Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Prior thread running 2009-2021 can be found here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1366831-general-sq-questions-2009-2021-a.html
Print Wikipost

General SQ Questions: 2022-

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thumbs up General SQ Questions: 2022-

Could anyone please point me to the terms where SQ has made a change to our booking ie flight cancelled and they are offering a new flight which does not meet with our connection and we would therefore need a new flight around 8 hours later. In short is it 3 or 5 hour time change to allow for a refund?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Could anyone please point me to the terms where SQ has made a change to our booking ie flight cancelled and they are offering a new flight which does not meet with our connection and we would therefore need a new flight around 8 hours later. In short is it 3 or 5 hour time change to allow for a refund?

use this form.

https://www.singaporeair.com/request.form
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: AS Peon
Trying to figure out the best return from MLE at the end of March - I have MLE-SIN-EWR booked in J right now, with a redeye into SIN, a ~16 hour layover, then leave SIN around midnight and get into EWR around 6 AM. This is mostly fine - originally had lie flat seats MLE-SIN, recently changed to a 738 so that sucks, and not being able to leave SIN sucks some too, but the airport seems like it could largely keep us entertained for long enough. Hopefully showers at a lounge would be available as well, but haven't looked into this yet.

However, SIN-JFK is also available on the same day right now. It leaves SIN around noon and arrives around 6:30 PM into JFK. This would be around a 5 hour layover in SIN instead, which sounds nice, however the timing of getting into JFK is such that we'd have to spend a night nearby and catch an early morning flight out of JFK to get home the next day.

I'm still kind of expecting that one of SIN-EWR and SIN-JFK will be nixed before too long, but I also would have expected it to happen by now. So assuming that both continue to exist, which would you take? I'm thinking that SIN-JFK with less time in SIN and just whatever hotel near JFK to crash at will be better overall, ideally helping us get over the jetlag a bit sooner since we'll be able to go to bed a few hours after landing. Also, while reading a bit more recent reviews I came across this experience of transiting Changi, which makes a shorter layover even more compelling. I've never been to Asia though, and certainly haven't been on a flight as long as SIN-JFK, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as jetlag goes. Would love to hear others' thoughts though!
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I transited SIN recently and the experience was as per the link which you posted. We were in Business and were basically corralled into a holding pen until our flight was boarding.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Trying to figure out the best return from MLE at the end of March - I have MLE-SIN-EWR booked in J right now, with a redeye into SIN, a ~16 hour layover, then leave SIN around midnight and get into EWR around 6 AM. This is mostly fine - originally had lie flat seats MLE-SIN, recently changed to a 738 so that sucks, and not being able to leave SIN sucks some too, but the airport seems like it could largely keep us entertained for long enough. Hopefully showers at a lounge would be available as well, but haven't looked into this yet.

However, SIN-JFK is also available on the same day right now. It leaves SIN around noon and arrives around 6:30 PM into JFK. This would be around a 5 hour layover in SIN instead, which sounds nice, however the timing of getting into JFK is such that we'd have to spend a night nearby and catch an early morning flight out of JFK to get home the next day.

I'm still kind of expecting that one of SIN-EWR and SIN-JFK will be nixed before too long, but I also would have expected it to happen by now. So assuming that both continue to exist, which would you take? I'm thinking that SIN-JFK with less time in SIN and just whatever hotel near JFK to crash at will be better overall, ideally helping us get over the jetlag a bit sooner since we'll be able to go to bed a few hours after landing. Also, while reading a bit more recent reviews I came across this experience of transiting Changi, which makes a shorter layover even more compelling. I've never been to Asia though, and certainly haven't been on a flight as long as SIN-JFK, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as jetlag goes. Would love to hear others' thoughts though!
If you can get through to an agent and make the change then I'd go for MLE-SIN-JFK and avoid the 16 hour layover — you never know how the rules may change come March and you might get stuck in the holding pen (or you might not). Of course if you can't get through to anyone / don't want to spend a week trying then just wait for SIN-EWR to be cancelled and for them to rebook you.

Also if your final destination is PIT based on your profile, a ~5pm arrival at JFK still leaves you plenty of time to connect to the last JFK-PIT of the day (looks like AA/DL should both have flights departing ~8pm or thereabouts, and maybe even a 10pm depending on the day), so you can probably avoid an overnight at JFK too.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS Peon
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I transited SIN recently and the experience was as per the link which you posted. We were in Business and were basically corralled into a holding pen until our flight was boarding.
Where were you originating from when you were held in the holding pen? That blog post seems to suggest that only certain countries/risk levels are held. Of course, its always possible that the Maldives would end up there by the end of March, impossible to know for sure.

Originally Posted by truncated
If you can get through to an agent and make the change then I'd go for MLE-SIN-JFK and avoid the 16 hour layover — you never know how the rules may change come March and you might get stuck in the holding pen (or you might not). Of course if you can't get through to anyone / don't want to spend a week trying then just wait for SIN-EWR to be cancelled and for them to rebook you.

