. If they get 2 more planes initially to start service to LHR and then later get another plane, they will be tempted to use that additional plane to fly twice per day rather than using the third plane as a spare.

So with a total of 3 planes they can do 1 flight per day on the Kangaroo route. With a total of 5 planes they can do 2 flights per day on the route. To do all 3 daily flights would probably take 3 or possibly 4 additional (total 8 or 9) planes depending on the scheduling because for the last flight theres a long overnight wait for the plane in SYD using their current schedule.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: Shiny metal ones that go clink.
More A380 seat pictures

Facinating pictures of all the A380 seats at www.airreview.com in the A380 section.

Scroll down to the Entertainment section and there is a good chunk on the inseat power and the new version of Krisworld.

Last edited by Newssexy; Feb 27, 2011 at 4:29 pm
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:57 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Whalejet flight SQ380 from Toulouse now showing up on the Changi Airport arrivals board as confirmed at 18:30Hrs. First time I have seen a T3 arrival at Changi..!

18:30 SQ380 Toulouse 3 42 Confirmed 18:30

Legend for Terminals
1: Terminal 1
2: Terminal 2
B: Budget Terminal
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Ah that explains why I couldn't see it - I went looking by the T2 A380 gates. Hmm hopefully our departure takes us past T3.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:53 pm

Great Auction- Well done SIA, Auctionwire and ebay

Great auction- awsome flight.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Flightglobal has just released details of which flights to London Heathrow will be switched to the A380

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.