Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIA joy flights SIN-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: IHG Plat; HH Gold; Accor Plat
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
It doesn't look like people will be interested, but if they put in qualifying miles in, then it will be a completely different story.

I suggest that they should do the 'Flights-to-Nowhere+Staycation+Food-Tasting' package to boost the economy.

Even better, these kinds of deals can help all countries too, and they can stick.
Better make Package Redeem by MILES,
also Redeeming Miles still Qualify for Tier Achievement and get Miles (similare to VS Atlantic promo)

Will bet you, all will RUSH to redeem...
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
SQ does not have any edge on staycation or Food-tasting unless you prefer in-flight meals on the ground instead of the numerous restaurants all over the island.

$200 for a glass of champagne? Seriously?
Well if they were to do this, I suggest that they have some sort of better dining experience onboard or have some better dining experience at the airport or hotel. IMHO, they can control the QA of food better on the ground or at the hotel.

Many airlines can follow suit too. Well you can't sell $1.5k a ticket, but $300-$500 SGD and you can keep the aircraft rolling and help at least a bit operational expense? Yeah. I would do it.

I don't know if they can still fly the people and get to the final destination but restrict people from leaving the aircraft while the transfer the cargo. Not sure how it will fare about the the slots, landing fees, maintenance, etc...
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF

$200 for a glass of champagne? Seriously?
Considering some folk are keen to drop $thousands on first class just to drink dom and get into a lounge, yes very serious.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
you should understand the district cooling system Singapore installs before making such uneducated comments.
No expert here, its difficult to argue that making the cooling even colder will save energy, right? Nothing stopping the centralised plants from increasing the temperature by a few degrees to a reasonable temperature. Cooling liquid takes energy, reducing that cooling would result in less energy consumption.

Lets be honest, SG loves their AC. I even find when flying SIA I'm layering while on board, whereas when flying other carriers I'm generally shedding layers.

On topic, I understood the intent was to offer a fly and bed package, with transfer from changi to the accommodation also included.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
No one sets temprature to 18 degrees at home.

Singapore does have a few islands locals visit by boats or ferries, just name a few, Pulau Ubin, St. John's, Kusu, Sisters', Pulau Hantu, Pulau Semakau. All these are good for outdoor activities, hiking, picnic, etc.
Yes. I've been to most of them several times. And there's plenty of nature reserves to spend a few hours in has well. But it's not quite the same

Anyway I think we're looking at this from the wrong angle, because this is Flyertalk. People aren't going to pay $200 just for the questionable "perks" of flying, like a glass of champagne. We are not the target audience, and some people well just want to fly for the experience of flying. When I was 17, and never flown , it was an amazing experience and still was for the first dozen or so flights (not so much now, well over 1900 flights later). Maybe there are a few out there who would pay to fly for the experience of just flying, and not think about the rest.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by davidj1
Considering some folk are keen to drop $thousands on first class just to drink dom and get into a lounge, yes very serious.
I doubt that it is only for the Dom or the lounge. The Dom and lounge are just the extra.

$thousands can buy yourself a lot of Dom. There is nothing special about a lounge. It is mostly because people want to fly.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:14 pm

Not relating to SQ, but another airline is operating such a flight, ex-SYD. And it's 7 hours! From a place where people can still fly (intra-state at least) domestically.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/promoti...3Ann%3Aen%3Ann

And in good old QF marketing fashion, the are offering miles and status credits to reel in the suckers make it appeal to their loyal customer base. They are also offering it for pre-sale to high tier members (there ability to suck people into the whole QF brand is amazing, whilst SQ tries to rely on its product, QF is a master at smokes and mirrors). If indications on local frequent flyer discussion boards are any indication, people will be lapping it up!

Edit: apparently seats were sold out within 10 mins.
Singapore_Air and davidj1 like this.

Last edited by lokijuh; Sep 16, 2020 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Not relating to SQ, but another airline is operating such a flight, ex-SYD. And it's 7 hours! From a place where people can still fly (intra-state at least) domestically.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/promoti...3Ann%3Aen%3Ann

And in good old QF marketing fashion, the are offering miles and status credits to reel in the suckers make it appeal to their loyal customer base. They are also offering it for pre-sale to high tier members (there ability to suck people into the whole QF brand is amazing, whilst SQ tries to rely on its product, QF is a master at smokes and mirrors). If indications on local frequent flyer discussion boards are any indication, people will be lapping it up!

Edit: apparently seats were sold out within 10 mins.
the segment for Fly to Nowhere really exist duh!

