Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ C+Y or ANA Super Style (old) C

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2004, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Question SQ C+Y or ANA Super Style (old) C

I am about to ticket a Star Alliance award itinerary from SFO-SIN. I have made an exhaustive search, using all possible exit points, transfer points, etc, from every gateway in the U.S. and Asia that utilizes Star airlines. The final decision for my travel dates has boiled down to this:

Option 1. SFO-NRT-SIN in ANA Super Style (old business class, both segments, both 777s)

Option 2. SFO-LAX-SIN (SFO-LAX in UA domestic First, LAX-SIN in Premium Economy on the Leadership A345)

Option 3. SFO-ICN-SIN (SFO-ICN in SQ business class with Spacebeds, ICN-SIN in SQ Y).

How would you rank these options? I am 6'2" tall.

Waitlisting for higher classes of service is not permitted on Star awards. You can, however, change the ticket free of charge for identical routings if a higher class of service opens up and you call in quickly enough. A change of routing (e.g. if SFO-HKG-SIN opened up) would incur a $75 USD reissue fee (which would be fine with me).

Also, I recall a post about someone who was confirmed on a Star paper award ticket in SQ Business class on all segments except 1 who was able to get SQ to place him in an (available, non-used) Business class seat at the time of check-in at LAX. I can't find this post anymore, though.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Old May 1, 2004, 10:04 am

Programs: AC 75K,SQ*G,Marriott PLT,HH GOLD,IHG PLTAMB
Originally Posted by John26
I am about to ticket a Star Alliance award itinerary from SFO-SIN. I have made an exhaustive search, using all possible exit points, transfer points, etc, from every gateway in the U.S. and Asia that utilizes Star airlines. The final decision for my travel dates has boiled down to this:

Option 1. SFO-NRT-SIN in ANA Super Style (old business class, both segments, both 777s)

Option 2. SFO-LAX-SIN (SFO-LAX in UA domestic First, LAX-SIN in Premium Economy on the Leadership A345)

Option 3. SFO-ICN-SIN (SFO-ICN in SQ business class with Spacebeds, ICN-SIN in SQ Y).

How would you rank these options? I am 6'2" tall.

Waitlisting for higher classes of service is not permitted on Star awards. You can, however, change the ticket free of charge for identical routings if a higher class of service opens up and you call in quickly enough. A change of routing (e.g. if SFO-HKG-SIN opened up) would incur a $75 USD reissue fee (which would be fine with me).

Also, I recall a post about someone who was confirmed on a Star paper award ticket in SQ Business class on all segments except 1 who was able to get SQ to place him in an (available, non-used) Business class seat at the time of check-in at LAX. I can't find this post anymore, though.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
If I think arriving time in SIN, I will choice 2>1>3. But if I think in flight service and seat ・・・etc, I will choice 3>2>1. NH's 777-281s(Not ER's) fly between NRT and SIN but these aircrafts aren't super style and no AVOD.
Old May 1, 2004, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Question Update...

Just found out that SFO-ICN is no longer available. My fault for not reserving it that way.

1. What do you think is the likelihood Raffles class Star Alliance award seats will open up between now and the flight date (2 DEC) for the LAX-SIN A345 Leadership or other transpac routings (e.g. HKG or ICN)?

2. Late SIN arrival times are a non-issue for me. Would you choose Premium Economy on the A345 Leadership over ANA old Super Style Business Class seats SFO-NRT, connecting to old non-Super Style Business class NRT-SIN?

3. I would still be curious to hear your thoughts on the original post (the order in which you would rank the original 3 options), just in case SFO-ICN should become available again.

Last edited by John26; May 1, 2004 at 10:35 am
Old May 1, 2004, 11:23 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
I don't know about the timings, but I would strongly suggest you to take the ANA old business class flights SFO-NRT-SIN.
As good as SQ's Executive Economy is and however comfortable the seats are, they are still Economy.

ANA used to operate their New Regional Business Class (Club ANA Asia) NRT-SIN which has very comfortable-looking seats (never tried them before) - which may have AVOD as well.
And I don't know if there is an even older Business Class (non Super Style) still in operation.

Just some thoughts.
Old May 2, 2004, 11:43 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN
You might want to try UNITED from SFO-NRT/HKG-SIN, they have more availablilty in C to SIN and their C class seats have 55 in. seat pitch which isn't bad. Also their flights to NRT and HKG are on the 744 so you could sit on the upper deck. I've never tried Asiana, but they also fly from SFO-ICN-SIN, I don't if they have a good C product though.
BTW, What airline is your miles coming from?
Old May 2, 2004, 11:45 am

If your miles are from 1k why don't you buy a very cheap econ to SIN, and use your mileage plus to upgrade. As 1k you get double miles in econ, so on this route you could rack up around 34,000 frequent flyer miles!
Old May 2, 2004, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

I am a 1K on United and I am using United Mileage Plus miles to pay for this award itinerary. Surprisingly, UA has NO award availability for transpac flights in Business class from LAX, SFO, SEA, JFK, ORD to either NRT or HKG. SQ doesn't have any Business class availability either.

United does have award availability for HKG-SIN, but there is no way to get to HKG in Business class on an award ticket from UA or any Star Allliance airline.

I am quite familiar with United's Business seat (C+). Chair-wise, it's one of the best non-bed Business seats on a 3 class aircraft. The service depends on the crew, but I've never had bad service in United Business or United First for a transpac or transatlantic flight (just some mediocre service in United Business and United First on domestic flights). On int'l flights, it ranges from "nice" to "outstanding." Then again, I almost worked as an Onboard Service Supervisor at UA so maybe that added repoire helps.

Anyone else care to comment about ANA Super Style versus SQ Executive Economy on the A345 Leadership?

Last edited by John26; May 2, 2004 at 10:43 pm
Old May 3, 2004, 5:36 am

Since you're 1k wouldn't you be pretty high on the waitlist though?
Old May 3, 2004, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by got miles?
Since you're 1k wouldn't you be pretty high on the waitlist though?
AFAIK, there is no waitlisting permitted on Star Alliance awards. Therefore, my elite status with UA in this case makes no difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.