Also if your final destination is PIT based on your profile, a ~5pm arrival at JFK still leaves you plenty of time to connect to the last JFK-PIT of the day (looks like AA/DL should both have flights departing ~8pm or thereabouts, and maybe even a 10pm depending on the day), so you can probably avoid an overnight at JFK too.
You think its pretty likely that SIN-EWR will be replaced with JFK I assume then? That's my expectation as well, though not sure how important the Star Alliance connectivity at EWR is to the flight.

PIT is indeed my final destination, but unfortunately the SIN-JFK flight on the day we take it is scheduled to land around 6:30 PM, and the final JFK-PIT flight that day is 7:30 PM - unlikely to be able to make that work. There is an LGA-PIT at about 10 PM that we could potentially make, but connecting JFK to LGA is a totally different stressor that I'm unsure how willing I am to deal with...
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
You think its pretty likely that SIN-EWR will be replaced with JFK I assume then? That's my expectation as well, though not sure how important the Star Alliance connectivity at EWR is to the flight.

PIT is indeed my final destination, but unfortunately the SIN-JFK flight on the day we take it is scheduled to land around 6:30 PM, and the final JFK-PIT flight that day is 7:30 PM - unlikely to be able to make that work. There is an LGA-PIT at about 10 PM that we could potentially make, but connecting JFK to LGA is a totally different stressor that I'm unsure how willing I am to deal with...
I think if both SIN-EWR and SIN-JFK are on the schedule for the summer it's more likely that EWR gets the chop since it hasn't flown all throughout covid. And right now SQ is already back to double daily to JFK (nonstop and via FRA), and I don't see the demand for SIN-NYC being high enough to support 3 flights.

Regarding the JFK-PIT flight — I'm guessing AA hasn't loaded their summer/end of March schedule just yet — right now they're flying 4x daily JFK-PIT including a 9.30pm departure, but that goes to 1x daily from March 26 (which I suspect is the pre-covid schedule). And I think once they get around to updating that I think more flights will be added since it's clearly a slot-squatting move, so if you keep checking a bit closer in there might be an evening flight added
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:30 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Anybody know why I can find flights/spots when searching for Mumbai to Singapore and then Singapore to San Francisco individually but not book a Mumbai to San Francisco flight?

Same issue for return. When doing a Mumbai to SFO it shows no options, but if you search for each leg of the flight individually there is availability.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kumarshah
Anybody know why I can find flights/spots when searching for Mumbai to Singapore and then Singapore to San Francisco individually but not book a Mumbai to San Francisco flight?

Same issue for return. When doing a Mumbai to SFO it shows no options, but if you search for each leg of the flight individually there is availability.
Yes, transit through Singapore from India is not permitted.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by kumarshah

ask India govt. They only want direct paxes to n from Sin.

If you are looking at award seat, you can get the agent to build in stopover at SIN. In this case you can bypass the restrictions. However you need to enter Singapore and be eligible to apply for the VTP.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by sbs2716g

If you are looking at award seat, you can get the agent to build in stopover at SIN. In this case you can bypass the restrictions. However you need to enter Singapore and be eligible to apply for the VTP.
That was a great way to help Air India in the pandemic.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:03 am
Original Poster

@Emag this was early Dec from AMS. My Daughter also had the same situation from the UK.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Yes, transit through Singapore from India is not permitted.
Originally Posted by sbs2716g

Thanks for the clarity.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:45 am

I would like to know the best way to look at load for our booked SQ flights i.e. how many tickets are sold / what the seat map looks like. Trying to understand how full the flight is, understand it can/will change up until departure. Using Expertflyer and looking at the booking class I would have expected the flight to be fairly full?
Z9 C9 J9 U9 D9 S9 T9 P8 L0 R0 Y9 B9E9 M9 H0 W0 Q0 N0 V0 G0 K0

Looking at the seat map it is pretty empty, assuming the map is correct. This would be what I expect.

Is there a right/wrong/better way to do this? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
I would like to know the best way to look at load for our booked SQ flights i.e. how many tickets are sold / what the seat map looks like. Trying to understand how full the flight is, understand it can/will change up until departure. Using Expertflyer and looking at the booking class I would have expected the flight to be fairly full?
Z9 C9 J9 U9 D9 S9 T9 P8 L0 R0 Y9 B9E9 M9 H0 W0 Q0 N0 V0 G0 K0

Looking at the seat map it is pretty empty, assuming the map is correct. This would be what I expect.

Is there a right/wrong/better way to do this? Thanks in advance.
seat map not accurate because of seat selection fee. Seem like J/PY is not full. For Y, the lowest booking class (lite n value) are gone. Seem like only Y standard and flexi fare.

however some time SQ may have just allocate very few seats in the lowest fare class depending on the date. For some dates, they might sell at the standard class n flexi only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.