Wiki Posts
Search

Star alliance upgrade on SQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Star alliance upgrade on SQ

Hi.

I am trying to book a flight from Sfo to sin on Singapore airline with cash. I would like to use the star alliance upgrade.

However, I saw some posts saying that UA does not allow star alliance upgrade on SQ. Aeroplan has suspended the upgrade. Does anyone suggest using ANA or other options?

thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I can't answer your question about UA but I looked at doing a similar thing using my TK miles recently. But what I found was that even fares that are normally upgradable (eg. the top SQ Premium Economy fare) had non-upgradeable fare conditions in the fare rules. Maybe covid related?

Anyway - before you buy take care to read the fare conditions for the ticket you are purchasing. Good luck.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kwtkiwi
Hi.

I am trying to book a flight from Sfo to sin on Singapore airline with cash. I would like to use the star alliance upgrade.

However, I saw some posts saying that UA does not allow star alliance upgrade on SQ. Aeroplan has suspended the upgrade. Does anyone suggest using ANA or other options?

thanks!
This is not possible. Since about 2010, SQ banned premium partner award space on their 77W, A380 and now A350 aircraft. This translates as no long-haul Singapore Airlines Business or First class awards are available to partners.

The only program you can use is Krisflyer. I remember at one stage miles and more members had access but not sure if this still exists.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:27 am

So I have a SQ flight in B class from SIN-SAI. I see award availability on United for 27.5k, meaning there is I class available. I tried upgrading using the Star Alliance Upgrade award; however, I got the message, "We cannot process your request.
Upgrade not available"

Usually, the Star Alliance Upgrade Award correlates with I-class availability. Does anyone know if Singapore Airlines just doesn't allow upgrading using Star Alliance Upgrade awards? 77W, A380, or A350 aircraft do not operate this flight. It is a 737 Max 8
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carlosiah
Usually, the Star Alliance Upgrade Award correlates with I-class availability.
Usually it does, but not always, and it can vary by airline. Unless we have an employee or customer who is very familiar with these *A upgrades, we may never find out the precise requirements to do a *A upgrade on SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.