Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Suites redemption booking cancelled by SQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, DL Silver

I ran into a frustrating issue this week with one of my SQ bookings. I had myself and my wife booked for JFK-FRA-SIN in Suites Saver in September. I called after booking to add SIN-DPS in business (as you cannot book mixed itineraries online). The SIN-DPS leg was only available on waitlist, so I made sure they added me. A few days later they called back to confirm as the seats were now made available. I gave my credit card info to cover the additional taxes/fees for that leg, and figured I was now good to go. I checked back a few weeks later, and the trip no longer showed up on my account. I called in, and apparently the waitlisted leg didn't reserve properly, so my entire JFK-FRA-SIN leg was cancelled. And now apparently those seats on the original date are gone. They offered to place us on the flight the following day, but this now shortens our trip by 1 day, and I'll need to move positioning flights/hotels/etc. on top of having a shorter trip. I do have an escalation request out, and should hear back within 24-48 hours. I've done nothing wrong, and now my entire trip is screwed up due to SQ's mistake. What should I do here? Note that we do have a return flight booked as well, with the same issue: DPS-SIN-FRA-JFK in F, with waitlisted DPS-SIN (this return trip is in Advantage, not Saver)

A couple of things came to my head:
  1. If they are able to honor the original dates, accept
  2. If they are not able to honor the original dates,
    1. Ask for a different set of dates of the original trip duration (force them to open Saver space where only Advantage is available)
    2. Ask for a different set of dates of the original trip duration (force them to open Saver space where only Advantage is available, AND ask for some form of recompense.. miles back, etc.)
    3. Accept the shortened trip, but ask for some form of recompense
    4. Accept the shortened trip as-is
    5. Lengthen my trip by a few days (probably not possible with work/family obligations)
I know I'm getting F with miles (a whopping 738k all-in!), so I'm not some hot-shot high-rev customer, but this doesn't sit right with me. Opinions and experiences appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:43 pm

Just don’t expect too much from SQ.
hurnik likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Certainly don't expect them to respond in 24-48 hours. I had a redemption booking cancelled two months ago due to an equipment change (new plane doesn't have F), still haven't been offered an alternative. I phoned about 6 weeks ago and was told it would have to be escalated, haven't heard anything since. And I emailed three months ago about a problem with their rewards, haven't heard anything there either.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by onlySIA
Certainly don't expect them to respond in 24-48 hours. I had a redemption booking cancelled two months ago due to an equipment change (new plane doesn't have F), still haven't been offered an alternative. I phoned about 6 weeks ago and was told it would have to be escalated, haven't heard anything since. And I emailed three months ago about a problem with their rewards, haven't heard anything there either.
Looks like it’s time you change your FT handle… LOL.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Looks like it’s time you change your FT handle… LOL.
Yeah am becoming disillusioned... still hoping this is a temporary lull while they recover financially but have already started looking at other options for future travel.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:25 am

Ticketed or confirm seat?

Originally Posted by onlySIA
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Just showed up as confirmed. Seat selection, etc.

I didn't receive a callback in the timeframe they promised (surprise, surprise!), so I did request another callback from customer service. I plan to ask for new dates with the same duration trip. Checked the website and ExpertFlyer to make sure 2 seats were available for both dates. I don't care about any extras at this point I just want to confirm the Suites travel and stop thinking about it.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn
Ticketed or confirm seat?
Ticketed and confirmed. I spent about two and a half hours on hold when I called up after the cancellation email before getting through to an operator who said there were no seats available on either of the two flights with first class cabin that day. My return flight from Singapore hasn't been changed though. And I still haven't heard anything about a replacement ticket for a different flight.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Finally got a resolution:

SQ allowed me to change dates to whatever I wanted while honoring the original Saver pricing for the outbound flight. The flights I ended up choosing were listed as waitlist Advantage, but I was able to instantly get ticketed. I’m fine with that, still irks me that their issue caused me to have to change trip dates.
trooper, Takubon and onlySIA like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
That's a pretty good resolution, you should be quite pleased as others in similar situation didn't get even close to those results.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Question for you - similar yet different to the OP, though the title of the thread fits.

I had a saver SQ A380 suites trip booked via KrisFlyer during pandemic. Of course it was cancelled.

I want to travel on this ticket. There is no space on or around the dates I want (even at the advantage level, as SQ seems to be holding back all A380 F award space on SQ317 LHR-SIN).

SQ is telling me there is nothing they can do. Is that really the case? In fact, they say they cannot even change the date at current pricing, I can only cancel and start over. That creates another problem, as the credit card I used (where the taxes/fees refund would go - nearly $400 due to UK APD) I no longer have. I don't even do business with that company any longer.

Am I out of luck or should I keep calling or emailing?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:47 pm

How about JFK-SFO-SIN, EWR-SIN or JFK-LAX-SIN then on to DPS
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by danielonn
How about JFK-SFO-SIN, EWR-SIN or JFK-LAX-SIN then on to DPS
No Suites and F on these routes
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Question for you - similar yet different to the OP, though the title of the thread fits.

I had a saver SQ A380 suites trip booked via KrisFlyer during pandemic. Of course it was cancelled.

I want to travel on this ticket. There is no space on or around the dates I want (even at the advantage level, as SQ seems to be holding back all A380 F award space on SQ317 LHR-SIN).

SQ is telling me there is nothing they can do. Is that really the case? In fact, they say they cannot even change the date at current pricing, I can only cancel and start over. That creates another problem, as the credit card I used (where the taxes/fees refund would go - nearly $400 due to UK APD) I no longer have. I don't even do business with that company any longer.

Am I out of luck or should I keep calling or emailing?
Need more detail to understand your predicament... you say it was cancelled: was any explanation given, and were the points returned to your account? Has the date of the trip already passed or is the intended date yet to come?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think OP had a ticketed Suites booking (award, probably saver) where the flight got cancelled due to Covid.

Now the expectation is that SQ will rebook it to a desired day in future.

Most likely that will mean for OP finding saver space and we all can guess how that will go. SQ will not be inclined to open saver for someone that holds such a ticket, right or wrong in anyone's view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.