Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

A380 inaugural information (25 October 2007)

Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,

I thought it was time to update this:

- SQ are now expecting to get the first a/c in late November 2006. They are hoping to then have it in revenue service late December. First flight is now expected to be SIN-SYD, as much for 'political' reasons as anything else. SQ are currently pressing the Oz Government for fifth freedoms to fly SYD-LAX. Upon return to Changi the a/c will probably do SIN-LHR

- At the moment the intention is not to operate regional familiarisation flights with fare paying pax !!.

- As previously stated the first batch will have less than 500 seats, probably around the 480 mark, exact number still to be confirmed.

- They will all be 3 class a/c initially with Y, C & F. Going 4 class has been looked at and is continuing to be considered and as such they hope to make it so that it is relatively easy to convert to 4 class at a later date.

- All 3 classes will be brand new, with 3 different designers currently working on a new F, C & Y. No promises on what this will entail, including legroom in Y. VS did a couple of presentations of the UCS to SQ a while ago so Raffles may be similar. First is supposedly being created by a UK Yacht designer.

- There has been far more interest in the inaugural than expected. Priority will be given to Solitaire/PPS/KF Gold etc after the press & VIP's etc have been allocated.

Last edited by MAN Flyer; Jan 4, 2006 at 3:20 am Reason: Info waay out of date...
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:34 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Great info, MAN Flyer! Thanks for sharing them with us.

But there goes my plans to be on the familiarization flights.

Anyway...

Some interesting sentences from the January issue of internal SQ newsletter:

1) SIA CEO Chew Choon Seng:
- "... we will take delivery of three more B777-300s..." during 2005-6.
- "... we will be developing the entry into service later in 2006 of the first of 18 new generation B777-300ERs that we ordered in August. We also have some secret weapons which I am allowed to disclose only in the fullness of time." Hmm.... secret weapons? Any guesses?

2) "Live TV to be beamed on board by mid-year. SIA will be among the first carriers to offer real time inflight broadband service and will top it off with a world's first in mid-2005 by bringing live international TV on board, beamed through Connexion by Boeing to passengers' laptops."

Last edited by StarG; Feb 4, 2005 at 2:43 am
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:36 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Thanks for the update, MAN Flyer! ^

Now I need to figure out how to get on that inaugural flight. Hopefully I'll have made TPP by then...
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:50 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by StarG
Some interesting sentences from the January issue of internal SQ newsletter...
How can I subscribe to this??
Old Feb 4, 2005, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ, HHonors, Priority Club
"... we will take delivery of three more B777-300s..." during 2005-6."
For those who like to know. 9V-SYJ and K will arrive in Mar
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by MovieMan
How can I subscribe to this??
By becoming a beautiful Singapore Girl is one of the possible ways...

Keithl: Do you know why some newer 777s never get their Star Alliance logo? IIRC, SYF does not but SYG and SYH both have it. Did someone forgot to apply the stickers? Payload restrictions?

Last edited by StarG; Feb 4, 2005 at 10:07 am Reason: mistyped
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, Qantas, Delta, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
- They will all be 3 class a/c initially with Y, C & F. Going 4 class has been looked at and is continuing to be considered and as such they hope to make it so that it is relatively easy to convert to 4 class at a later date.
What would the 4th class be? Some sort of Economy Plus?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:40 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for the update... ^
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I am interested in what the 4th class would be also
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
The fourth class would indeed be an economy plus, just like they have on the A345's now. Apparently customer feedback is telling them there is a market for this so they are being 'pressured' by their sales people in various locations to introduce a fourth class on a number of routes.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks MAN Flyer and Star G ^^^

Originally Posted by MovieMan
Thanks for the update, MAN Flyer! ^

Now I need to figure out how to get on that inaugural flight. Hopefully I'll have made TPP by then...
Me too. July isnt the easiest month though. Hey if they do route through SYD as well I may have to go that way instead of the more direct from AKL.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm certainly one customer willing to pay a premium for Economy Plus. I took the A345 nonstop EWR-SIN principally for two reasons: 1) I'm an aviation buff and though it'd be cool to fly the world's longest nonstop (it was); and 2) the Executive Economy product made travelling the the other side of the world eminently more tolerable than standard Cattle Class. I actually enjoyed the flight, even though I wasn't in Raffles.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 7:50 pm

By becoming a beautiful Singapore Girl is one of the possible ways...

Keithl: Do you know why some newer 777s never get their Star Alliance logo? IIRC, SYF does not but SYG and SYH both have it. Did someone forgot to apply the stickers? Payload restrictions?
StarG I don't know why but the rumour; strictly rumour so don't take it for a fact; is that Mr Chew doesn't like those names so they are removing all those names: Jubilee, Leadership, Megatop.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Keithl
StarG I don't know why but the rumour; strictly rumour so don't take it for a fact; is that Mr Chew doesn't like those names so they are removing all those names: Jubilee, Leadership, Megatop.
I think I read that somewhere as well. Without all the fancy names the planes look too plain for my taste.
I was talking about those little Star logos behind the cockpit, though.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:24 pm

I was talking about those little Star logos behind the cockpit, though.
Duh! Misread..Sorry but I don't know why....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.