Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-JNB Via SIN Unreasonably Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

SFO-JNB Via SIN Unreasonably Expensive?

Hi Everyone,

I booked and flew JNB-SIN-SFO in SQ Premium Economy in Jan 2024 and there was nothing unusual about the booking process. However, when I attempt to book a SFO-SIN-JNB fare or any itinerary originating from a US airport to JNB via SIN it's not possible to book or even search online. If I call SQ, I get quoted an outrageously expensive fare regardless of dates or class, $15k+ USD one way per person for P class in some cases.

Does anyone have an idea of why this is the case? I can't find anything that indicates its a regulatory issue or something like that.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:12 pm

It is probably because SQ (now) does not sell a fare for this city pair. And so you are given the combined fare of SFO SIN and SIN JNB.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by epigram
It is probably because SQ (now) does not sell a fare for this city pair. And so you are given the combined fare of SFO SIN and SIN JNB.
Thanks, it just seems odd to me that they'd sell the pair in one direction but not the other. I don't know if that's common or not.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SQ doesn't publish any fares SFO-JNB, either one-way or roundtrip. It does publish them in the other direction (JNB-SFO). So it would appear SQ is only serving the JNB market on this route; why that is I have no idea.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
The only way around this apparently then is to book a roundtrip fare ex JNB, which on ExpertFlyer don't look much more expensive than one-way fares in Premium Economy.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
The only way around this apparently then is to book a roundtrip fare ex JNB, which on ExpertFlyer don't look much more expensive than one-way fares in Premium Economy.
That's not going to help someone who needs to fly SFO-JNB.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.