Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Unable to purchase Singapore Airlines tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2023, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I was trying to purchase a flight ticket from Bangkok to Singapore but the payment kept getting declined. I used a Chase credit card and called both my bank and VISA, they both confirmed that everything's perfectly fine with my card and they didn't even see the transaction come through from Singapore Airlines. I've worked with multiple online agents and a phone agent and none of them were able to get this resolved. The first online agent told me I need to clear my browser cache and try it again, I tried and even tried on the app with no luck. The second agent sent me a payment link via email and it didn't work either. I tried using a different Chase card and still got the same error message. I then tried to pay via phone with a phone agent and had no luck either, the phone agent told me the reason why I got declined was because there's a system issue on their end so no self/phone payment could go through at this time, he said there's no ETA on when this could be fixed. The error message I got was something like "The transaction got declined, please contact your local Singapore Airlines office."
Does anyone have this issue lately? I did some google research and seems like there're other people who have had this issue.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: MP 1K, NH Diamond, EK Gold, IHG SA, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
I had the same issue the last 2 times I tried to book. I tried every credit card that I have from Amex to Visa and Mastercard from both Chase and Citibank. End up getting the travel agent to book instead.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DKann
I had the same issue the last 2 times I tried to book. I tried every credit card that I have from Amex to Visa and Mastercard from both Chase and Citibank. End up getting the travel agent to book instead.
I ended up giving them a call again and the agent manually collect my credit card number and it went through. It's still frustrating tho as I've never had this issue with any other airlines.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Same issue here. Three tickets BKK-SIN and refuses to go through (tried different browsers with Chase UA Visa). Chase said it did not make it to their system. Talking to live chat now.

* Update: used the Live Chat in the browser and this is what it took to get it processed.
1. Fortunately Singapore sent me a booking code/PDF to my email. Not ticketed. Gave that to the chat agent.
2. Chat agent recreates the purchase (three tickets under one booking code) under a new booking code and emails it to me and I have to go to "Manage Booking" tab on the website homepage, put in that booking code and last name. Takes me to online payment page and fails again.
3. Chat agent has to call me on my mobile number. She says I will get routed to a phone payment system which asks for CC#, CV, and exp date which I put in and then routes me back to chat agent on the phone.
4. SUCCESS! I get three separate Singapore emails with e-ticket PDF receipts for myself and my two family members traveling with me.

What trial and tribulation!

Last edited by CApreppie; Oct 8, 2023 at 3:17 pm
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:06 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Same issue here. Three tickets BKK-SIN and refuses to go through (tried different browsers with Chase UA Visa). Chase said it did not make it to their system. Talking to live chat now.

* Update: used the Live Chat in the browser and this is what it took to get it processed.
1. Fortunately Singapore sent me a booking code/PDF to my email. Not ticketed. Gave that to the chat agent.
2. Chat agent recreates the purchase (three tickets under one booking code) under a new booking code and emails it to me and I have to go to "Manage Booking" tab on the website homepage, put in that booking code and last name. Takes me to online payment page and fails again.
3. Chat agent has to call me on my mobile number. She says I will get routed to a phone payment system which asks for CC#, CV, and exp date which I put in and then routes me back to chat agent on the phone.
4. SUCCESS! I get three separate Singapore emails with e-ticket PDF receipts for myself and my two family members traveling with me.

What trial and tribulation!
Does your Chase UA Visa support 2FA (One Time Password / PIN) online transaction verification? If not, that is likely the problem and it was in the past an issue with making payments using US credit cards or any cards for that matter that do not support the Verified by Visa / Amex Safe Key or 3D Secure by Mastercard and such online validations as SQ is using / defaulting that method.

Buying anything with just credit card number, expiry date and CCV or such is not really safe any longer, but hey credit skimming via magnetic strip is also still a good business in the States when modern cards and payment solutions would require an EMV chip and reader normally (e.g. in Europe, parts of Asia, etc.). YMMV.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:47 pm

I also had this happen to me several times, and I was using/testing a Singapore-issued credit card, and SQ's own co-branded Amex. Hilarious when the system told me Amex was not supported!
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Although it's ironic, co-branding means nothing in terms of technical capabilities of the card issuer.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:31 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
I also had this happen to me several times, and I was using/testing a Singapore-issued credit card, and SQ's own co-branded Amex. Hilarious when the system told me Amex was not supported!
That is crappy and should not be happening. Singapore issued Amex cards support Amex Safe Key and should definitely work. Last time I used one has been years ago though as these days I use other cards.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by demue
That is crappy and should not be happening. Singapore issued Amex cards support Amex Safe Key and should definitely work. Last time I used one has been years ago though as these days I use other cards.
The weird thing was, the screen took me all the way to the Amex Safe Key site, i got my OTP from Amex and filled it in accordingly, but once I submitted that page, and the SQ confirmation page was supposed to load, it didn't, and gave me the error instead. So I suspect it was really SQ's error rather than Amex or the cards.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:04 pm

I suffered with the same problem too. The answer I received is that the Chase Visa is not "Verified by Visa". Not sure if that's true or not, but I couldn't use my Chase Saphire card visa either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.