Search

Hating large TV screens in economy class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes
Hating large TV screens in economy class

photo from -- https://www.pointhacks.com.au/review...ngapore-seoul/

A few months ago I flew on a Singapore Air Asia-Australia flight in economy part of the way (Business in other)...and I hated it - the economy part.

First of all - it was cramped for economy, but worse then that -- all the monitors were so bright, it was annoying - even wearing an eye shade. And when not - just the artificial light all over. And screen animation/movement from whatever people watch.

This trend of "bigger is better" for all things is ridiculous.

Now, large screens in business - no big (but getting excessive on some airlines), but in economy, better to keep them smaller instead of maximizing.

Lest you just think I'm complaining about economy vs business...no..I recently flew several legs of econ on United, ANA, China Airlines. And I wasn't bothered by this.

United's screens on the 737 to/from Guam were much smaller and dimmer. Though I admit I found myself turning off the adjacent screens. Flight was mostly empty too. ANA - no screens on a short domestic hop. China Air was crowded in econ - but I didn't notice this as much.. I think the screens are a little smaller, but maybe not as bright? Also now that I think about it...the TPE-FUK route was a day trip and shorter (800 miles), the SIN-PERth route much longer (2400 miles) and at night/red-eye. Maybe if airlines shut off the IFE screens on red-eye flights....

Most times I fly in econ - it's domestic USA or short hops outside the USA, and there are no screens or much smaller on the 737/A320s...

just found this....interesting.
https://www.uponarriving.com/airline...ck-tv-screens/
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Are you conflating size and brightness, i.e., if the screens were the same size but 30 or 50% less bright, would you have the same perception of your flight?
THR, MeltingAlf, Deckter and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:00 pm
THR

What an odd thing to complain about. I think the vast majority of passengers would enjoy them.

And the screens can be turned off or the brightness lowered (by fellow passengers that care to do so).

I for one would not support smaller screens in economy to acquiesce to people like you.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:04 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Maybe if airlines shut off the IFE screens on red-eye flights....
Are you for real? Stick to business class or bring your eyeshades. Christ on a stick.
Dean1953, HawaiiO and Deckter like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by EqualOpp
all the monitors were so bright, it was annoying - even wearing an eye shade. And when not - just the artificial light all over. And screen animation/movement from whatever people watch.
usually screens have prior viewing angles (privacy // polarized to minimize light leakage).

i tried ANA PE 15.6" touchscreen - it was a very responsive touchscreen and i loved it
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
Are you for real? Stick to business class or bring your eyeshades. Christ on a stick.
Even in J, at least for certain seating/screen configurations, other passengers' IFE screens can be a source of light pollution and distraction.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i didnt realize sq had TV. i sleep on Y
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:00 am

Does TK have bigger screens than SQ in economy? I remember being disappointed by SQ's screen size after connecting from a TK flight lol.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:15 pm

About the only thing agreeable about this post is SQ's new economy in A350/787 is so cramped compared to the older Y on A330/77W/A380.
​​​​​​
I am a larger person so economy is always a squeeze but my wife is tiny and even she complained of discomfort.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
Are you conflating size and brightness, i.e., if the screens were the same size but 30 or 50% less bright, would you have the same perception of your flight?
Yes, I alluded to that. I think the thing of importance here is that it was a red-eye flight. Everything is dark after meal service, and many / most? people are trying to sleep or zone out. A software update could fix the brightness at a low level during red-eye / night flights. And maybe default to just turn them off...don't recall what % of people were watching? Early 5 AM? arrival in Perth.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THR
What an odd thing to complain about. I think the vast majority of passengers would enjoy them.

And the screens can be turned off or the brightness lowered (by fellow passengers that care to do so).

I for one would not support smaller screens in economy to acquiesce to people like you.
Turning off your screen, does nothing for the surrounding ambient light.

There was a time when there were no screens.... I think the artificial light contrast with a dark cabin is the biggest thing. Airlines dim the ceiling lights at night, do they not?

All these massive screens kind of defeats the purpose. You do understand the importance of DARKNESS on our biological rhythm?

An odd thing to complain about? What if I said I want to stay awake all night, there should be no light dimming ever on aircraft. Just keep it all on. Maximum brightness. Don't like it - just put on your eye shades you luddite!!! Spare me.... Some folks are just too in love with 24-7 tech...and bigger is better, etc...

Seriously...most people want to sleep on a red-eye, when the flight arrives at 5 AM!

FWIW - I used to work in the IFE industry....for the company that supplies Singapore Air....as a Product Mgr. ....we'll soon ALL learn the result of too much tech bravado...it will be unforgettable.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:35 am
hch

The screens are just as annoying in F, especially when they play the mandatory self-ads and you can't turn them of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.