FYI nobody fly First class using Cash'
Qantas has their Fans
SQ also has fans who collect miles status

Last edited by HannsenBos3; Sep 17, 2020 at 11:17 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 17, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by HannsenBos3
FYI nobody fly First class using Cash'
Oh then I guess SQ's PPS program is just for show and probably has 0 membership

I kid, I kid. I don't know how many % of SQ's F pax are paid vs award, but I do know of a handful of affuent people who most certainly do pay cash for first class for their travels.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:05 pm

the segment for Fly to Nowhere really exist duh!
FYI nobody fly First class uaing Cash'
On that specific flight, definitely not. First Class doesn't exist on the aircraft!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
Oh then I guess SQ's PPS program is just for show and probably has 0 membership

I kid, I kid. I don't know how many % of SQ's F pax are paid vs award, but I do know of a handful of affuent people who most certainly do pay cash for first class for their travels.
on that aside, I even know Crazy Rich Asian Billionaire who buy Miles for his whole Family hahaa

Yes PPS existed, but rarely to find people use his personal cash,
you will find travelers who are on Business Trip paid by companies,
or Business Owner who reimburse tickets to his own company.
Money does not grow on tree lehh

Last edited by HannsenBos3; Sep 17, 2020 at 11:16 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: Alaska
on that aside, I even know Crazy Rich Asian Billionaire who buy Miles for his whole Family hahaa

Yes PPS existed, but rarely to find people use his personal cash,
you will find travelers who are on Business Trip paid by companies,
or Business Owner who reimburse tickets to his own company.
Money does not grow on tree lehh
on that perspective, business class is actually the profitable factor for SQ. First class, most of the time, is just icing on the cake. The number of first class seats will just go down further, with more business class and premium economy. After all, today’s business class is almost equivalent first class a few years ago.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by davidj1
Some locals are creating noise on the environmental impacts of this move:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...d-with-flights

Have not yet heard a beep on how Singaporeans love to double and triple bag everything, run air conditioners to the lowest 'blizzard' setting, and are generally oblivious to recycling. Go figure!

i did not see these people make noise when star cruise or royal Caribbean have those cruise to no where cruise.
davidj1 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:36 am

Update: the proposed sightseeing "flight to nowhere" isn't happening.

From a press release issued today by SQ regarding its "Discover Your Singapore Airlines" program:

The Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences are the result of a market study and a comprehensive review, which also considered factors such as the attractiveness of the initiatives to SIA’s customers and members of the public, the environmental implications, and their financial viability. An idea for a one-off short tour flight, or a “flight to nowhere”, was also initially considered but not pursued after the review.
So what did get the nod? Again, from the press release:

* Restaurant A380 @changi offers an exclusive dining experience with SIA’s award- winning service inside the Airbus A380, the world’s largest passenger aircraft. Diners can choose from special menus for each cabin class. Options include our signature international cuisine, as well as the best dishes from our special Peranakan menu that has been designed by acclaimed Singaporean chef Shermay Lee. Limited slots for an exclusive pre-lunch tour of the A380 will also be available. All diners will receive KrisShop discounts, a limited edition goodie bag and additional gifts if they turn up in traditional heritage wear. Reservations start on 12 October 2020, and Restaurant A380 @changi will operate on 24 and 25 October 2020.

* Over two weekends in November during the school holidays, Inside Singapore Airlines will provide an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of our training facilities with a wide range of activities for the entire family. Visitors will be brought on a tour of more than 70 years of SIA’s history, get an opportunity to interact with our pilots and cabin crew, and find out more about the intensive training that they undergo. Children can enjoy craft activities such as balloon sculpting and making their own batik roses. They will also have the option to dress up and role play as cabin crew, and take home their very own SIA sarong kebaya uniform. Adults can choose to operate a full flight simulator, taste some of our premium in-flight wine labels, and attend a grooming workshop. A selection of the most popular meals that are served on board SIA flights will also be on sale. Bookings open on 1 November 2020, and the tours will be held on 21, 22, 28 and 29 November 2020.

* SIA@Home is for customers who are keen to enjoy the world-renowned SIA in-flight dining experience in the comfort of their own home. They can choose from 10 menus featuring our exclusive First Class and Business Class meals, which will come complete with wine or champagne. Limited edition dining ware and amenities are also available depending on the package chosen. The special cabin crew concierge service for SIA@Home bookings opens on 5 October 2020.

More information on the Discover Your Singapore Airlines experiences can be found on the Singapore Airlines website. All three experiences will be exclusively available for booking via the KrisShop website. KrisFlyer members can redeem their miles to pay for these experiences or earn miles on their purchases.
sl00001 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I am only interested in the simulator experience. Wondering what they will charge. A 30 min simulator flight at the 737 Simulator Experience ( at the Singapore Flyer) goes for S$175.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.